Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL is it just me or does no one use HQ 4% anymore?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've got a bunch coming to keep as back-up in case my efforts at compounding prove unsuccesssful in the longterm. I also intend to try experimenting with compounding using the 4% as a base.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Soo how are the efforts going thus far? Seen any results yet?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I decided to use up the HQ 4% at night with the RA and use the HQ homemade compound during the day since ill be indoors ofr a while with my home office just recently, I read your other post about HQ/darkening, that was a very good explanation.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks LnL! Hope your compounding works out. Not sure when i'll be able to start mine, going to place the order for the 2KG pack from arcos. Should be here in a few weeks. Happy lightening! Btw, seeing any results from your compound yet or is it too early?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Reyaz01. I used my test batch of HQ20% for one week only partly jus to see whether it remained stable, whether there wer any adverse effects & whether I could see sings it was effective. It produced no adverse effects on my skin, remained stable & there was some lightening on my test area. 20% was an over-kill test batch. When Fri came & I ran out of test batch I, I compounded test batch II with a sane 10% concentration (all most people will ever need). Since I used it only 4 times since (Fri eve, Sat morn & eve & Sun Morn) it is waay too soon for me to say much other than, in the eucerin (highly moisturizing) base, with 10% HQ, the resulting cream has a drying effect, melts into the skin rapidly & causes some exfoliation. This much I know for sure. LNL also cooked up the same thing so it'll be interesting to read about his results after a week or so of regular use.

·
Registered
670 Posts
So, the 10% dries your skin, even with the Eucerin?

I have the Eucerin Original but, I did see something that said Extra Moisturizing or something along those lines. I might take that stuff back, if it's 'drying'.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I dont htink its the Eucerin that dries the skin, I think HQ in high concentrations has a drying affect ONLY because it exfoliates the skin rapidly as well as lightening. Eucerin is a moisturizer meant for very dry skin, I cant imagine any other moisturizer out there that has a great track record like Eucerin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
670 Posts
I may take this Eucerin back, then. My glycerin was able to handle the high percent HQ mixture without drying, but after the peeling I did, the glycerin became 'wet' on my skin. Still, I woke up moisturized. Hmm.. I don't know... There has to be something out there that can handle the high % comfortably.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
you used glycerin and what else on your other formulation? I think as long as its not uncomfortable, high percentages will always make you peel and your skin has to be a little dry to peel, peeling and lightening go hand in hand, speaking of which yeah im peeling as well but I dont feel tight, uncomfortable or irritated though.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
670 Posts
HQ & Glycerin. I didn't do any type of peeling when I was super light.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
So, the 10% dries your skin, even with the Eucerin?

I have the Eucerin Original but, I did see something that said Extra Moisturizing or something along those lines. I might take that stuff back, if it's 'drying'.
Have you ever tried mixing a little Eucerin lotion with a little Aquaphor? When I was taking Accutane and got extremely dry I used straight Aquaphor on my face at night. Sounds gross but was very soothing.

Eucerin

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks, Fawnie! another product I'd never heard of.

My skin is reacting like yours, LNL: dry but not uncomfortably so in the way that RA can make it. It IS the HQ; not the Eucerin. The original formula is the one I chose since it was the one that kept popping up in my research. Derms tend to be using this as a base quite frequently & with good results. Some used Lidex cream as a base, but it is tough to find & if I recall, it contains a steroid. For irritation & dryness, I prefer a drop or 2 of Lavender essential oil in some olive oil. Does the job & smells divine.

I tried the glycerine/HQ blend too, but on my skin, I was a greasy sticky mess even when I applied it sparingly. It seemed to sit on my skin with my precious HQ happily depigmenting the atmosphere around me. But hey...it worked well for Goddess & it might do so for others here too.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thank you GymRat and Fawnie.

I see what they mean when they say everything isn't for everyone. I liked my glycerin mix better BEFORE I did my peel. Now, it's wet, when I thought it would absorb better and the DPG makes me ridiculously SUPER dry. Ninasky doesn't get dry by the DPG.

I'll keep this Eucerin and try mixing small amounts of glycerin to it to make it moisturize.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Actually, that is a brilliant idea, goddess: adding in some glycerine. I didn't think to try that. It might blend the hQ in even more thoroughly & add moisture. We'll keep tweaking this compounding business as we go along & eventually, we'll devise formulations that'll work for everyone from white people with permatans & freckles to Fitz Vi people seeking to lighten by a few shades.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hey ondine i was looking through one of your posts about the 10% HQ u made and u said that it can lighten fitz IV-V skin does that mean then that 4% HQ would not be effective in doing this?

and sorry idont know if this asking for too much but i was wondering if you could post a detailed step to step guide to compounding 10% hq?... ive read your other posts (there very helpful) but im still confused :S im really stuck with the adding 9 tablespoon of eucerin and then add 1 table spoon of hq and then 4 more table spoons of eucerin. once i have done this would this be enough like would that be appliable 10% cream that i can heat up transfer to bottle and use straigh away for a week? or would i need to add more hq cuz 1 tablespoon sounds like so little!?

Thanks for ur great great help in the past and i hope to hear back from u!!!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Paulwalk, question away! As you can tell, it IS a confusing process & I am relatively new to it. What you are describing is WAAAYYY too much cream. It'll probably begin to oxidize on you as the pump bottle empties & the lotion is exposed to more & more air. Here's a good 10% recipe that makes 1 week's supply, Since making it is fast & easy, do NOT make tons of product: HQ creams never come in huge tubes or jars because it tends to oxidize easily when air touches it (happens every time you open the container!)

total volume of cream: 200mls

20 mls HQ
190 mls Eucerin.

1. pour roughly 1/2 the Eucerin lotion into a heatproof pyrex measuring cup.
2. add the HQ
3. cover with the remaining cream (further reduces exposure to light during the cooking process.
4. cover with plastic wrap, leaving a steam vent.

Heat on the stove either using a double boiler (water in bottom pot, measuring cup in the top pot) OR place yr measuring cup directly into a pot of water where the water rises to the level of the cream in your measuring cup. Turn element to med/high & heat until 180-185 degrees. Some sources use 170 degrees but with my 2nd batch I got great results at 180-185. Stir to thoroughly melt in & blend the HQ. You may notice an oily separation in the cream when it is very hot. This stirs easily back in as the cream cools. Leave it at this temp for a few mins then remove it from the heat to cool. Once it can be handled (warm but not hot) pour it into yr pump bottle.

*SAFETY*

Raw QH must be handled carefully. It mustn't get onto yr skin, in yr body or on yr countertops or table. Cover these surfaces first with plastic wrap. Wear vinyl gloves, a mask & goggles the entire time you are working. Discard gloves & mask after 1 use. When you open your bag or packet of HQ, work swiftly to ensure minimal air exposure. Close remaining HQ in an air & light proof container (a plastic twist tie bag inside an opaque jar works) kept out of people's reach as it can be easily mistaken for sugar or splenda. The utensils you use for compounding cannot be used EVER for food or anything else. I use a disposable long plastic chopstick to stir my compound as it is cooking. Over time, I plan to get more professional compounding tools but for now, these are working fine. I hope this is of some use to you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
thank you very much ondine for your help!!! one more thing then im ready for compounding the 20mls of HQ how much is that in tablespoons??

1 - 20 of 55 Posts