Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Janie. I've lived in Anchorage, Alaska for the past 32 years with the exception of a mid-life crisis when I returned to school for an OT degree. I'm divorced with no children; 1 cat. I'm 56 years old but could alwyas get away looking much younger until last year: my MD took me off of Premarin and all hell broke loose... I gained weight, lot it, now my skin is lookig sorta wrinkly. MY NECK ESPECIALLY. I've visited with a plastic surgeon and I'm serioulsy considering it to remove loose skin. I'm returing to San Diego area to be closer to aging family members.... the sun is popular there and I like a nice tan -- So, to prioritize, it's my neck that worries me the most. I recently purchased a product called Revision Nectifirm from the plactis surgeon office. Insude the phamplet, another product is mentioned: RevoxxII. Mind you, this new purchase sits along side about $700 worth of Schiedo and probably anoth $$$ of Estee Lauder products.

What have you all tried that works? HELP!! At the collection price of these products, I could have gone the surgery route already....

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI Janie! Welcome!
I can sure sympathize with you, as can most everyone else here! The neck is so special to treat!
I tried the Nectifirm too and ended up giving it to my sister since it did nothing for me.
My advice is to try facial exercise and massage before committing to surgery. You can always have some procedure later if needed, but that isn't permanent, as you know. The exercises are something you can do your whole life long.
Hope you find a lot of good info here!
fawnie

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yeah I missed the part about the "I like a nice tan" Peri!

The #1 thing you can do to prevent further damage is to wear a decent sunscreen! Especially the neck and chest get a lot of sun exposure! All the time and money spent on procedures and topical products is wasted if someone continues to tan!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well janie you are right the sun is popular in CA as it shines 90% of the time. But living here doesn't mean you can't avoid the dangers of it. I have lived here my entire life, and wear sunscreen 24/7. This doesn't mean you can't go out and enjoy the weather, you totally can. I surely wouldn't be out basking in the sun because "I enjoy a nice tan". Who doesn't like a nice tan? They make some great sunless tanning products!

To have surgery done on your neck to remove excess skin is totally up to you. But don't waste your money if you plan on sun bathing.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Welcome to the site. What is an "OT degree"?

Yes, I agree with the others - the first thing to do is to avoid exposure to the sun via proper use of sunscreen.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Wow... yall must have some mean uv indexes at night in Cali. to be wearing a sunscreen 24/7
LOL, you know it!! Actually, the 24 is my age, and 7 is the hours I wear sunscreen-
(sorry for not clarifying)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Old Testament degree? Maybe! Is there such a thing? What would it qualify one to do?
Yes, one could get a masters or a doctoral degree in biblical studies with a major in the Old Testament. It would qualify one to teach either in the religious studies department of a college or university or in a seminary.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah! And a good change at that! Do you ever go all day without talking? It's peaceful and refreshing. I could be a monk I believe.
Most days I am home alone all day and do not talk at all. If I go out I make sure that I talk to someone even if it is just a clerk in the store. Sometimes at home I will either sing while I practice on the piano or read aloud to myself just so that I use my voice. It is so true - if you do not use a part of your body, you can lose it.

It is a strange situation to be in - I am accustomed to being engaged with people all day long, so this period for me is a nice break from the rat race but also a bit lonesome at times. I would not recommend it for a long time. Folks that do it for a lifetime are definitely a unique bunch.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Most days I am home alone all day and do not talk at all. If I go out I make sure that I talk to someone even if it is just a clerk in the store. Sometimes at home I will either sing while I practice on the piano or read aloud to myself just so that I use my voice. It is so true - if you do not use a part of your body, you can lose it.

It is a strange situation to be in - I am accustomed to being engaged with people all day long, so this period for me is a nice break from the rat race but also a bit lonesome at times. I would not recommend it for a long time. Folks that do it for a lifetime are definitely a unique bunch.
Awwwhhh Stop it Mireckca, you are going to make me cry
, I honestly don't know if I could ever live alone. Especially, when you say you read outloud to just hear your voice!! I know that when I am home just for the day by myself, I can't wait for my son or DH to come in just so I can talk to them. I don't really like to talk on the phone, unless I am driving- (sorry fawnie I know you want to wring my neck right now)!! That is my phone time, in my car. Its the only way you get my undivided attention.

But really mireckca, please get a roommate, I would feel so much better!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts