Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this site and am excited to be a part of a group that is interested in skin care. I am at the age where wrinkles and acne are concerns so am always on the lookout for products that work.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just found this site and am excited to be a part of a group that is interested in skin care. I am at the age where wrinkles and acne are concerns so am always on the lookout for products that work.
Welcome klawyer, I had to smile when I read 'I am at the age where wrinkles and acne are concerns'. In my experience that could mean anything from 9 to 90.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome Klawyer... The best advice I can give to you as an esthetician is to go get a facial at a reputable spa where an experienced esthetician can analyze your skin and recommend the best products for you based on your skin type. Going to a department store and having a sales clerk tell you she knows a product will work for you is not beneficial. They are out to sell the product and a good esthetician is going to care about your skin and want you to have good results. If you start a new skincare regimine, you should see beneficial results in 6 to 8 weeks. There is both internal and external things that will need to change such as diet and a proper skincare routine.

Good luck to you...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
"Wrinkles and Acne"...LOL isn't it sad???? Retin-A Micro is a God-send for me for both of these problems....you'd think we'd outgrow acne, but then.....WRINKLES too!!!!!! welcome!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not everyone can afford regular facials these days. I work in a retail environment in skin care but not in a department store. My goal is not to sell my clients anything but to choose the products that best fits their needs on what they have told me and from asking questions. I have multiple lines from naturals to doctor brands to choose from and it all depends on what works for your skin. Acne has many shapes and forms and everyones skin is different. So do your research and ask questions. If one does not work then try again. As for wrinkles....treat, hydrate and protect!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually you can get 30 min express facials for 1/2 the cost of a regular facial at most spas nationwide. Some even offer free consultations. When I give a consultation, I will take the client back to my room and view their skin under the magnification lamp. I will make an assessment and determine from questions and answers what products would best help their skin. In an express facial, they will cleanse, analyze, exfoliate and put on a mask appropriate for your skin type. This is a great service to let someone know what type of products would best suit and benefit their skin type.

I admire people in retail... I sell products at the spa I work at so I do understand, however, as an esthetician, I have extensive informal and educated comprehension of the skin and know what ingredients will benefit specific skin types. There are many estheticians who have chosen to work in retail as product reps and it's because they do have both ingredient and skincare knowledge. Kudos to anyone who educates themselves on skincare even if they are not estheticians. The average retail person is not licensed to do a skincare analysis, therefore they are making guesses on what skin care product would best suit the customer based on what the customer tells them or what their guidelines have taught them for the specific products they are retailing. I have wasted so much money on wrong products in the past because I, myself, didn't know exactly what type of skin I had. My advise in here is to help women make a wise decision and perhaps save them money in the long run. The wrong type of ingredients can actually irritate the skin if it's sensitive. Then you can get a full blown contact dermatitis. Paying for a facial and getting informative information actually can save you money in the long run. Then they can go to any retail establishment and you will know exactly what to get for your skin. Good luck to all with their skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts