Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Although I just joined today, I've been browsing the SCT forums for about a month now. I've read many of your success stories, as well as some of your not so successful stories. I've always been very skeptical when it comes to skin lightening. Many of the products sound way too good to be true. Not to mention most of them are very expensive. It seems like several of you have had good success with HQ 4%/Retin A 0.1% and the Mono 20%. I'm not really sure how the Mono 20% works. It completely removes melanin? Do you stop using the product or decrease applications once you've achieved the complexion you want? I guess I'm trying to figure out how you would avoid lightening too much, since I'm assuming the results are permanent and irreversible.

I haven't had a chance to read all of the threads in depth but it looks like Ondine is our skin lightening guru
. Ondine I see you've tried both the HQ 4%/ Retin A 0.1% combination and also the Mono 20%. How did they work for you? Like you, I need to first lighten some of my problem areas first (elbows, knuckles, knees, STRETCH MARKS yuck!!), then I'll focus on lightening my entire body. I want to even out and brighten my complexion, and lighten 1-2 shades. Where are you at in that process? Have you lightened a shade? 2 shades? Etc. Do you prefer one method over the other? Do you use any particular soaps or cleansers? Moisturizers? Sunscreens? Do you have any before and after photos? Sorry to overwhelm you with all the questions...just a little excited!

I definitely welcome advice, tips, pictures, and any helpful information from anyone that would like to share. I hope to figure out a SAFE and SIMPLE routine that I can stick with. Can't wait to get started so I can share my progress!!

**Healthy skin is Beautiful**

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Beautifully Golden, Welcome to the forum & thanks for your kind words. Actually, there are many people here with a wide range of knowledge & experiences. For what you want to do, mono is not the right choice. The HQ/RA combo would suffice. If you want evenness to go with your lighter skin, it'll take a little longer BUT be worth it & provide a more natural looking result. Lightening your darkest areas until they blend in then lightening all over would be the way to go. I always suggest beginning with something more gentle, seeing how it works, then moving up as needed. If this is what you decide to do, PM me & I'll give you more details on how to do this, what to watch for & what NOT to do. Need I say sunblock is a must? Please fish around the forum in other Depts as there is much wisdom out there & you'll learn a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Ondine. I did attempt to PM, but I can't send PM's until I've posted at least 15 times. I believe I'm still able to receive PM's, so if you want, you canâ€2122t PM me. I'd really like to know what all you've tried & what's worked for you. I'm trying to put together a routine complete with a soap/exfoliant, sunscreen, lightening agent, and anything else you think would be helpful. Also, you mentioned that for what I want Mono is probably not the best choice. Why is that? I'm just a little curious 'cause I still don't really understand how Mono works. Anywho, I'm rambling now

Get back to me when you can!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Ramble all you like! We are avid readers here. Mono is for radical lightening. For many people, the results of mono are irreversible. Some people go a light beige whereas others continue until they are completely white. Depending upon your facial features, this might be a great look for you OR it might look unnatural. As with very dark skin, you need to have the features for it (like Alec Wek or 90's model Roshumba: dark & gorgeous; or Nicole Kidman & Isabelle Adjani: fair & gorgeous). Like with any substance, everyone's body reacts differently to it. Many find mono to be very irritating. My skin experienced no irritation at all from it BUT I cannot use those Dove-type body washes!

REad around in the skin lightening threads & you'll find a variety of different routines that members are trying out. Most generously share their experiences & sources too.

Based on what you've describrd wanting to do, I'll pm you a few ideas to get you started. Of course, you'll have to tweak it as you go along, to suit yourself.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
It's in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts