Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing OCM (been purging for a few weeks!), french green mask, and now have incorporated the aspirin mask as of last night.....good success with that mask! I hope to find the right recipe for OCM since I'm so tired of having cysts on the sides of my chin! Anyway.........I'm wondering what oil mixture might I use at night for a moisturizer? I would like something effective to combat oily skin, some acne, and anything anti-aging....yes I want it all! I'm going to try hemp seed oil and was wondering if there might be other suggestions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since you're doing hemp, have you thought of adding flax oil? It needs to be stabilized, but is good in treating eczema, inflammation, etc. It's also high in omegas, and seems like a natural pair.

I have ethical issues with emu oil, but I like marula oil for a carrier, which is also good for oily, acne prone skin.

Skintimate

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
When my skin is on the oilier side of things - I use a few drops of watermelon seed oil and kukui oil - applied to my face, after spritzing with a hydrosol.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I am currently doing OCM (been purging for a few weeks!), french green mask, and now have incorporated the aspirin mask as of last night.....good success with that mask! I hope to find the right recipe for OCM since I'm so tired of having cysts on the sides of my chin! Anyway.........I'm wondering what oil mixture might I use at night for a moisturizer? I would like something effective to combat oily skin, some acne, and anything anti-aging....yes I want it all! I'm going to try hemp seed oil and was wondering if there might be other suggestions?
I'm not sure if purging for weeks is normal, are you removing all the oil? ...Like with a microfiber cloth?.... You might not need an oil moisturizer if you're doing the OCM and have oily skin IMHO.

I would change to an oil cleanser that has an emulsifier, like this Purified Skincare - High Performance Sensitive Skin Care Treatments - OCM - Oil Cleansing Method - Cleansing Oils w/ emulsifiers. Remove the excess oil with a microfiber cloth, spritz my face with hydrosol or thermal water, like Tmeyer suggested, then add a drop or two of a light oil.

If you are really oily you might not even need a moisturizer at all, just find yourself a well formulated toner. Or a spray like this MD Formulations Moisture Defense Antioxidant Spray | DERMAdoctor

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I have ethical issues with emu oil, but I like marula oil for a carrier, which is also good for oily, acne prone skin.

Skintimate
Just curious here . . . why do you have ethical issues with emu oil? The whole bird is used -- meat, fat, feathers, bones . . . or are you a vegan? I can understand issues if you're a vegan.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am giving this OCM a few more days to see if the purging continues....I started the aspirin mask a few nights ago and is helping. I hope to see continued improvements! I've been using the microfiber cloths and believe I'm getting all the oil off, I've been very vigilant about this the last few days. Also using apple cider toner to help with any excess as well. I'm trying to not get discouraged but will try this a few more days to see. I like the looks of Purified Skincare but using an emulsifier.....but I would like to stay away from this for now. I'm still learning all about this natural skincare! Also, wouldn't I want to use some sort of night-time oils on my skin for the anti-aging benefits (or would using OCM be enough since it's "pushing the oils into our skin?)or would using RA and Vit C (not using that at this time due to skin break outs) be enough? Yes, lots of questions........

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Edensong,

I'm near vegan, `though I still eat things with dairy. I didn't know whether the whole bird was used or not, but it's nice to know it's not 'harvested' just for the oil! And on a 'yuck' note, the thought of smearing that stuff on my face!

There are so many other nice things in nature!

It's hard to know, but even if I wasn't vegetarian, I don't think I could use something to make me 'prettier' if I knew doing so was the cause of harm. Kind of a cost/payoff thing here. It's why I won't use Botox.

Warmest,

Skintimate

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
That's understandable, skintimate, but it doesn't bother me, knowing and experiencing how effective it is, especially when I think about my ancestors (Native Americans), who used to rub chicken fat on their bodies.
Now, that's a "yuck" factor!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now, I could certainly ALLOW something to make me prettier if it HAPPENED to come from an animal killed for food, and I was not vegetarian. The "yuck" factor alone, I could certainly get over, it's a lot of the other things that go on (like with Botox) I could never support!
"Effectiveness" could never be the reason for that!

"Chicken Fat"? Was it used for some ceremony, or for the odor? I'm a teeny-bit Indian myself, so am curious.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
What goes on with Botox?!! ...are animals harmed?

·
Registered
556 Posts
What goes on with Botox?!! ...are animals harmed?
My understanding is that the manufacture of Botox uses the toxicity test LD50 (LD = lethal dose) which is performed on mice. It is a test strictly banned on cosmetic preparations but as Botox was originally created as a medical product there is a legal loophole which allows this to continue.

If you would like to learn more, then here are a number of links from different sources.

Cosmetic botox booms at expense of mice. - swissinfo

Animal Aid UK: BOTOX AND ANIMAL EXPERIMENTS - Testing 'anti-wrinkle' injections

Botox in Germany - Animal cruelty for a questionable beauty

Federal Agency Takes on Animal Testing of BotoxÂae Cosmetic | The Humane Society of the United States

The PETA Files | Death by Botox

Just to be clear: I am not posting this to make any judgment about the use of Botox in any way, even though I don't personally use it myself.

My choices are my business and I give that same respect to everyone else.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes, I'm sorry.

Every SINGLE batch of Botox is tested using the 50/50 test method, causing over 600,000 mice to slowly die for almost a week, with the rest finally killed after. It's to make sure it's safe for us, you see!

Personally, I can't even support animal research for our medical knowlege. The ends can never justify the means. -But ongoing LD/50 tests to ensure our beauty, or youth is just indefensible. Surely there are other ways.

______
______
______
______
______

I've never thought for a moment that an animal's presumed intelligence had anything to do with it's ability to suffer.

Botox causes suffering.

Aren't loopholes wonderful?

And while this isn't a judgement either, on those of us who would use Botox, it does make our priorities clear. Whatever our decision, we are responsible for the weight of that decision. Basing that choice on real information is a right every consumer should have, but most of us have been kept in the dark.

Beauty is only skin deep.

SKINTIMATE

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by

I'm wondering what oil mixture might I use at night for a moisturizer? I would like something effective to combat oily skin, some acne, and anything anti-aging....yes I want it all! I'm going to try hemp seed oil and was wondering if there might be other suggestions?

Being an oily girl myself....I like the recent 50/50 seakelp ferment and oils of choice[ hemp or hazelnut, right now Borage oil ], Vit E and Vit A mix that goes on after OCM. Sinks right in. No oily feeling a few minutes later...and facial skin is very happy with me. Also...no break outs.

The addition of SKB as a hair product over the previous store bought mousse and other crap has also made a huge difference...none of that crap on my skin = less chance for breaking out as well.

I think you might really like it Dancar. It's wonderful stuff. A little can go a very long way if you dilute it with distilled water. Depends on your needs.

Question: What are you paying for the microfiber cloths over there? I can get them here for under a buck US...so I am curious...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oh, I see about the chicken fat! Somehow, even in this forum, I was thinking it was used for ritual/smell, rather than beauty! I really don't know, I just might not be able to rub a chicken's fat into my skin though! :p

Edensong, what do you mean when you say it was "used to felt with dryness"? Was that a method of application?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts