Skin Care Talk banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

Registered
Have you seen any of the AA soaps around? I was reading reviews and the AA soaps on the market really seem to work very well. The thing is how?
isnt AA supposed to sit on the skin? How does applying it for a minute then washing it off give you those affects? Interesting..

I was thinking of using it as a soap, its just much easier and convenient for me.

There is this AA lotion I found some African women using it, she said it didnt make her skin much lighter (but shes quite dark to begin with, probalby hasnt given it enough time) but
it gave her beautiful even skin tone and made her skin incredibly glowy.
Heres the link: Alpha Arbutin Collagen Whitening Lotion 500MLS* | eBay
I've never used an AA soap before. I've only used kojic papaya type soaps, black soap, dead sea salt soap.. just exfoliation & assist with fading. There was a time I did use a gluta type soap for about a month, it was more of a gentle exfoliator though.

I agree, I would've believed that any soap with active ingredients would have to sit in on the skin long enough in order for it to have ample time to work it's magic. For lighteners, I'd personally rather go for topicals that wouldn't have to be rinsed off.

Thanks for the link 馃憤 .

Registered
Yes. So you would want to use a water base lotion as AA is water soluble. You would then mix the powder in with the cream. A few things to consider........how much are you wanting to make as I would need that in order to give you measurments, and also, do you have a scale to measure your ingredients with?
Hi gymrat, can msm be added with the AA as well? I've attempted to make an msm creme after reading Kassy's msm diy recipe, but was searching & couldn't find the diy msm serum.

Registered
Yes. So you would want to use a water base lotion as AA is water soluble. You would then mix the powder in with the cream. A few things to consider........how much are you wanting to make as I would need that in order to give you measurments, and also, do you have a scale to measure your ingredients with?

Hey! Thanks for responding gymrat. Im wanting to make a 1 litre lotion & I dont have a scale.
How long is AA shelf life?

Registered
I've never used an AA soap before. I've only used kojic papaya type soaps, black soap, dead sea salt soap.. just exfoliation & assist with fading. There was a time I did use a gluta type soap for about a month, it was more of a gentle exfoliator though.

I agree, I would've believed that any soap with active ingredients would have to sit in on the skin long enough in order for it to have ample time to work it's magic. For lighteners, I'd personally rather go for topicals that wouldn't have to be rinsed off.

Thanks for the link 馃憤 .

Hey. no worries.
Yea I think for AA its best to use a lotion rather than a soap. I really dont see how its supposed to work as a soap, even though people who use them
have nothing but good to say. Except for kojic acid (defs an exception).

Administrator
Hi gymrat, can msm be added with the AA as well? I've attempted to make an msm creme after reading Kassy's msm diy recipe, but was searching & couldn't find the diy msm serum.
Yes, it is water soluble as well @Gummi Bear dissolves with little effort.

Administrator
Hey! Thanks for responding gymrat. Im wanting to make a 1 litre lotion & I dont have a scale.
How long is AA shelf life?
Shelf life for AA? It has a long shelf life, 3 years. If you are talking about shelf life for a cream it will last as it will have a preservative. As for the measurements, you should really invest in a small scale if you are going to be making creams/lotions/etc. It makes measuring much easier/accurate. They are very inexpensive.

Registered
@gymrat - good point there gymrat, will definitely be looking into getting one.

So if i wanted to make a 5% AA lotion 1 litre large, how do i start? do I just melt the powder and mix it? how the hell do I mix it?

5% in a 1 Litre lotion is 40 grams? Is there something wrong with my calculation? Im confused.

Administrator
@gymrat - good point there gymrat, will definitely be looking into getting one.

So if i wanted to make a 5% AA lotion 1 litre large, how do i start? do I just melt the powder and mix it? how the hell do I mix it?

5% in a 1 Litre lotion is 40 grams? Is there something wrong with my calculation? Im confused.
No, you don't need to melt the powder.......it won't melt, its water soluble ;) . It will dissolve. I am not sure about your calculation, 1 liter is 1,000 grams.

But if you are wanting to make 40 grams of cream/lotion 5% AA, you would need to take the lotion/cream out of the container, and then mix in 2.10 grams of AA to it, mix it up well, then put back into the original container and or another container of your choice. Just remember it needs to be a water based cream/lotion. Not oil based. How do you know if its water based?? Read the ingredient listing, the first ingredient should be, Water (Aqua).

If you are not wanting to make 40 grams of cream, then just let me know the exact amount you are wanting to make or exact amount of the base cream/lotion you will be using. I will help you with the figures. Don't let it confuse you, your over thinking it.

Think of it this way.........if you want to make something 5% total, you will need to get it to 100%. So you would add 5% of the ingredient, and 95% of the base to bring it to 100%. Make sense??

Registered
@gymrat
Thanks for your response gymrat, so If Id like to make a 5% alpha arbutin lotion 1 litre large (1000grams), how many grams of AA powder would I need to put into
my lotion. how much lotion will I need? sorry im really lost.

so do I just pour the powder straight into the lotion and stir till it dissolves?

Administrator
@gymrat
Thanks for your response gymrat, so If Id like to make a 5% alpha arbutin lotion 1 litre large (1000grams), how many grams of AA powder would I need to put into
my lotion. how much lotion will I need? sorry im really lost.

so do I just pour the powder straight into the lotion and stir till it dissolves?
What I would do is get 500mls of lotion, look for a water base lotion that is 500 mls, or you can get 2 of them that are 250mls each, that would equal 500mls. Don't over think it............get your base lotion first. Start there. I don't care how much you get.......once you have it in your hands tell me exactly how much you have.......THEN I will give you measurements for the AA. So for now, just worry about finding a base lotion. We will take it step by step.

As for mixing...........you would need to take the lotion/cream out of the container, and then mix in your AA powder, mix it up well, then put back into the original container and or another container of your choice. That's it! But for now, get the base cream, come back and tell me exactly what you got!

Registered
A plain base lotion without mineral oil, petroleum, or parabens would be really cool. The one one I've been using has mineral oil as one of it's ingredients. It's pretty decent, but more natural alternatives would be a pleasant change.

Registered
What I would do is get 500mls of lotion, look for a water base lotion that is 500 mls, or you can get 2 of them that are 250mls each, that would equal 500mls. Don't over think it............get your base lotion first. Start there. I don't care how much you get.......once you have it in your hands tell me exactly how much you have.......THEN I will give you measurements for the AA. So for now, just worry about finding a base lotion. We will take it step by step.

As for mixing...........you would need to take the lotion/cream out of the container, and then mix in your AA powder, mix it up well, then put back into the original container and or another container of your choice. That's it! But for now, get the base cream, come back and tell me exactly what you got!

Hey @gymrat. Thanks so much, apologies for the delay in response, ive had final exams and its been craaaazy!!!!!

Im very short in money right now. Im waiting to get paid and I will definitely buy my lotion and
then come here and ask for further instructions. just asking, Ive read that alpha arbutin powder should be first dissolved in distilled water is this true?

Oh btw, I know the lotion I purchase should be water based so it should say aqua first or second in the list but sometimes they have things like jojoba oil, avocado oil etc way down in the list. I dont understand how is this then water based lotion? Im confused.

Registered
@Gummi Bear
Hey hun, I remember you asking me once what the name of the serum is i tried on my face.
its was from forever living. It has arbutin and aloe vera and its made my skin sooooo even, I dont ever remember having such a nice complexion.
It doesnt work well on skin tone darker than nc35.

heres the link: Forever Epiblanc

its also very expensive. Idont remember it being $30 when I first purchased it... this was 7 years ago btw.

Registered
A plain base lotion without mineral oil, petroleum, or parabens would be really cool. The one one I've been using has mineral oil as one of it's ingredients. It's pretty decent, but more natural alternatives would be a pleasant change.

Do you know of any water based lotions that dont have all these nasty chemicals?

Registered
Do you know of any water based lotions that dont have all these nasty chemicals?
Hi Summer123, thanks for mentioning the serum brand.
NC35 is more like closer to goals I'd like to reach again, maintain and evenly 馃槈 .

I've recently been using a product called "Naturally Me by Karen: Concentrated Skin Lightening Face Cream" for about a week now which contains kojic acid, mulberry, licorice root, bearberry extract, gigawhite, niacinamide, msm, dmae, hyaluronic acid listed as it's actives. Shea butter, collagen, etc. The preservative commonly listed on their site is phynoxyethonol, more than likely used & is viewed as one of the safer preservatives in skin products. No parabens.

Although nice list of natural lighteners, I'm not certain if this will provide any lightening for eumelanin-rich skin or anytime soon for me & I kind of doubt that it will since it's all natural.. Yet, who knows 馃し馃徑鈥嶁檧锔 ? First time trying an all natural skin lightener.. Yet, I'd assume natural lighteners produce more results on pheomelanin-rich skin, including skin that has effect of high levels of glutathione?

I believe that it does contain a concentrated amount of kojic acid though, as I've had to cut back on using my kojie san soap on my face & neck. Gives too much stinging.
I'm currently using it on my face, neck, & hands. Still in the 6-8 week exfoliating process for body, my hands had lightened about 2 shades just from using lactic acid lotion and occluding them most nights. Hopefully, this eventually may help give a boost & to match my chest area (2-3 shades lighter)..

Registered
@Gummi Bear

Here it goes.. LOL
just thought Id share my experience, I never bought suppositories, I made them at home myself.
I have the metal mould still here I bought two of them do you have any of your own? Mine took like a month to arrive.

Honestly, the suppositories are a pain in the arse (pun intended) LOL. no seriously. They are very difficult to keep in and they just make you feel like
you will poop any minute and you need to keep them in for some time for them to have a considerable effect. The biggest problem with suppositories
is that the ones you make at home arent potent enough to lighten you. The store bought ones work very well but they are very expensive.. trust me
you will not be able to use suppositories to maintain the results.

its up to you, you can try using them if youd like and check them out for yourself.
I cant even remember the recipe. I just melted coconut oil and poured my glut and vitamin C powder. filled the molds and then took them out once they come outta the fridge.

As for the serum... Im naturally nc35. hyperpigmentation slightly darker. if you're darker than nc35, natural ingredients will work they just take a lot longer than If
I was to use it for example. Products usually take a month to work on my skin.
Id say use an alpha arbutin lotion once gymrat tells us how to make one LOL... for someone with your skin tone you probs need to use a slightly higher concentration of alpha arbutin.

One thing id like to add about kojic acid is that once you stop using it, the skin turns darker than what it was originally. This is because the skin goes into a bit of a shock and the melanin
thats been suppressed comes back and is overstimulated. This doesnt happen with glutathione though. Im speaking from experience, my skin turned much darker when i stopped using kojic acid.
And cause kojic acid is an irritant and can thin the skin, using it long term isnt good. it can do a lot of damage to the skin over the years. Its thinned my skin in so many areas and has given me hyperpigmentation which we know is very difficult to treat.

thats why Im sticking to glutathione, all natural and doesnt darken the skin beyond its natural colour. I will add the alpha arbutin lotion once I get paid... Im so low in money right now lol.

Registered
@Gummi Bear

Here it goes.. LOL
just thought Id share my experience, I never bought suppositories, I made them at home myself.
I have the metal mould still here I bought two of them do you have any of your own? Mine took like a month to arrive.

Honestly, the suppositories are a pain in the arse (pun intended) LOL. no seriously. They are very difficult to keep in and they just make you feel like
you will poop any minute and you need to keep them in for some time for them to have a considerable effect. The biggest problem with suppositories
is that the ones you make at home arent potent enough to lighten you. The store bought ones work very well but they are very expensive.. trust me
you will not be able to use suppositories to maintain the results.

its up to you, you can try using them if youd like and check them out for yourself.
I cant even remember the recipe. I just melted coconut oil and poured my glut and vitamin C powder. filled the molds and then took them out once they come outta the fridge.

As for the serum... Im naturally nc35. hyperpigmentation slightly darker. if you're darker than nc35, natural ingredients will work they just take a lot longer than If
I was to use it for example. Products usually take a month to work on my skin.
Id say use an alpha arbutin lotion once gymrat tells us how to make one LOL... for someone with your skin tone you probs need to use a slightly higher concentration of alpha arbutin.

One thing id like to add about kojic acid is that once you stop using it, the skin turns darker than what it was originally. This is because the skin goes into a bit of a shock and the melanin
thats been suppressed comes back and is overstimulated. This doesnt happen with glutathione though. Im speaking from experience, my skin turned much darker when i stopped using kojic acid.
And cause kojic acid is an irritant and can thin the skin, using it long term isnt good. it can do a lot of damage to the skin over the years. Its thinned my skin in so many areas and has given me hyperpigmentation which we know is very difficult to treat.

thats why Im sticking to glutathione, all natural and doesnt darken the skin beyond its natural colour. I will add the alpha arbutin lotion once I get paid... Im so low in money right now lol.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I agree, store bought gluta suppositories are very expensive. Imo over-priced.
Yes, I had recently ordered a mould, supplies, ingredients. They haven't yet arrived.
I was wondering about how difficult they were to keep in.. kegal exercises here we come 馃槣.

--

Yes, the alpha arbutin I liked. Used it for a couple of weeks when transitioning from Caro White, both I liked overall. Hq is so temporary though & the limited amount of time able to use. The AA (was ikb) I have no idea of it's strength %, helped maintained & is milder. Yet, I hate that Mitchell's brand still uses parabens.

I haven't used Mitchell's within about 2 maybe 3 weeks (haven't verified dates on my notepad). I'm using dmso, & I agree natural is best.

I want to perhaps return to using AA, a diy no doubt. Was waiting for glutathione levels to build up more. Especially then use for face, neck, hands, few hyperpigmented small areas. Yet not full body, that I'm not certain.

I've been beginning to wonder though, how much of my complexioned areas are superficial & just can be repaired with AHAs, occlusion, while continuing with the oral regimen?..

I was surprised at the improvement so far of my hands and I wasn't using lighteners on them (not until about a week ago). Not expecting anything drastic, yet for the past couple of days have been trying to occlude my body to see if more improvement occurs without lighteners. While continuing to use this lightening creme for face/neck/and now hands.

Yes, kojic can be irritating more than I'd prefer to use long term. Afterwards when finishing this jar, I'd prefer something more gentle & effective, without KA. I like KA soap, yet can only use like 1-2/week anyways. Some people have the skin to handle it.

I have unopened papaya soap, I'm switching back to that. Including dead sea salt shea butter soap in which I really like.

Will you be using the AA for the full body? Or will you first test on small areas first, to be certain that it wouldn't interfere or overwhelm your gluta progress?

--

Honestly, I really don't know which Mac shade I am or where to fit on the fitzpatrick scale.. as it ranges from light yellow to dark brown, more intense hyperpigmentation on my elbows and knees (in which they're slowly improving again with exfoliation). As to why I rarely bother to wear foundation, yet I'd like to do more often.. eventually.

Along with having hereditary vitiligo, although only mild episodes now yet which used to be more heavily concentrated on my body, face, and neck (not fun). My dermatologist in the past had stated monobenzone isn't prescribed unless 50%+ affected areas (mine was about 20% at it's worse).

In the past I used to try to cover the patches with foundation, areas that couldn't be easily hidden with clothing. Used to hate when people noticed with confused/shocked reaction. Yet, foundation to me can be.. hated having to wash all of that off, reapply, etc. constantly. Thus, I had just eventually wore the digmentened areas proudly & exposed. The increased hyperpigmentation though..

I'm mostly grateful that I didn't become completely depigmented, yet at the least it would've been mostly uniformed and no longer a full range spectrum of hyperpigmentation & constellation spots/patches. I'd prefer golden or pale golden evenly vs totally depigmented or hyperpigmented.

Wasn't certain of how progressive it was going to get at the time. Was prescribed corticosteroids which had helped some (the thought of thinning of skin is disturbing) as well as more natural methods to increase melanin by basking in the sun & often, beta carotene, b vitamins, vitamin d. I'd say more sun exposure had helped most, yet intensified hyperpigmentation.. including hands.

I've mostly made peace with the vitiligo, as it's not as intense as it once was, have permanent specks & few patches, & satellite specks/spots that'll come & go.

My neck has improved a great deal, yet the constellation spots will remain permanent I've made peace with it & part of my identity. Although they're no longer large patches. The hyperpigmentation.. a work in progress.
A more uniform golden complexion that'll also make the specks appear less intense + more pheomelanin production like my avatar are goals.

Yesterday one of my associates continuously asked me what I was using on my skin. That it looked a little lighter, brighter, glowy. My only guess was that it must be the combination of the oral & topical ingredients that I use, yet it's still too soon to notice anything dramatic. It's only been 1 month for msm etc, exfoliation, 2 weeks s acetyl gluta. I had given them one of my carowhite that I had. I look in the mirror, yet I don't see much difference..
The only exception, the exfoliation & occluding is making my nails dark/orangish.

[ posted a couple of brief pics below, that I'll delete later ] .

61 - 79 of 79 Posts