Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a newbie here.

I need some help. I am a carpenter, and I travel all over the country for work. Working with dry lumbar and sawdust all the time really dries my skin out something fierce!
and I have tried alot of lotions and oils on my skin. and I just cant find anything thats really effective for dry skin relief. my hands are the worst from handling the lumber all day. my face, gets dry too, well, all over gets dry, but my hands are worst.

any ideas what I can do?

I realize this must seem odd having a man thats a carpenter ask for advice on this type of thing. its probably more of a women's forum. but I need help!!!!

I would appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Johnnie Red,

I am new on here too. My cousin is a salewoman for Sears in the cosmetics department and she told me about this forum the other night. So I thought I would check it out.

Although I don't work with wood like you, I am always fighting with dry rough hands from being a professional gardener.

I am sure that the situation is similar seeings how we are both pulling wood to a lesser extent.

I just recently switched to using VR1 on my hands with that fantastic ZDDP in it. So only time will tell how that works

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Johnnie Red,

This may sound a little strange, but I have found that this really does work quite well, and nourishes your skin if it has been very very dry.
You take a squeezed lemon, (maybe use the juice in your tea, or to make lemonade if it is hot), turn the peel inside out, dip the remaining lemon pulp in extra virgin olive oil so that it is just a little bit of olive oil on the pulp, not soaked. Rub that all over on your face and your hands, (using different parts of the inside peel as it is used) before you go to bed. You let it dry on your skin, and leave it on over night, washing it off in the morning. (Sometimes you might look a little odd with pieces of pulp on your face, but trust me, it is worth it in the long run!) Do this 2-3 times a week at first, then as required to soften your skin. In the morning of the first day, you should notice a marked difference in the texture of your skin. (I have only used it effectively on my face and hands, I have not tried my whole body....maybe you could give me feedback in that area?)

For very, very rough and dry skin, I have found that after preparing for bed, I slather my hands in regular vaseline, and then put on cotton gloves overnight. In the morning your hands should be softened and the skin moisturized. This is more effective after showering or bathing just before retiring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello! I'm new here too!
I'm sooooo glad I found this forum!
Johnnyred, Have I got the best news for you.............. I too am a carpenter of sorts, I build furniture for Gulfstream jets. My hands get really dried out from all the fine sawdust and chemicals that we use, to the point of cracking & splitting. VERY painful. I have found a new lotion thats manufactured locally here in the southeast. It's called ' Dr. Eddie's White Root Oil'. This stuff is dreamy! Nice and creamie, very soothing, and has a very pleasant odor. It is rather expensive though. This is a local company, and this product is hard to find in stores, but my GOD does it work! Comes in a squirt tube about 6 oz. The first time I tried it, I knew it was the stuff for me and my dry face & hands! Hope you can find it in your town.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi there again. Boy o Boy, look what I started! First things first girlies and guys, Dr. Eddie's White Root Oil only comes in a Squeeze tube. The tube is about 8 inches long and comes in what looks like a blue metalflake looking package. Very 'eye catching', and easy to spot on the shelf.
its a great smelling product, however has a realitive short lifespan after its opened up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. well, if it dont stink then I guess you can apply it on your face too.

Sometimes my face gets dry from the sawdust and the respirator on my face. so I am going to find some and try it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Holy you must have gotten that one from Costco. The only thing that I can find on it comes in a small purse size applicator (the size of a hotel shampoo bottle). I have heard that anything bigger than that is a chinese knockoff.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is that Dr. Eddies available nationally? or is it just a small operation?
I think it is available all over the country. One word of caution I need to mention, This product does has been know to cause a rash on African Americans, as well as people with olive complexions. Not too sure why that is, but I'd be careful if you are either.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Come on now Freddy, do you gals up in Canada not have Dr. Eddies White Root Oil on the shelves?

I know our laws down here are alot more lax with products, but this has been around for years down here

·
Registered
57 Posts
that might be, I have heard that you are able to get more things at the natural stores (my cousin told me this)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for stepping up here, Johnny. I too have been lurking around looking for a solution.

Is there an online distributor for the Eddie's product?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for stepping up here, Johnny. I too have been lurking around looking for a solution.

Is there an online distributor for the Eddie's product?
there seems to be much controversy about this. as far as I know, to obtain Eddies products, you need to know someone, who knows someone, who know's Eddie. You can get it directly from him if you know how to. But I prefer to have someone get it for me. its much easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts