Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone..i stumbled onto this forum in my quest to find some good skin lightening products and am so glad i did..this place is a wealth of information and much more addicting than facebook lol

So..about my skin..i currently have a medium tan skin tone. I was originally a medium tone but have been getting progressively darker throughout the years, which im thinkn is because of the blazn sun in SoCal and no sunscreen.

Before i found this site i was about to purchase some diana stalder products (contains no HQ) and some glutathione. i havent really found any threads about the effectiveness of diana stalder but read glutathione doesnt lighten skin. Everyone seems to be raving about HQ and RA. I should mention that i had been using Meladerm (my bottle ran out this morning) for about 11 weeks and did see some results, which im estatic about, but still minimal (1-2 shades).

My concern is regarding the fact that im currently taking minocycline and tazorac (topical and used at nights) to keep my acne under control. Can i still use HQ/RA with this regimen? I also have sensitive skin and would like to keep peeling/redness to a minimal if possible since i work with the public and go to school, so would u guys recommend .1% RA or something less? I saw Skinbrite on ADC, would that work for me? Also, can i ask my derm to just write me a prescription for HQ/RA (do they not like doing that for ppl trying to lighten their skin?) or just buy it online. and how long does shipping take from ADC and SSS?

I look forward to hearing from your guys and welcome all ur sugesstions/feedback. Sorry this turned into a novel..thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been reading this forum for a month now and am planning to follow this regiment.

Special thanks to ondine, LightenNLift, and LaDonna

I am trying to be specific to face:

Cleaning:

Likas Papaya Soap
Sources:\teBay, Amazon

Treatment

Hydroquinone 4%
Sources:\tAlldaychemist, Superskinstore

Retin-A 0.1%,
Sources:\tSuperskinstore at gmail,
** Apply on Clean and DRY face. After cleaning, let face dry for 20 mins, then apply.

Sunscreen:
\t\tNeutrogena spf 80+ Cream Only
** Apply 20-30 minutes after applying all the chemicals.

I am also planning to order:
Differin Gel 0.1%
Kojic Cream

but i don't know how and when to use them.

This is my planned regiment:

Morning: Wash with Papaya soap & pat dry. Wait 10 minutes to dry. Then, apply HQ4% thinly & rub in. Wait another 10 mins & apply Neutrogena sunblock.

Evening: Wash with Papaya soap & pat dry. Wait 20 minutes to dry. Apply thin amount of RA to very dry skin. Wait 1 hour. Then, apply HQ4% + Glycerin mix thinly & rub in and go to sleep.

I continue to do this for a month straight up. Then I want to go little more advance - using things like:

Vitamin C, E
Arbutin
Glycolic Acid Lotion 10%
Differin
Liquorice Soap
Bearberry
Collagen Serum

My goal is to loose all tan and get only 2-3 shades better. I am ok with my body skin color which is more like beige. But i want my tanned face, hands, legs (exposed to sun) to be same color as my untanned body area.

I would also like inputs from experts on how to make my regiment better and more productive.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Mooyoo and Leahp, and welcome to the forum. Yes, it is addicitive, isn't it
, but very informative. We have a wealth of knowledge on here. I'm really not much more than a newbie myself but I will try to help

Mooyou, I'm sure you could use this regime with your acne prone face. I break out with certain products but my skin has been very clear since using HQ/RA. RA on its own is often prescribed for acne. I have no experience with Tazorac, so I'm not sure whether you could use it instead of RA or whether you could use it as well. Can someone else on here help, please?

I used Meladerm too with about the same experience as you. It just seemed to stop working though, and I still have a lot of marks so I decided to try the HQ/RA. I've only been using it for three weeks so nothing much to report yet, but I know I have to be patient. I have years of sun damage which won't go away overnight.

Have a read of the thread 'From Lauren to Mariah', for more information on this regime. You will experience redness and peeling but there is lots of advice on how to keep it to a minimum. I only have the odd flake now and managed to tone down most of the redness.

As for where to get the creams, most of us order from alldaychemist.com which is unbelievably cheap, and you don't need a prescription. It can take up to a month to receive your order (mine took about two weeks from memory). They post to all over the world for $24 so the trick is to order in bulk, and their products are very good.

Leahp: You sound like you are on a good thing. I wouldn't change anything, although I mix my creams together at night which is supposed to be even more effective, if your skin can tolerate it. Mine does without a problem, but maybe best to start out doing as you plan and progress from there. As for the additional products, I don't use any of those things at the moment, but the experts on here could probably give you advice on that.

Happy lightening

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HI Ladies,

Thanks for ur advice! I'm gonna go ahead and order the products and start using the likas soap as well. Although i think the RA .1% might be a lil strong, so im gonna start with something a lil less and look at other methods for fixing the redness...I hope this all works =)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
HI Ladies,

Thanks for ur advice! I'm gonna go ahead and order the products and start using the likas soap as well. Although i think the RA .1% might be a lil strong, so im gonna start with something a lil less and look at other methods for fixing the redness...I hope this all works =)
No problem! Yes, that's a good idea to start out with a little less. I'm using RA 0.05% cream. That's more than enough for me at the moment
. I may go up to the 0.1% in the future but I've still got five tubes of 0.05% to use up first. This really is a tried/tested/proven method, so it will work but may take time, depending on how bad your discolouration is. Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
hey kare, hows are you progressing?
Hi LNL, thanks for asking. Nothing major to report yet. But I'm really happy that I've got a routine now. And that I don't have to go to work with flakes on my face. The daily rolling them off in the shower plus the Likas soap enables me to have a fairly normal looking face, albeit a little pinkness, so I really happy about that. Sometimes I think I see lightening and I get really excited, then it seems to go away, but I am thinking I have so many years and layers of damage that they are going to keep coming to the surface for a while, and hopefully eventually stop. I've accepted the fact that this could take months for me or even more. I really LOVE the fact that because of the RA my smile lines are going and my face generally looks tighter

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
@ MOOYOO: you may not know this and dermatologists certainly dont tell you this when they prescribe it but MINOCYCLE, although affective, is hte worst antibiotic you can take because it causes hyperpigmentation and darkening of the skin, look up minocycline induced skin damage and you'll see, also, it stains your teeth light YELLOW. I remember taking it in my teens, and I went off it because of these problems, luckily they werent permanent because I ended my course short.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
keep it up karenannev, that is absolutely true, RA has so many benefit that it should be called the MIRACLE CREAM, from wrinkles, to discoloration, to skin restoration, etc. Its amazing just look at ondine's avatar, she is 45 and not a SINGLE imperfection in her face, no wrinkles, no age spots, no uneveness/discoloration, nothing. She looks like shes in her mid twenties. The women I know past 35 have at least one of those but the ones who used Retin-A throughout that I see at the dermatologist office they dont look a day over 25.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
keep it up karenannev, that is absolutely true, RA has so many benefit that it should be called the MIRACLE CREAM, from wrinkles, to discoloration, to skin restoration, etc. Its amazing just look at ondine's avatar, she is 45 and not a SINGLE imperfection in her face, no wrinkles, no age spots, no uneveness/discoloration, nothing. She looks like shes in her mid twenties. The women I know past 35 have at least one of those but the ones who used Retin-A throughout that I see at the dermatologist office they dont look a day over 25.
Oh I will. I think I'll use it for life, now. Ondine does look incredible, doesn't she! I keep forgetting how old she is. You know I did use Retin-A about 15 years ago for a little while but didn't realise there was a way around the flakies, so eventually just used it under my eyes, then stopped using it altogether. If only this forum was around back then. It's a real revelation for me that I don't have to live with the flakes. Retin-A and this forum are both FANTASTIC

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LNL- Thanks for the info on the anti-biotics. Ive been on different forms of anti-biotics for the past two years and my skin has been darkening gradually, ive even noticed my lips getting darker with brown spots. People who havent seen me in a while always ask if im tanning! I've decided to stop taking the Minocycline and stick to the HQ/RA since RA is used for acne as well!

I recieved my hq/ra from adc (only took 10 days for delivery to the west coast!) and my likas papaya soap. From the countless hours of reading on this forum, im gonna start doing this:

Morning

Wash with Likas Papaya soap
let skin dry for 10 mins
apply hq 4%
wait ten mins
apply sunscreen

Evening

wash with likas papaya soap
let skin dry for 20 mins
apply even mixture amount of RA/HQ together

I wanted to ask if you guys use the the papaya soap to remove ur make-up? I currently use a cleanser from oil of olay that has salicylic acid in it. the instructions on the RA said salicylic acid could irritate the skin if used with ra. what are ur guys' experiences? Also are you guys using a mosturizer and if so how long are u letting the products set in before applying it?

Cant wait to officially start my routine..im so excited!! =)

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
The Ra 0.1% shoudl take care of your acne too, about the differin, dont use it if you are going to be using the retin-A b/c retin-A and differin are in the same family and retin-a works better with skin lighteners. AS for all these things you are going to try using:
1. Vitamin C, E - you would definitely benefit from a Vitamin C E and Ferulic serum used with HQ 4 and sunblock during the day, the best out there is Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, but u can always make ur own C serum
2. Arbutin - this is absoutely unnecessary for ur regimen and for u to try out b/c you already got HQ 4% which is 50 times stronger than any type of arbutin.
3. Glycolic Acid Lotion 10% - this is unnecessary too since you are using the high percentage of Retin-A, you are already exofliating ur skin with that and it works 100 times better than such a low concentration of glycolic acid, even if it was a high concentration it would only work at the surface, the Retin-A goes deeper than that. You dont wanna overly dry out ur skin, dry skin doesnt give u even toned better lightening, it gives u hyperpigmnetation.
4. Differin - you dont need it, u got RA, which is better and works well with ligtheners
5. Liquorice Soap - soap doesnt stay on ur skin long enough to lighten it,
6. Bearberry - another form of arbutin which is useless if you are using HQ 4% b/c HQ is ten fold stronger and has more lightening effect.
7. Collagen Serum - collagen serums sit on top of your skin, it is a marketing scam to make an easy profit, topical collagens are not small enough to penetrate ur skin and most contain silicones which also doesnt do anything for ur skin.

Lastly, I dont know anything about makeup but I do know that makeup and sunscreens are OIL BASED so to remove it effective you need a cleansing oil, the cleansing oil will dissolve and break down sunscreens and makeup effective b/c the principal rule of chemistry is like dissolves like so oil dissolves oil. I suggest u get Lumene Cleansing Oil at the drugstore or DHC cleansing oil, high class online.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Way to, LNL! You've just saved mooyoo a bundle of $$$ & possible skin damage from overexfoliation.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HI Everyone!!

So i had a couple questions..would a cleansing oil like LNL suggested be okay for me since i already have oily skin?

My hands and feet have gotten a lot of sun damage and are much darker...can i apply the HQ/RA to these parts as well or would i be better off doing some kind of peel?

Can HQ/RA be applied to underarms that have gotten darker bc of shaving?

And lastly, i have been applying HQ and sunblock in the morning...should i be applying RA as well in the mornings? I am using RA. .05% in the evening. So far I have not seen any peeling, but granted it is only my second day using it. I was using Tazarac before, which is pretty strong and caused my skin to peel for a while as well..so im thinkn maybe my skin would respond better to the .1% RA instead..what do you guys think?

Thank you!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts