check out this grandma.....whoooooaaaaaahhhhh

Grandma Still Teaches Yoga at 83
AOL
posted: 7 HOURS 56 MINUTES AGO
comments: 0
filed under: Health News
PrintShare
Text SizeAAA
(April 23) - Bette Calman is 83, but she has no trouble doing a headstand or sitting in lotus position. Downward dog is no stretch for her.
A grandmother who lives in southeastern Australia, Calman has been teaching yoga for 40 years -- and it shows. The octogenarian is more limber now than many people in their 20s.
Skip over this content
'You're Never Too Old'

BARM / Fame Pictures
4 photos

Previous

Next
She's 83, but you won't find Bette Calman sitting quietly in a rocking chair. She has been teaching yoga for 40 years, and can still do the difficult peacock pose. "Yoga keeps you young," she said.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes, yoga can keep you young! Someone described it as "a massage you give yourself". You can stimulate your internal organs with it as well as your muscles and skin. The concentration involved can overcome stress and many psycho-emotional problems. It can strengthen the mind, body and soul. It teaches us to breathe in a way that is life-giving and to live mindfully. So much more than just an exercise.

Some ppl have an affinity for it if they are limber to start with. But, as Dragonlilly says, there is a yoga for everyone! Even if you have to do it in a chair to start with!

Good idea!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Mom, I wish I could see those pics! My yoga teacher was in her 80's too! She looked in her 50's and she tought for over 40 years! I followed her classes for 20 years and about 5 years ago she had a stroke, and of course she stopped teaching, I really miss her, I saw few other teachers and no one so far is comparable to her. With all the stretching, Yoga keeps you young, and it also helped me to gain confident in doing things that I wouldn't have done before, I wouldn't have joined a chat room before yoga, especially not in English language, my English is not good enough, but yogi said so what :) (it's true 20 years ago there was no chat rooms )

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks Mom, this is great, I can't even do the position on her hands, it's too painfull on the wrist and on the head, I get dizy. I'm French Quebecer and live just across Ottawa river, Ontario. I have to think alot just to make sure it is readable :)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mariepop, your writing is charming. I'm glad you take the time to translate your thoughts into English for us here.

Mom, isn't that woman a wonder! Even in her pink polyester suit she's doing the locust pose! And not mussing up her hair even doing a headstand! You notice how wiry she is too - not an ounce of extra fat. Some ppl think that maintaining the body under normal weight is life-extending. I love to eat too much for that, but I hate to feel fat. Yoga is good for body awareness - you can feel the bloat too much!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Fawnie, thanks! Sometimes I wish to say things, but I refrain myself, it might not come out like it should be and may be interpretered differently.

About fat, I have rarely seen elderly people fat, my grandma was fat all her life but in her 80's she wasn't. They eat like birds, that's what my mother says.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh Mariepop! I think Americans are fascinated with other cultures and accents - USA is the Melting Pot of course! Do not restrain yourself! Be wild and we will figure out what you mean!

Do you ever get tickled at Americans trying to say something in French and it just comes out wrong....but you know what they are trying to say? It's funny, isn't it!

About elderly ppl not looking fat: I think it might have something to do with the muscles wasting and the bones shrinking. Still fat but no muscle mass.
Some elderly just are too thin however. Wasting away. No vitality.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Fawnie, thanks! Sometimes I wish to say things, but I refrain myself, it might not come out like it should be and may be interpretered differently.

Then you must read some of our English and think......what in the world are those crazys talking about now!!!

Even if English was your first language. When you talk on a forum like this, it is really easy for people to misinterpret. Even I have problems typing what I am really trying to say. It seems so simple in my head, but harder to put it in words.

I think you do a fantastic job Mariepop!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks Mom, this is great, I can't even do the position on her hands, it's too painfull on the wrist and on the head, I get dizy. I'm French Quebecer and live just across Ottawa river, Ontario. I have to think alot just to make sure it is readable :)
mariepop -- I love visiting Quebec -- my French is atrocious -- but especially Quebec City is like visiting Europe. I have a lovely slideshow of Quebec city at Christmas. I've taken my friends from France to Quebec and they loved the food and the atmosphere and the people.

I coulldn't cope on a French blog site -- you're doing famously.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words! it's fun to read or hear expressions that I don't know the meaning and I look up in the dictionary, and can't find it or may be a totally different definition, like : go commendo, hahaha!

We try hard to preserve our heritage, but I think within 50 years, we will not be distinct anymore, a real melting pot and like you said, it's like this every where! and French Quebecers will all be Americans by ending up living in Florida, if it's not already own by them

Chateau Frontenac belongs to American & arab now, and many other things are own by Asiatics. At the right price, everything is for sell. Quebec is a 5 hour drive from Ottawa, so I only went about 6 times, for skiing & bicycling. Dr. Phil has visited Ottawa few years ago and said it felt like he was in London, to say this, he probably only saw Chateau Laurier.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
We try hard to preserve our heritage, but I think within 50 years, we will not be distinct anymore, a real melting pot and like you said, it's like this every where! and French Quebecers will all be Americans by ending up living in Florida, if it's not already own by them

Chateau Frontenac belongs to American & arab now, and many other things are own by Asiatics. At the right price, everything is for sell. Quebec is a 5 hour drive from Ottawa, so I only went about 6 times, for skiing & bicycling. Dr. Phil has visited Ottawa few years ago and said it felt like he was in London, to say this, he probably only saw Chateau Laurier.
French Canadians think they're the only ones trying to preserve their heritage -- Toronto is about the most diverse city anywhere and the politicians try to be politically correct -- so a couple of year's ago Christmas trees couldn't be in public buildings -- and I remember we couldn't wish anyone a "Merry Christmas".

Quebec has a language law -- in Toronto -- some areas have signs that are totally in Greek, Chinese, Middle East -- and there are similar ghettos.

Maybe Quebec has it right and the rest of Canada needs a reassessment.

As far as the Chateau Laurier not being owned by Canadians -- what is these days?

One of the reasons I love going to Quebec is that women have a certain elan -- is that the correct word -- they know how to accessorize and always look chic.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words! it's fun to read or hear expressions that I don't know the meaning and I look up in the dictionary, and can't find it or may be a totally different definition, like : go commendo, hahaha!
..but you know now what that means, right??? LOL

It's so interesting to read you guys chatting about Quebec, which is one of the places I want to go before I die. Would I be completely intimidated by not knowing French? Are all the street signs in French? I can understand "food" French, but not "driving" French! LOL

Another place I need to go is Ste Ann's spa....it sounds like heaven and I understand they are selling properties there for retirement. I have seen the brochure and could easily live there I think...sight unseen. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
There is an old adage: "while in Rome, behave like a romain" (something like that) So why when aliens come here, they don't want to go by this old adage? If you go in their country, you better behave accordingly to their customs, otherwise you will end up in prison or ask to leave the country. I thought they came here because they didn't like what was going on in their country.

A woman said she went to an arab country, she brought with her a very small jewel cross. It was in a little box in one of her luggage and at the airport, they went through her luggages, they opened the little box and took the cross and throw it on the floor and sqashed it with their foot. Imagine if something like that would happen here, it will be in front page and will end up in court! and be called racists.

and Mari, have you heard about this public swimming pool in Montreal, about 2 years ago, they had to frost the windows because some arab girls did not want boys to see them swimming. The public was so outraged about having to frost the windows to accommodate few arab girls, it was in all newspapers & TV. Finally it went in court and they "unfrosted" the windows but they had to accommodate the arab girls by closing the swimming pool to the opposite sex but only for few hours/week.

About Chateau Laurier, this one I'm not sure who owns it but I know it used to be owned by Canadian Pacific railway and now it's Fairmont hotels, I think it's the same compagny but they have splited their assets.

Ottawa, Canada Hotel: The Chateau Laurier Hotel at Fairmont Chateau Laurier Ottawa check the 5th photo, Chateau at night with the parliament building behind.

Fawnie, I know about going commando, it's like not wearing socks with shoes but in a upper department. Anyway, both ways, I would be afraid of getting rashes. LOL

And about Quebec city, don't worry, all public places require to be bilingual, you will always find someone who speaks English, and for the street signs, make sure you rent a car with a GPS. When you say Ste-Ann, do you mean Ste-Anne de BeaubrÃa9 which is 1/2 hour drive from Quebec city (that is where is the best ski in East coast) or it's another Ste-Ann? I guess there are lots of places called Ste-Ann.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Mariepop- how close is Quebec to Maine? do you know? Quebec is in eastern Canada?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes it is Eastern Canada, I know it's not very far from Maine borders (few hours?), I drove once from Quebec through Maine to go to New Brunswick, But for you who are in California, Quebec will certainly be a good 6 hours by plane if it's not more

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yes it is Eastern Canada, I know it's not very far from Maine borders (few hours?), I drove once from Quebec through Maine to go to New Brunswick, But for you who are in California, Quebec will certainly be a good 6 hours by plane if it's not more
Oh yes I would never drive to Quebec from CA. My limit in a car is about 3 hours-
I am not a good car traveler.

We have friends in NH and visit every year. So when we are in NH we drive to Maine for the lobster of course.
I thought Quebec was close by so I thought I would ask.

Maybe next time we are Maine, I can get them to take me to Quebec. I looked at that hotel, very nice. Most Fairmonts are very nice. We have yet to stay in a bad one.

Thank you for posting that link to the Chateau Laurier

1 - 20 of 20 Posts