Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a teenager but I've been wanting to have lighter skin for years. As the child of a very light (and I mean Mariah Carey light) mother and dark father, I've grown up with my mother and always wanted to be light. Always. I feel weird walking with her and my lighter cousin, and people think my cousin is her daughter and not me. Not only that, but I have hyperpigmentation (light/yellowy around the cheeks and eyes) on my face, along with dark elbows and knees. I wear a LOT of makeup on my face to even it out and I am just sick of it. I was born with very light skin that gradually changed to dark during my childhood and I just want that skin color back.

I've been reading up on the threads before I posted, and I am very familiar with HQ, since my mother uses Fair and White to maintain her lightness. (She has always been light, I think she's just paranoid of getting darker!) And I honestly don't want to be super light, just a tanned complexion, even a complexion where I can lay out on the beach with friends and not worry about getting BLACKER instead of TANNER! (If it helps to know my color, I use Tone 4 with ELF Cosmetics Pressed Powder)

A problem I have with lotions is that I have very dry skin. Lotions don't moisturize me at all, so I usually use Vaseline. If I have to use lotion, I mix it with Vaseline. Is that a bad idea to do with the HQ/Trentonin tactic? If so, what do you guys use to stay moisturized? I've even sunk as to putting Vaseline on my face, BAD IDEA I know, but my makeup gets so dry and my face feels so tight by the end of the day if I don't.

I'm really begging for help on this, since this is something I've wanted to be for a very long time. If people can tan, I should be able to lighten. Also, my mother has no complaints about me lightening my skin, I just have to know what to get. Help! I'll be able to post pictures for comparison soon. (Note: I might look lighter than I am in these pictures, the wonders of Photoshop!)

I'd really appreciate a step-by-step routine for lightening, then maintaining if needed. Also, some reputable places to get HQ/Trentonin, PM if needed! I'm new to all of this so hopefully I can get a walk through. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi Supermodella!

Welcome to the forum. This is a vibrant lively thread with many regulars who are knowledgable & sensitive. I understand how you feel as my mother & my brothers are fair but I came out with my mother's 'white' features BUT my dad's complexion. It used to bug me too when I was young. Before you begin using any lightening creams, wait until you are a young adult. A teenager's body has not finished developing & growing. These creams have not been tested for effectiveness or safety on teen skin. You might trigger an adverse reaction & get hyperpigmentation instead of lightening. Once you are about 20, you can begin lightening responsibly & safely. For now, use a good sunscreen whenever you go outside. REgarding your dryness, All vaseline will do is seal in what moisture that is there to prevent it from evaporating. Try using olive oil instead, just after a shower on humid skin. Then, if there are any dry spots, use Vaseline over the olive oil. Make sure you hydrate yourself from within & get the best nutrition possible & enough sleep. This will ensure that your skin, despite the colour you dislike, will be at its optimum level of strength & health when it is safe for you to lighten.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm 18 now, and I've honestly been holding out on this whole lightening thing for years, and I've been hoping to lighten up by the end of this year. Hopefully that clears a few things up. But thank you for replying, as I've been reading your story Ondine, and it's really inspiring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I used to use some of my mom's old Fair and White and it seemed to work a bit but then I stopped using it due to the dryness. And olive oil has a funny smell to it, would baby oil suffice or is there a better smelling olive oil out there? Haha.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Baby oil is mineral oil. Do not use it. The smell of olive oil dissipates almost immediately. If you really can't stand it, put a drop of lavender or rosewood pure essential oil in it. 18 is still young to be using bleach creams. Fair & White doesn't really 'whiten'. It might brighten an already fair complexion & blend some unevenness a little, but if you are looking to really change your colour or actually whiten (it CAN be done) none of those creams will help you.

Thanks for your kind words about my story. Everyone here is helping everyone else to achieve their lightening goals safely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts