Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glutathione

Aside from being considered as the master antioxidant, glutathione is also said to possess skin lightening properties thus making it popular in Asian countries particularly the Philippines where glutathione preparations in tablets, capsules, soaps, lotions and intravenous / intramuscular injections are common. Despite the skin whitening claims, there has been no conclusive scientific study to back up these claims.

THe next time someone comes here singing the praises of these pills, sprays, injections or whatever...remember this post & save yr money!

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Also, another point to be noted: DO NOT take glutathione supplements for the benefit of your health either, glutathione isnt absorbed by the body in pill form but take NAC or L-cysteine pills so that they can make the glutathione in your body naturally.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good point too because many people are doing that as well. Big waste of money. I even came across research showing that Glutathione can play a role in encouraging melanin synthesis & that it can counter the effects of some topical lightening agents!

·
Registered
110 Posts
well glutathione may not work but I've been taking acetyl l-cartnitine & alpha lipoic acid supplements and i do think it has some kind of lightening effect on the skin. It may not be drastic but I am noticing some brighting effects on darker areas of my body (lower back, arms). I don't apply any special soaps or creams to those areas and its getting lighter. Just because there no research out there doesn't mean it doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Also, another point to be noted: DO NOT take glutathione supplements for the benefit of your health either, glutathione isnt absorbed by the body in pill form but take NAC or L-cysteine pills so that they can make the glutathione in your body naturally.
Can L-cysteine pills help to lighten the skin, if so at what dose and how long does it take to see results?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is true, Moni that sometimes it takes time for the research to catch up to observations made by sonsumers. Lumigan & Botox are examples of this. Allergan was in the dark until patients using Lumigan for glaucoma drew the lash growth 'side-effect' to their attention & people were using off-label for lash enhancement for years B4 they woke up & produced Latisse. The anti wrinkling effect of Botox was discovered accidentally by patients with Neuralgia, Parkinsons & other issues who got injections to ease facial muscle spasms! I am not closed-minded to the possibilities. It is just that, aside from a very few less than spectacular personal anecdotes, there isn't a shred of proof anywhere & in this case, testing HAS been conducted.

If it is working for you & you feel at ease taking this internally & you're not getting any adverse results, then more power to you! My problem is with companies peddling these pills, creams & injections making effusive claims that they cannot substantiate. there is also a blatant lack of safety data to guide consumers.

Reactions: Summer123

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hello @ondine I have been taking glutathione in pill form for 3 years now. I took jarrows reduced glutathione and it did lighten areas however its very slow and nothing drastic.
I then switched to s-acetyl glutathione and the results are way better than plain jarrows glutathione. I saw results within a matter of weeks.

When people claim to of lightened 3-4 shades with glutathione its really the injections they;re talking about. Glutathione taken orally will lighten you max 1-1.5 shades and will
give you brighter and a more uniform complexion. It takes a very long time, its taken me 3 years of consistent use to get to this shade and ive only lightened max 1 shade but the results
are very natural loooking and my skin overall is more even.

·
Registered
192 Posts
When people claim to of lightened 3-4 shades with glutathione its really the injections they;re talking about.
That’s interesting because there’s this youtuber who claims that she lightened her skin only with the pill form; Jarrows brand. She said she was on it for six years and it lightened her drastically. She said she’s never done IVs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
@the Skinlmin

hey hun!
that may be true. Ive only been taking it for about 3 years now. however, I do believe that with consistent use you can lighten more.
I did mention that you lighten up 1.5 shades max but I believe you can get lighter than that... but it takes a looooooong time. as in many many years. Sorry Im really bad with shades.

When I started gluta, I was actually darker than my original skin tone because I burnt myself with kojic acid and it left hyperpigmentation everywhere on my
body and when I stopped using It I went significantly darker than what I was at first. I never really saw lightening results with the j-arrows reduced glutathione, therewas
only brightening and evening of skin tone. I only saw lightening when I took s-acetyl glutathione.

Everyone was raving about it on youtube and even in the phillipines thats the brand people take in pill form and they swear by it.
Ive only been on s-acetyl fora couple of months and its working so well, continuous use will have me lighten more. Just waiting for this goats milk and tamarind soap
to arrive to boost these results.

·
Registered
192 Posts
@Summer123 Thank you for replying! I don’t know if I have the patience to dedicate myself to take pills for like 10+years to see results. Idk maybe I’m traditional in a sense; I like getting my results from creams and lotions.... but on the other hand this may be easier to do for a more “permanent” result. Maintenance is a bit easier with it. This is the YouTuber who claimed she just used Jarrows. I may try the s-acetyl pills you mentioned.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hello @ondine I have been taking glutathione in pill form for 3 years now. I took jarrows reduced glutathione and it did lighten areas however its very slow and nothing drastic.
I then switched to s-acetyl glutathione and the results are way better than plain jarrows glutathione. I saw results within a matter of weeks.

When people claim to of lightened 3-4 shades with glutathione its really the injections they;re talking about. Glutathione taken orally will lighten you max 1-1.5 shades and will
give you brighter and a more uniform complexion. It takes a very long time, its taken me 3 years of consistent use to get to this shade and ive only lightened max 1 shade but the results
are very natural loooking and my skin overall is more even.
Thank you for the review . How much glutathione do you take and do you take vitamin c ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
@TheSkinImin Hello!! sorry for the delay in response.
the one thing you will love about the pills is that even when you slowly wean off creams, lotions, soaps (as long as they dont have HQ), you will be able to maintain
the light shade you are with the pills only. If you are using glut, just use s-acetyl glut with 2x the dose of vitamin C.
It takes about 6-7 months to just begin to see results after daily use, so PLEASE be patient.
The other benefits of oral glut is that you barely tan & even when you do, it fades very quickily. It basically acts as an internal sunscreen.
However, like all skin lightening methods (whether is oral, injectables, etc) the lighter areas of the body lighten up first... so its important if you want faster
and more even lightening to use a lotion or kojie soap on the darker areas only to get them to match

@Donaey Hey =) I take 800mg sometimes 1g and I double the intake of vitamin C. Its always gotta be 2x more vitamin c than your gluta intake.
only take s-acetyl glut. Its really the only one that'll cause lightening, jarrows plain glutathione is not strong enough.
you must take them on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes to an hour before breakfast. Its the first thing I have in the morning.

·
Registered
192 Posts
@TheSkinImin Hello!! sorry for the delay in response.
the one thing you will love about the pills is that even when you slowly wean off creams, lotions, soaps (as long as they dont have HQ), you will be able to maintain
the light shade you are with the pills only. If you are using glut, just use s-acetyl glut with 2x the dose of vitamin C.
It takes about 6-7 months to just begin to see results after daily use, so PLEASE be patient.
The other benefits of oral glut is that you barely tan & even when you do, it fades very quickily. It basically acts as an internal sunscreen.
However, like all skin lightening methods (whether is oral, injectables, etc) the lighter areas of the body lighten up first... so its important if you want faster
and more even lightening to use a lotion or kojie soap on the darker areas only to get them to match
Thank you so much for your input! I was skeptical about using glutathione but it seems to have a lot of benefits! It just seems like a long time but I like the fact that I won’t tan as easily. I’m going to try your recommendation because I think I’ll prefer glutathione in pill form rather any other route.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you so much for your input! I was skeptical about using glutathione but it seems to have a lot of benefits! It just seems like a long time but I like the fact that I won’t tan as easily. I’m going to try your recommendation because I think I’ll prefer glutathione in pill form rather any other route.

No worries. When you wean off creams, soaps & lotions, make sure you take glutathione consistently for a year before you do it.
Remember, it takes time to build up in the body. If you have any Qs, feel free to ask here so that others may also benefit =)

·
Registered
30 Posts
No worries. When you wean off creams, soaps & lotions, make sure you take glutathione consistently for a year before you do it.
Remember, it takes time to build up in the body. If you have any Qs, feel free to ask here so that others may also benefit =)
Which pills are we talking about? Liposomal Gluta or S-Acetyl? Because I was taking liposomal pills but its just really expensive

1 - 18 of 18 Posts