Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some emergency advice! I am trying all sorts of oils and moisture lotions, aquaphor etc. I have ceased my exfoliating regime and saw improvement the first couple of days immediately. NOW suddenly and overnight, I woke up to what I can only describe as keritinized skin all over, especially arms where I exfoliated the most. It is almost like I have a sheel on top of my skin, it moves almost uniformly like leather skin. I am sure this is part of the healing process but obviously it is distressing to me as it looks even older than the crepe-paper skin did and now it looks even more creped than before because it is more or less semi-solid like a thin shell! It feels really dehydrated and almost like it has set up its own barrier against letting anything in.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi

It sounds like eschar. I would keep it hydrated and moist and let it resolve on its own.

Things I would try:
Manuka Honey - anti-inflammatory and anti-biotic. Apply several times a day and keep moist with occlusive dressings, like the kind you can get at a drug store.

Hyaluronic acid - to draw moisture to the skin. MyChelle Ultra Hyaluronic Hydrating Serum is one I know of. Gardenofwisdom.com sells some too.

Or see a Dermatologist for any emergency issues. If it's cutting off circulation to any area, that is any emergency. If it is turning black, that is any emergency. If you are in pain and tylenol or advil isn't helping, that is any emergency.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, but it's good the old stuff is going to slough off.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Reading different posts this morning, this is the 3rd (including mine) post about sudden skin reaction to products. In all cases the skin was described "like crepe paper" -- I wonder if it is a reaction to a new ingredient in products.
???

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fawnie there is no necrosis or any signs of tissue contraction. It is truly just more or less keratinized skin. It is hard and crepe like but rather than being soft and crepe-paper like it turned into a protective layer. Other than the crepe-paper appearance it is very in line with the "tightness" I have heard and seen post ablative skin rejuvenation procedures. The thing I am thinking is that it is actually protecting new skin from being dried out and allowing it to grow underneath healthy and hydrated. I have actually, as I work from home, wrapped myself in cling-film over a vaseline and jojoba oil mixture and some aquaphor. I will also try the products you recommend too. I am certain though it is part of healing as it was hydrating and looking better then turned hard!

Mari I am convinced some of the products are causing these symptoms too. I overused many and exfoliated too much but still it seems certain products, in allegedly "sloughing off" dead skin actually was dehydrating the deepest layers of skin by drawing moisture out to create dry skin that appears to be sloghing off. It is almost a gimmick in my opinion but naturally it is hard to prove when I used a gazillion products!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of that. Most of the products are moisture barriers rather than deep penetrating moisture. I think I need to see how long before the next crop of skin cells sloughs off and the new underlying tissue rears its head! I am being very careful now. I have even skipped a shower, which I never do, because I do not want to dry out anymore than I am and know that my natural oils also need to kick in.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mari,
Is there a common product mentioned?
Products weren't mentioned -- but I got the impression all started with new products.

I think I wanted to address too many problems too quickly and I admit I was using a lot of different products. (I was exfoliating more than I normally did as well.)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think we forget to do a patch test, also, with any new products in our zeal for RESULTS! NOW! I used to just jump right in, but now exercise a bit of restraint.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Peri--yes Mari I was like you and took it a step further in that I would use the scouring end of a sponge to scrub my skin with Jan Marini Bio-Glycolic in an effort to simulate a pseudo-dermabrasion. The end result was less pigmentation issues for sure, but dry, over-exfoliated, damaged skin! I am now just working on the recovery and hoping it will start to really heal. Otherwise I may well have to consider expensive dermatological treatments. I am hoping the rest will do me some good and the healing will continue. I do get the sense it will slowly get better but I am not expecting a miracle overnight!

Yes Fawnie, restraint is something I need. Every time I would read about a product I would google and buy it! I was convinced all are better than some--to my detriment!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi,
Wow! I'd be broke if I bought everything I wanted!

Have you looked on some of the other skin forums, like MakeMeHeal.com, to research things? It can save you a lot of $$ and heartache! Just a suggestion!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lexi,
Wow! I'd be broke if I bought everything I wanted!

Have you looked on some of the other skin forums, like MakeMeHeal.com, to research things? It can save you a lot of $$ and heartache! Just a suggestion!
Believe it or not I was spending two thousand dollars a month at times on my skincare. Recently I stopped the Jan Marini products but then started a stronger AHA and copper-peptide regimen and for the face the tretinoin. Then I get all sorts of other things from time to time. It was this coupled with the damage that lead me here and to suspect I was harming my skin. I now will do research on every product I buy. I have cut back even before this due to the economy but obviously not enough!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I don't know if it would apply here - but maybe a "holiday" from everything would benefit all/many of us. I am taking so much stuff internally (supplements) and applying so much stuff externally that my weekly food bill has gone to almost ZERO. And I still cannot figure out what caused a reaction a couple of weeks ago - a new supplement or a new skin product.

Folks on tons of medications are sometimes given a "drug holiday" just to clear out their systems and start fresh (not for every situation, I know). I am inclined to strip everything back to the minimum and then reintroduce the necessary things gradually.

At the very least I need to reassess everything and not blindly repurchase things that I really do not want or need. That alone should help me alot.

Sort of like a "spring cleaning" for me. Next - a decent hair cut maybe to go with it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mirecka I do fast once every season for several days and then do not take any supplements either. That said I do need a product holiday and have done so but am now on moisture only regimen and healing regimen--so I traded one set of lotions and potions for another. I think I am a bit OCD!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't know if it would apply here - but maybe a "holiday" from everything would benefit all/many of us. I am taking so much stuff internally (supplements) and applying so much stuff externally that my weekly food bill has gone to almost ZERO. And I still cannot figure out what caused a reaction a couple of weeks ago - a new supplement or a new skin product.

Folks on tons of medications are sometimes given a "drug holiday" just to clear out their systems and start fresh (not for every situation, I know). I am inclined to strip everything back to the minimum and then reintroduce the necessary things gradually.

At the very least I need to reassess everything and not blindly repurchase things that I really do not want or need. That alone should help me alot.

Sort of like a "spring cleaning" for me. Next - a decent hair cut maybe to go with it.
So true mirecka -- I'm like a kid in a candy store when I hit the cosmetics aisle. I have too many brands, want to try everything at once and believe the ingredients in cosmetics can adversly interact the same as medication and food.

I'm going to try (it'll be difficult) to stay on the same cosmetic regime for a month and if a product doesn't give results or I have a reaction -- out it goes.

Vit C, Hydra B5 have proved their effectivenes to me, but I'm thinking of reverting to some of the old brands I used year's ago.

I love being pampered in a beauty salon!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW--an update on my skin--My neck skin, which is where i first saw the crepe-paper skin is now suddenly better. I still see it but only when I do certain "poses" to try and notice it. I still have it on my body and arms especially. It has softened some but actually looks even worse. I think now it is no longer "hard" but is now loosening naturally and as such it looks a bit saggy for lack of a better way of putting it but also it seems more "elastic" underneath the saggy top layer--if that makes any sense. I did pack myself in vaseline last night too. It felt disgusting but softened that hard outer layer.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
BTW--an update on my skin--My neck skin, which is where i first saw the crepe-paper skin is now suddenly better. I still see it but only when I do certain "poses" to try and notice it. I still have it on my body and arms especially. It has softened some but actually looks even worse. I think now it is no longer "hard" but is now loosening naturally and as such it looks a bit saggy for lack of a better way of putting it but also it seems more "elastic" underneath the saggy top layer--if that makes any sense. I did pack myself in vaseline last night too. It felt disgusting but softened that hard outer layer.
Lexi - the same thing happened to me last week. I have been targeting my face and neck with Vitamin C and Retin-A for months now, but last week I suddenly realized that my hands are pretty badly damaged by years of sun exposure. So I started hitting them with both the C+A, and suddenly their appearance worsened and took on that "crepe paper" look.

It was horrible - so I stopped the C+A, and applied a mixture of my cheap lotion/glycerin to them. It felt disgusting, as you say, but it cleared them up in just two days. I do need to treat them with C+A - but have to slow it down - diute both products and maybe use every other day. It was scary though - I know exactly what you experienced and how you felt.

I have to remember this so that I don't do it again to my hands or, even worse, to my neck or face. I hope that you too have turned the corner and can move forward in your own regimine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Mirecka,

Do you think I could apply green cream to my neck area??? I have a bit of sagging skin on my neck (has to be from all the years of tanning)

thanks

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mirecka,

Do you think I could apply green cream to my neck area??? I have a bit of sagging skin on my neck (has to be from all the years of tanning) thanks
Hi Mom - I treat my neck as an extension of my face and so apply all of my products to both. This includes my C serum, Retin-A, and sunscreen; and also do an exercise that targets the neck along with my facial exercises (do a search on this site for Fawnie's "kiss the sky" exercise). So I would say - yes, apply the GC to your neck too.

But take a gradual approach because the skin there is very sensitive, especially if you haven't used products there before. A couple of us here had a "red-neck" experience lately for being too aggressive using Retin-A on the neck, so you should also be cautious with the GC. This would also apply to the Vit C serum since it is an acid (ascorbic acid).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts