Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

First of all, I am new to this site, so I would like to introduce myself.
I have been suffering from melasma for about 5 years now. I have tried every known treatment which is available, from IPL, to various laser treatments, to chemical peels (even tried Melanage three times!), and topical creams. Intitally, the melasma would become lighter, then come back darker. (I am olive skinned)
I was so feed up with all the money which I had spent on treatments that I started looking for alternative cures. I came across this site, and am so thankful to all of you who have posted your experience, and advice on this condition.
I have started using MSM ("pure") 1000mg, three times a day, along with Vitamin C, 1000 mg, three times a day. I also take GSE (grapefruit seed extract), 20 drops in water, five times a day. It has only been a week, and already there has been significant fading of my melasma!
In the daytime I use Nivea cream (which has some magnesium sulfate) along with sunscreen (SPF 30). At nightime I use Retin A (0.05% cream).
Along with this regimen, I also exercise 5 times a week, which helps with blood flow (in addition, it wards off other ailments, and makes you feel great!)
To those of you who have tried everything, please stop wasting your money, and try this combination. Your pocketbook, and face will thank you!
Also, once again to those who offered all of their valuable advice, many heart felt thanks! Your advice has truly changed my life!
Warmest Regards,
Gigi

·
Registered
330 Posts
Wow Gigi, it sounds as though you have found the answer! Keep us posted on your progress.

By the way, Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Galin, and Mony,
Thanks for the welcome...I will definitley keep you updated as to my results.

g

·
Registered
0 Posts
Wow! I also have melasma, and I already did peeling, IPL and CO2 Laser and triluma. Nothing helped me!! So you are using this MSM, I've never heard about it! How can I do the same as you are doing?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello Gigi and Vanesilva there is a thread that talks about melasma, I hope you find the help that you need and ask questions...and have fun too!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Vanesilva,

Here is a outline of my daily routine: In the morning, I drink 15 to 20 drops of GSE (liquid Grapefruit seed extract) in a large glass with water. The taste is bitter but you get used to it. I do this from 3 to 5 times a day. (Although, taking it about 3 times a day is enough, I was taking it 5 times to see what results would be like. On the website for GSE says taking it more times is not anymore effective than taking it less). Try not to eat anything from 30 to 60 minutes after taking the GSE to make sure there is full absorption of product. I then taken MSM capsules (make sure it says "pure" MSM, 1000mg) with vitamin C (1000mg), three times a day with meals. Make sure you take the MSM and the vitamin C together, as the effects on skin are better pronounced.
I also use NIVEA cream (the original, in the blue bottle), wait 5 to 10 minutes before applying sunscreen (SPF 30). At night I use Retin A (0.05%) cream.
Also, just wanted to let you know that some sites on the internet say to use grapseed extract, which is not the same as grapefruit seed extract. Make sure it is the grapefruit seed extract which you purchase. The brand which I use is Nutribiotic (says the original GSE). Also if you have an allergy to citrus, then don't use this product.
I am 41 years old, and have been researching this topic for many, many, many years, and have come to the conclusion that this problem is internally developed. It need to be addressed from the inside out.
About the La mer cream, I have found other products work much better, and are lighter on your pocketbook. My mother has been using NIVEA and Retin A for years, and always was singing the praises of these products, but I never listened until I was at the end of my rope. She is 60 now, and looks great!
I am not trying to fool anyone about my age, I just want to grow older gracefully, and look the best I can no matter how old I am.
The advice that Moms and grandmothers have given us about "natural" remedies which work from the inside out should be taken to heart. They really do work!
I wish you all the luck. I know how debilitating and frustrating this condition can be.
We all here to support you and offer the best advice we can on your journey to beautiful, clear skin!
Take Care,
G

·
Registered
452 Posts
Great Post(s) Gigi - I too believe skin care should be addressed internally and externally. I take MSM and Vit C 1000 as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the site Gigi

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Lasvegasdeb,

LOL! Ditto..if only we knew then what we know about life now!
Laughing, loving, and enjoying the time we have on this earth is what it is all about!

take care,
G

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also wanted to add that that some clinics / doctors offices which use lasers for hair removal are the wrong type being used (especially for darker skin tones) which may lead to PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmentation). Some people have developed pigmentation after having had laser hair removal. Please make sure that before undergoing any type of laser hair removal that the technician has worked with people of similiar skin tone as yourself. And do a lot of research! There are many different types of laser treatments for hair removal, some better than others.

TC
g

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry guys,
One more thing to add...for hyperpigmentation, new research has come out that laser treatment is not effective as effective as once thought. There was a conference about 3 to 4 months ago of derms and plastic surgeons here in Canada, and there was discussion as to this fact. The conclusion was that laser treatments for hyperpigmentation should be discouraged, but peels would be encouraged, as they were more superficial, and did not penetrate as deep as the laser which could worsen the hyperpigmentation in the long run. Just thought I would pass this along to you guys. (I have some inside information on these conferences, which I am able to pass on to you)
Hope this helps.

g

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gigi, What Laser is the best ? I've had laser hair removal and was told I should not worry.I don't want this melasma to get any worse,thanks for all your input I'm trying the GSE and The MSM at the moment only been on it for five days, nobody said I should stay close to the bathroom!!!! I'm really getting a good clean out....

·
Registered
12 Posts
By the way here in Australia Grapefruit Seed Extract is sold as Citrus seed Extract it's one and the same, may be that is why some people are having a hard time finding it, hope this is of some help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts