Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Happened to find this forum when I was looking for reviews of Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream. After a year of keeping my skin care very simple after a skin disaster last year(chemical burn from too aggressive of an AHA serum)I want to dip my little toe back into the world of anti-agers. I follow an extremely healthy, predominantly raw foods diet which has done me lots of good on several levels, and I do look a good bit younger than could be expected for my age. However, I would love to step my skincare up such that I could treat sunspots(I'm 62)without trashing my skin. Otherwise, my skin is actually pretty good - not too many wrinkles at all and fairly firm(OK a little sag but not THAT much!)I was almost going to go for a simplified Obagi routine(Blender plus .025 tretinoin at night)but got scared off by all the reports that people had about the use of Rx hydroquinone especially AFTER treatment. These same people often said that they had rebound pigmentation despite the religious use of sunblocks and sun avoidance too. Any suggestions that are reasonably priced for a 62-year-old with normal-slightly-oily(non-acneic)skin that is also somewhat sensitive? Over the past year, I have been looking sometimes for a decent facial sunblock to wear daily, but my skin got sensitized a whole lot from last year's disaster, and I haven't really found a good one yet. I don't want to go high-end either as my wallet will not permit that - has to be drugstore for me.
Here's my current very simple routine:
AM:
Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser(I need this bit of daily exfoliation, but cannot tolerate leave-on AHA cremes unless they are under 8% which means they are not that effective).
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream
Revitalift Eye Cream(L'Oreal)

PM:
Cetaphil Cleanser(use twice - once on dry face, tissue off makeup, rinse, and reapply to wet face to finish cleansing)
my own shea butter-extra virgin coconut oil cream which really helped me heal up after that chemical burn, along with a home-made mask that I was doing at the same time.

Anyhow, I was considering using the Neutrogena OTC product I mentioned as a step in the treatment direction - is this worth it, or should I go back to a med spa? Thanks for listening here!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi and welcome!
If you want to stick with Neutrogena, pick one of their SS with Helioplex. It's a lesser product than the European SS with Mexoryl or Tinosorb (stable screening agents) but better than the other garbage sold in the US. Lancome makes one with Mexoryl but it's only SPF20.

The coconut oil sounds like a good choice. You could add a retinol product or Retin-A and then a Vitamin C serum (we make our own here!) to boost clarity and smooth the lines.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hello, you have come to a great group for help and they are really nice too!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
welcome Cara4skin. glad to have you here. i will be 60 in december. i am afraid i look my age. still think young though. i am sure you will have many people to help you out with any skin problem you have. i have some sun skin damage but more horrible than that is i developed psoriasis over the past few years. stress. psoriasis is still showing up in new places so it keeps me busy dealing with it. i hope you enjoy our forum. it is like having family here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts