Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Avene Innovations retinaldehyde cream which is supposed to be a precursor of retin A. Has anyone used this product, and if so, did it do any good in terms of wrinkle reduction.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Avene Innovations retinaldehyde cream which is supposed to be a precursor of retin A. Has anyone used this product, and if so, did it do any good in terms of wrinkle reduction.

I have heard of it, but have not used it. Do you use Retin A? If so, and you do try the Avene let us know how it compares.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I never use precursors. I find that retinol and most precursors are cosmetic manufacturers way of cashing in on the only proven anti-aging creams available. I have taken "precursor" supplements to many various things and realised at some point I was wasting my time and after having used retinol ages ago I can say it is a good irritant--how much more I do not know and if anything were close enough to retin-a to do what it has then it would be fast made an RX only cream-unfortunately.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never use precursors. I find that retinol and most precursors are cosmetic manufacturers way of cashing in on the only proven anti-aging creams available. I have taken "precursor" supplements to many various things and realised at some point I was wasting my time and after having used retinol ages ago I can say it is a good irritant--how much more I do not know and if anything were close enough to retin-a to do what it has then it would be fast made an RX only cream-unfortunately.
Hi thanks for your reply. I won't waste my money on retinol. My skin is sensitive and I guess I had better go to a dermatologist for a peel or laser. I can't see myself waiting months and months for results which I may never get. Maybe I will try the real thing retin A. In a final note, my dermatologist gave me a prescription for azeilic acid and when I went to fill, and I have prescription insurance, it still costs $60.00. Lord, I thougt I get a break with the cost, but I didn't. Without a insurance it costs $130.00.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Your derm gave you a Rx for topical Azelaic Acid for wrinkles or for acne?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard of it, but have not used it. Do you use Retin A? If so, and you do try the Avene let us know how it compares.
If I buy it I will definitely let you know how it worked. I'm saving to get a face lift instead of spending a fortune on all these creams and serums. When I pull my facial skin back I hardly have any wrinkles. The current jowls and crepey neck have to go sooner than later. I'll be 69 and think much younger than I look. To think of it, I easily could have had the money for a face lift if I hadn't spent so much money on topicals over the years. But let's face it the last resort is surgery. I don't think anyone wants to go under, than cut with a knife. Oh where is my acceptance that at one point I'll have to accept looking old. Brazil is a country where plastic surgery is free. I saw an interesting documentary. These two old ladies looked like burn victims with all the face lifts they had. It was freaky they had waxy faces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your derm gave you a Rx for topical Azelaic Acid for wrinkles or for acne?
Actually, she gave it to me for adult acne. I complained to her about the pimples that are bumps under the skin that never seem to come to a head. She usually prescribes it for Rosasia (I can't spell). Additionally, she said it's a skin lightener and supposedly a hair growth product down the road. I have a lot of crows feet for not wearing sunglasses in Florida for 23 years. I always forget to put them on, but I don't forget the sunscreen ever. I had a small skin cancer on my arm, very small and it was removed easily and quickly with no real scar just a white spot.

We all know that white is in, but in Florida it's impossible to achieve this no matter how much sunscreen you use or what the factor is. I use 95 on my face before I go out shopping or doing anything.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Actually, she gave it to me for adult acne. I complained to her about the pimples that are bumps under the skin that never seem to come to a head. She usually prescribes it for Rosasia (I can't spell). Additionally, she said it's a skin lightener and supposedly a hair growth product down the road. I have a lot of crows feet for not wearing sunglasses in Florida for 23 years. I always forget to put them on, but I don't forget the sunscreen ever. I had a small skin cancer on my arm, very small and it was removed easily and quickly with no real scar just a white spot.

We all know that white is in, but in Florida it's impossible to achieve this no matter how much sunscreen you use or what the factor is. I use 95 on my face before I go out shopping or doing anything.
I hear that!! I live in CA and wear sunscreen ALL THE TIME!! I get sun just driving. It is impossible to avoid it around here.

Azelaic acid (Azelex) is good for acne. I have used it before. There is an Azelaic acid (Finacea) that is a gel form that is used for Rosacea. Give the Azelaic a try, I liked it.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I've been wanting to try Retin A for my fine lines and the crow's feet that are forming. I'll be 48 next month and want to nip these in the bud before they are deep wrinkles. Also am getting a glycolic complex and some TCA 12.5 % to do at home. (Scared!)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
These are the ladies who are knowledgeable about peels:

BTW you look great for 48!
Thank you so much for that kind compliment! I want to keep it that way! LOL I read that thread... I'm scared and excited!
Guess I'll post questions on that thread too, and I did start a new thread.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I could also give support to the ladies posting about thinning hair! OUCH! I know how that is. Mine is hereditary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts