Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have read a few posts about TCA peel and it looks like something I would like to try on my forehead wrinkles (just on my forehead) - I have 2 semi deep forehead in the upper part of my forehead which I'm currently hiding behind my fringe...thank god for hair !
Anyway..it's not something I have tried before...what strenght do you suggest I should start with - 12.5 % ? When I will start to peel and how long I will be feeling for ? I'm hoping I could hide the peeling skin behind my fringe but can this cause an infection, itching skin...etc ? Also I wouldn't like to use it on my whole forehead, just over my wrinkles in the upper part of my forehead....will this cause an eneven look/colouring once my skin is healed ?
Sim

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Everyone here who has tried 12.5% have pretty much felt it was too light a peel for them. I have done spot peels with 18% and got good results getting rid of brown spots and freckles, but some of the larger deeper spots need 2 layers about 3-4 times. So it all depends on your skin and what you need. I think Sandia did a 25% peel. On your forehead you may need to start with 18 at least. You can hold your hair back for the first 12-24 hours. I do mine at night and by morning my skin is crinkly but it doesn't hurt to have some antibiotic cream on hand just in case. You will probably itch some when you start to peel 4-5 days after. Keep in mind if you have deep wrinkles it may take more than 1 peel it could take several or more. Also many of us also use Retin A for wrinkles. You will have very pink skin once it peels but it will fade after some time.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I first did a 12.5% layered 4 times (actually 5 times on my forehead) and it just flaked... didn't even PEEL except for the rest of my face. I then did a 25% peel on my forehead and crow's feet and followed up a week later on the rest of my face. Forehead STILL only flaked. I'm going to do another forehead peel in a week or so and do 2-3 layers of 25% until it frosts REALLY well. I don't have deep lines on any of my face, and the 2 peels I've done haven't made a big impact on my lines so far. The 25% peel was more uncomfortable post-peel, but I healed nicely after about 2 weeks. I will NOT do even a below the forehead face peel again with the 25%. It was so uncomfortable. I will do *areas* of my face only until I get the nerve, or "forget" the discomfort of waiting to peel, cos the 25% was so much more "potent" and my face was much tighter and I itched during the pre-peel stage and a lot afterwards. But- it's worth it. My overall skin tone is better and I do see some degree of lessening of the depth of my fine lines this week. I only began using Retin A a few days ago, so I'm sure it's not a result of the RA. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello ladies....I'm so glad I have found this forum....what sweethearts you are...thank you so much for your advice ! Sandia if it's you on that picture you look beutiful...!
At the moment I'm using Retin A 0.05% every single evening with no nasty side effects at all - I didn't peel, flake ....to be honest I use Retin A as a moisturizer !!!! My skin looks nice and moist after using it ! I know...how strange ! I always though I have dry sensitive skin and I was really scared when I start using Retin A for the first time ...I was thinking I will look like a dry peeling mess after using it.....but no....therefore I think 0.25 % TCA peel should be be the right strenght to start with !
I will definetely order it and see how it goes ......god please somebody invent the time machine finally !............
Thanks again !!!
Sim

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can you do a 25% peel and still go to work, I do not have the time off for a long while and really want to try the 18% or 25%.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Can you do a 25% peel and still go to work, I do not have the time off for a long while and really want to try the 18% or 25%.
Well it depends on how much you care what your face looks like while you are working.
I definately wouldn't go to work if I did a 25% peel. I have done a few 18% and there is NO WAY I could go anywhere until I finished peeling. It is real important to stay out of ANY kind of sunlight while you are going through the peel process.

If you plan on doing a 25% peel, try and plan it around the weekend when you can take time off. You need at least 7-10 days to fully recoupe from the peel. The first 2 days aren't bad, it is once your skin turns brown and begins the peeling process when you really should stay indoors.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can also try an alternative in an Obagi Blue Peel which gets similar results and isn't quite as harsh as TCA peels. Obagi Blue Peel cream slows the activity of the TCA and also weakens it so pretreatment with alpha hydroxy solutions is necessary for best results. Pure TCA, on the other hand, is a very fast acting acid and requires no pretreatment other than removing excess oil with a good soap or cleanser. The Obagi Blue Peel is applied in layers, depending on the depth desired and skin problems being addressed. Pure TCA is applied in sections. The skin will turn red and/or whiten indicating it is done and needs to be neutralized. The pure TCA is then neutralized with a soothing mixture of water, ice and baking soda. The Obagi Blue Peel does not usually need to be neutralized as it is a much weaker solution and will self neutralize on the skin.

I'd check it out it wouldn't hurt

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
You can also try an alternative in an Obagi Blue Peel which gets similar results and isn't quite as harsh as TCA peels. Obagi Blue Peel cream slows the activity of the TCA and also weakens it so pretreatment with alpha hydroxy solutions is necessary for best results. Pure TCA, on the other hand, is a very fast acting acid and requires no pretreatment other than removing excess oil with a good soap or cleanser. The Obagi Blue Peel is applied in layers, depending on the depth desired and skin problems being addressed. Pure TCA is applied in sections. The skin will turn red and/or whiten indicating it is done and needs to be neutralized. The pure TCA is then neutralized with a soothing mixture of water, ice and baking soda. The Obagi Blue Peel does not usually need to be neutralized as it is a much weaker solution and will self neutralize on the skin.

I'd check it out it wouldn't hurt
I have done the Obagi Blue before, I prefer the TCA myself. For me I just get better results with the TCA. I actually apply my TCA in layers too.

Who doesn't like a good burn every now and again-

·
Registered
290 Posts
Is there a limit to how many peels? Let's say you don't go over the 25% and you wait 2 - 3 weeks, can you just keep doing them without damage?

Obagi, retin-A and TCA seem a bit "aggressive" and I know there is maintenance - but is there a downside to not following a maintenance?
Can you thin out your skin too much or something?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Is there a limit to how many peels? Let's say you don't go over the 25% and you wait 2 - 3 weeks, can you just keep doing them without damage?

Obagi, retin-A and TCA seem a bit "aggressive" and I know there is maintenance - but is there a downside to not following a maintenance?
Can you thin out your skin too much or something?
It may take you a couple to get the results you want. But you really should not do more than 3 deep peels per year. Less is best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have tried the 12.5% tca peel but I was not overwhelmed by its results. It stings a bit but wears off ok if you use moisterizer. I was told that to get 25% would just be a matter of doing two applications of the 12.5%, haven't tried it yet but I will and see how it measures up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK ... So now i KNOW i am a true member of this board, for i can't stop coming here, and reading more.

I placed this in another thread, and now see this one, so let me try here also to see if someone can help me also

I know NOTHING about peels other than they help bring your skin back to a youthful look.

Please help me understand about them, and if i need a precription for them.
How to get started.
At this time i have not tried anything to turn back time ( love Cher )

Thank you for the help
Chandy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Goatlady -- Wow! What a great site...now my question about "I wonder what TCA stands for" is answered...Quick question...when you use the peels how long do you leave them on for before you neutralize them...sounds very painful...is it?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Goatlady -- Wow! What a great site...now my question about "I wonder what TCA stands for" is answered...Quick question...when you use the peels how long do you leave them on for before you neutralize them...sounds very painful...is it?
Over the weekend I did a 18% TCA on my face and hands. Does it hurt..........can't say I am thrilled when they are applied. It burns like nothing I can explain. But it only lasts a short while, and the results are SO worth it.

I hope that answers your question-

18% is the highest level I will do at home. I have had 20% done before but in the office. And yes, this hurts even more-

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have done the Obagi Blue before, I prefer the TCA myself. For me I just get better results with the TCA. I actually apply my TCA in layers too.

Gymrat...yo is baaaad!!!!!!!!!
"Who doesn't like a good burn every now and again!"

·
Registered
713 Posts
Forever are you confused???? Gymrat gave me excellent advice when she said to me there are some TCA peels that are better than others, she guided me to MakeUpArtistChoice....they sell an quality peel that works well. I started with a 12.5%, I am very fair skinned and it was a good starter peel for me. Whenever you do it keep us posted and we can "walk" you through the process. Happy peeling!!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts

the blue peel, isnt that alot more expensive?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
the blue peel, isnt that alot more expensive?
Yes the blue peel is a lot more expensive. Why waste the money when you can get better results using TCA.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts