Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place, this will be a long post but please bear with me, I'm feeling borderline hopeless about my skin! I've had mild to moderate acne since middle school and it seemed to get better in my teens but since going away to college last year it's gotten worse. Almost two months ago I decided to visited the dermatologist who told me I have sensitive skin and told me to switch to Cetaphil cleanser and Vanicream Lite lotion as well as prescribing me with Differin (a topical cream applied at night) and the antibiotic Minocycline. He told me to wash my face only two times a day. All this helped at first, clearing up nearly all of my mild acne and reducing my pore size a lot. However I still have constant, painful cystic acne on my chin (right now I have two) and about two hours after I apply makeup my skin becomes shiny and it gets progressively shinier/greasier looking until I wash it again. Since it looks gross and I can't go without makeup because of all the redness (if I'm alone I prolong wearing it until I have to), I usually end up washing it three times per day. So my questions to you guys are:
1. Does washing my face three times a day really irritate it a lot? And if it does, what should I do about the shininess?
2. Are there any supplements or foods I should be eating for my skin? Iâ€2122m a jobless college student and kind of a picky eater, so something cheap please! Also I just bought zinc tablets but I havenâ€2122t tried them yet, should I?
3. Are there any prescribed products I should ask my dermatologist about? I have another appointment this Friday.
Other random things that may be important are I wear Bare Essentials makeup, I never wear liquid foundation, when I do wash my face multiple times a day it sometimes gets peely, I drink a good amount of water each day, I use fragrance free detergent and wash my pillow case frequently, I have red hair and pale skin, I donâ€2122t go tanning or lay out frequently, I eat a lot of chocolate (although Iâ€2122ve heard this doesnâ€2122t matter), as a teen I was once prescribed Tazorac and it was terrible for my skin, and finally Iâ€2122ve tried proactive, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, any many brands/ lotions and none have cured my acne.

I know this is a long post but any input would be appreciated, I'm getting very depressed about my situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site! There are lots of people with the same issues! You are right the proactive won't do it. Eating lots of fresh fruits and vegies is always a plus, I'm in my forties and never had cystic acnee till my middle thrities! I tried everything too. What did work for me thought, was dermabrassion- (the cheap kind, you can do at home) I use the avon one- in a tube and honestly I was more concerned about my wrinkles than my acnee at the time. I had given up on a clear complexion- well not only did it work on those wrinkles, but suprise it cleared up my skin too! I do it once a week, the tube itself may last up to 6 - months if you do it once a week, and I think it's only 20$. You may want to give it a try- or even ask an avon rep for a couple of samples to try it out for a couples of weeks- (yes they do have smaples of it) then just wear a light moisturizer as well as a GOOD Sunblock! Good Luck, I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Catalina, I think you may be my sole mate. As I read your post, I felt like I had written it about myself. I'm a college kid with the same issues. I hope we both can find answers to our problems. Once we do, we will then meet up at a nice coffee shop in New York one day with beautiful skin and we'll get married. Hope this works for you.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Catalina, I think you may be my sole mate. As I read your post, I felt like I had written it about myself. I'm a college kid with the same issues. I hope we both can find answers to our problems. Once we do, we will then meet up at a nice coffee shop in New York one day with beautiful skin and we'll get married. Hope this works for you.
That is too cute aarforce!!

Catalina I too had cystic acne. So I do feel your pain!!

Cetaphil cleanser is good. Stay away from benzoyl peroxide. It will cause you more harm than good. Differin is a great topical. But you could also ask for Clindamycin and see if that helps better than the differin. I actually used both. Differin in the AM and Clindamycin in the PM.

Washing 3 times a day is totally not necessary and will not help your acne, but could cause it to be worse. Day and night is all you need to wash your face. Also, if you get greasy throughout the day you could try oil blotting papers and see if this helps at all. If you use a sunscreen, get an oil free one and do not apply moisturizer. Use your sunscreen in place of your moisturizer. Otherwise you will be even greasier.

Bare Essentials has bismuth in it. Which is not good for those with acne skin. Look for a mineral makeup without bismuth if you can. Here are a few that I know of that are bismuth free. GloMinerals, Illuminare, and Jane Iredale. I know there are a lot more you would just have to look at the ingredient list for them.

Yes, take the zinc!!

Do not give up, there is hope. But do not stress too much over it, it will only make matters worse. Being a mom to a college boy, I know college alone causes enough stress!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
whats wrong with beozoyl peroxide?? I'm not using it at the moment since im on retin-a but it usually what I use when I have bad breakouts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all your tips! I've been trying to only wash my face 2x a day and I started taking the zinc yesterday. I'm a little hesitant to try dermabrasion since exfoliators have irritated my skin in the past but I'll ask my derm this weekend about that as well as about cylndamycin. I looked up some non bismuth makeups online and ordered a sample of one, I was surprised at how many people said after switching from Bare Essentials their skin improved!

By the way thanks aarforce27 that's really sweet, good luck with your skin as well

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Thank you for all your tips! I've been trying to only wash my face 2x a day and I started taking the zinc yesterday. I'm a little hesitant to try dermabrasion since exfoliators have irritated my skin in the past but I'll ask my derm this weekend about that as well as about cylndamycin. I looked up some non bismuth makeups online and ordered a sample of one, I was surprised at how many people said after switching from Bare Essentials their skin improved!

By the way thanks aarforce27 that's really sweet, good luck with your skin as well
I bet if you stopped using the BE your face would improve. Also, the other topical you could ask about is Benzaclin gel. I still use this one from time to time and have great results!!

Best of luck, and keep us posted!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lots of water

Mild cleansers

Oil free, fragrance free, water based moisturizer gels, glytone makes a good one

Salicylic acid peels are great but you said you have already tried those?

When I had bad acne, my derm prescribed me Erythromycin, Retin A and Benzoyl Peroxide...together. Erythro went on first, then Retin A and then the Benzoyl. It worked with periodic peels in the middle.

Btw, BE is not good for acneic skin. It always made me break out again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Catalina. I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling so down...i have had many of those bad days. Have you heard of or tried Roaccutan (think the spelling is right)? ask your doc about it (just please note that while using this product you should stay out of the sun and you can also not be pregnant or fall pregnant while using and about 4 months after using). I was on Roaccutan for 3 months about 5 years ago and hardly ever get a pimple! as for shine control, este lauder has an amazing matt finish foundation that should keep the oilyness under control and also just keep some face powder with you at all times
there is also a face cream called Gamma Hydroxy which is great for clearing up the skin.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Catalina! Welcome!
Sounds like your situation is very similar to mine a few years back! I know this is going to be super long but I really think some of this will help you!
In answer to your original questions...as others have said, yes, washing your face 3 times will irritate your skin and probably dry you out. As far as your cystic acne on the chin why dont you try a spot treatment as well as the Differin (it will have a different active ingredient which may help with on the spot treatments). If you apply it early enough you could probably put your makeup on right over it allow 45 min to an hour to dry and let your skin absorb some of the medication. Also, differin helps to speed up cell turnover, leaving you with lots of dead skin and on some people peeling and flakieness. Once a week so some kind of at home dermabrasion, Mony mentioned the Avon brand which is nice. I also like the Mary Kay Microdermabrasion (but you may have to purchase all 3 steps Im not sure & I dont advise the use of their moisturizer on ance prone skin) or the new Neutrogena wave works great for dermabrasion it comes with smooth or rough pads you just stick on the end and throw away when your done! (about $15 @ Target). That should help with your cleansing routine.

Here is a site/article which will help you with the Zinc & eating aspect of your question. If your in the US and have a WinCo in your area they sell bulk foods which is ultra cheap for whole grains and stuff. Thats where I shopped in college and saved myself thousands of $$$!
Zinc Acne Treatment BREAKTHROUGH

Are you taking birth control? Your hormones could be unbalanced which is normal for your age so asking your "girl" doctor or dermatologist to switch to or begin taking a bc that is specific to the treatment of acne could help. (there are many to choose from in different forms)

I have the most oily skin in the world! I also used to wash and re-apply my makeup at least once a day. BUT I DONT ANYMORE!!

Let me tell you about a couple of products which have saved my life!!

Firstly what do you use for a moisturizer? If you don't use one that is a HUGE contributor to your cystic acne. While you dry out your skin topically your body is freaking out thinking that it is not producing enough sebum (the natural oil your body produces to keep your skin moist) so it produces more (which makes your skin extremely oily only a couple of hours after washing your face) so get a good oil-free daily moisturizer that does NOT contain any acne treatment medications. Neutrogena is bound to have a good one & their stuff is great. Use it in the morning before makeup when you arent applying the differin.

Secondly, throw away your bare minerals it contains bismuth and like gymrat said its CRAP! She reccomended some good ones for you but they're somewhat pricey. I work in the skincare industry and can not rave enough about the somewhat new Physicians Formula Organic wearÂae 100% Natural Origin Matte Finishing & Bronzing Veils!!! I LOVE
this product and could never live without it again! I dumped my liquid foundations and bare minerls 3 step system right in the trash upon purchasing this item.
Physicians Formula: Organic wearÂae 100% Natural Origin Matte Finishing & Bronzing Veils

Its CHEAP! ($13.95) Its MATTE, which us oily skin people love to hear! It is organic, so read the ingredient label.. no CRAP!!! Doesnt clog pores I even sleep in it when lazy & no problems the next morning!! Its also only ONE STEP!! how easy! I use it as a foundation, bronzer, and finishing veil all in one! Just cover your face add some blush from the same Physicians Formula Organic line & your done! It does not become oily like liquids, it lasts all day, and if Im super busy and do notice any oil on my face I just whip it out of my purse (it comes with brush attached) and so a quick sweep across my face & I am good to go!

Finally...If you feel your oil problems are extremely severe (which mine are) you may want to look into something like Mary Kays Oil Mattifier

Oil Mattifier

Another thing I could NEVER live again without. It doesnt have any harmful or pore clogging ingredients but not everyone will recommend it because it does contain alcohol (which can be to drying for some people). You can also re apply it throughout the day but I opt to carry along these little oil blotter pads

Beauty BlottersÂae Oil-Absorbing Tissues

They do not remove your makeup like the clearasil ones do.

Hopefully this all helps I know its like a novel!! But these products have changed my life enormously! I can never thank the people who recommended them to me enough!

My attitude has gone from this
to this

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys thanks for all your input! Many of you recommended switching from BE and I stopped using that a week ago- oh my gosh my skin cleared up amazingly! I'm now wearing Mineral Silk. My skin isn't perfect but I haven't had any new cystic acne and the stuff I had is almost gone
I went back to the dermatologist last week and he gave me a new medicine that ended up giving me some hives so I had to discontinue it. As for birth control I'm taking a progestin only pill which i like because I take it every day (period or not) and it makes my periods lighter. BC has never really effected my skin. I'm currently washing my face 2x per day with Cetaphil, still using Vani cream and still applying Differin at night. I feel a lot better about my skin now even though it's not perfect and you guys have helped me a lot!! I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted to add that if proactiv did not work for you, you can also try SOOTHE its made by the creators of proactiv Rodan and Fields. I have used it in the past when I would get skin irritations. This product is made for people with sensitive skin. I have actually tried alot of their new products and they have worked for me. I know that what works for one person may not work for another but I like that SOOTHE is a three step regimen. You should try it.
Send me a message if you would like to try it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts