Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm a man in my early 40's who is now showing his age a bit too much for his liking. I had gotten away with looking a bit younger a some time but I'm afraid the years and my lifestyle (smoking) have caught up with me, and with a bit of a bang after taking too much sun this last summer.

Anyway, for the most part the skin my face is ok but I have noticed the area under my eyes has gotten increasingly wrinkly and a more than a little saggy (so much so I have had people comment on me 'looking leathery' at work) so I am seeking advice on what the best budget home treatment I can try might be. Now I have tried to read up things on the matter and the choices are so numerous and confusing I really don't know where to start (I know quitting the cigs and the sun would be a good start in preventing it getting too much worse but I'm looking for something to help with the condition as it is now) so I would greatly appreciate any advice on what I can try.

Another thing I would add is that I seem unable to lose the puffiness in my cheeks that I gained after putting on way too weight a couple of years ago: Though I'm back to my ideal weight now (lost that 2 stone gain) the puffiness has stubbornly refused to yield, so any advice on what I can try to deal with that too would also be appreciated.

Please bear in mind I do not have a lot of money so expensive lotions/creams etc are not really within my grasp, so anything that is known to get good results at a low cost would be really helpful.

My thanks in advance for any help and advice anyone can give.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Nickywolf,

Welcome! Yes, giving up the cigs, and the sun would definitely improve your appearance. However, for the leather look, and the crinklingling under your eyes try cuccumber slices, it works! Place the cool slices on your eyelids for about 20 minutes a day, and the wrinkling will eventually lessen.
As for your face, are you taking in a lot of salty foods? Salt makes the body retain water which makes the body look "puffy".
Try reducing your salt intake. See if this helps.

TC,
Gigi

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
A lot of folks here use Retin A to smooth out the skin. It's not very expensive from ADC just do a quick search for it. Also do it yourself Vit C serum is well loved and don't forget to exfoliate your skin. That is also very important and never leave home without your sunscreen. Welcome and just check out that anti-aging forum. Lots of info there

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the fast replies.

I have recently cut down my salt intake (use a lo-salt now as a condiment) but figure a lot of the stuff I eat is likely to contain a lot of salt regardless. Will have to take a closer look at the ingredients.

Regarding Retin A and Vitamin C cream...Can anyone recommend a UK based supplier to obtain these?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site Nickywolf, heed Goatlady's words of wisdom...... that would be a excellent start. The cucumber slices do work temporarely and you'll just have to do it again, and again without any real changes. The retin- A as well as Vitamine C will make noticeable changes that you will see monthly and . You also need to wear a good SPF higher than 15 I myself wear an spf 60. As for the puffy read the stevia thread in anti-aging.... you may want to try that. Good Luck

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi there Nickywolf,

You can't get Retin A in the UK without a prescription. I get mine from inhousepharmacy.com. It is quite expensive, but you don't have to provide a prescription and the postage is free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there Nickywolf,

You can't get Retin A in the UK without a prescription. I get mine from inhousepharmacy.com. It is quite expensive, but you don't have to provide a prescription and the postage is free.
Which of the ones they offer would you recommend? I'm looking at the budget offering (retino-A) that wouldn't cause an issue with customs atm.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi Nicky,

I know what you mean about the customs charges - I have been stung on more than one occasion. If you do have to pay for extra tax charges, the post office also put on an £8 handling charge as well.

I would tend to just go for the cheapest brand and you certainly need to start off with the lowest percentage. I have just ordered some .25% (I think it was $35), so am hoping that will pass through customs.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts