Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
In my area the The Obagi Blue Peel cost approximately $800, I suppose the price will vary, depending on your area or the facility. I haven't tried it but, from what I understand it penetrates very deeply and stains your skin blue and you can't even be near the sun or windows, etc. until your down-time is complete. I've heard really great stories and really horrible stories from my fellow skin care colleagues. This is a VERY aggressive chemical peel. If you have dark skin, this may pose a higher risk of side effects. I would definately speak with a dermatologist in addition to hearing from consumers so that you are well informed if you are considering receiving this procedure.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have heard of this before, but however is this not a fairly new treatment, as far as i know what makes it different to other chemical peels is that they test the skin to look at it properly before peeling away at the skin, but what makes this different from other peels is that they can far further into the skin than other peels!

If you are just starting off with peels i would start off with more gentle approach or try an at home peel!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Hi everyone. I really wanted to share my story, and i hope this is okay with you all. Please forgive me if i write too much. I have sun damage on my skin, that just makes me look older then my age. I have hyper-pigmentation from old acne, and about 6 months ago, my doctor prescribed me Belara (birth control pill)which I don't believe they sell in America. I live in Brazil and this brand is offered there, and I also lived in Italy, and i remember my OBGYN wanted me to try Belara for my acne. They call it the acne pill.

I believe its similar to Yaz. Well the reason why i am telling you this, is because i was prescribed belara to help with hormonal acne breakouts. Well it helped the first 3 months, but then i started to breakout like crazy, and then i started to notice i was developing melasma. :-((

Immediately I stopped taking the pill, because I was like, this is not helping, but giving me another skin problem to worry about! The doctor in Brazil then prescribed me retin a micro and hydroquinone. It helped clear up the acne, but made me breakout first, but i noticed it was purging out all the clogged pores. And the hydroquinone was helping some what with the melasma.

Well I came back to America about a month ago, I went outside literally in the Florida sun for 5 mins, and got a slight tan! I have olive skin, and tan sooooo easily and fast. I almost cried, because it made my hyper pigmentation darker! Right there and then, I knew I had to do something about my skin, and I became interested in the Obagi Nu Derm system.

I made an appointment with a Doctor here, who told me that i should do an Obagi Blue Peel. Which is basically a tca peel with a blue dye mixed. Now I had a chemical peel done before, but about 8 years ago, and it took off every freckle on my skin, and I looked great. However, I was skeptical in getting it done, because when I had the peel done 8 years ago, they missed a spot near my jaw line, and i didn't get a peel near my lower eye area, so the skin in this area look odd compared to the fresh glowing pink skin.

So this new doctor convinced me, that the obagi blue peel is great, because with the dye, you can see where it is being place, and they can tell exactly where they need to apply more. She then told me the nu derm system would be great, and to use this as my official skin care products.

I was so desperate, I booked the appointment for the peel. Normally when you get an obagi blue peel, they have you use the nu derm system for 6 weeks prior to the peel, and stopping one week before the peel day. But since I was using retin a micro, .1% and the hydroquinone, she said i would be fine, and since i told her i did well with the tca peel i did in the past, she assured me i should go ahead and do the peel.

I went ahead and got the peel done. Now its 6 days since I did the peel, and I am still peeling, more like flaking really. The new skin that is showing looks exactly as it did before, freckles and all, just more smoother and softer, but the new skin is also breaking out with tiny pimples, and my nose is full of black heads, but they are dry, and really needed to be cleaned out. She had me apply only this moisturizer by obagi called action during this peeling process, and no greasy ointments. But because i was concerned, for two things, the breakout, and hardly peeling, she told me to stop the moisturizer, because she says this defeats the whole purpose, and prevents you from peeling. Which i thought moisturizing helps aid the peeling process?

Also my skin didn't get really tight, nor turn really brown before i started peeling like i did years ago with a regular tca peel. I don't feel this peel was that strong.

She said she applied a 15% tca peel, with the blue dye, and did 2 layers all over, but my forehead hardly turned brown or dry, and its just flaking, and i have this one area where i felt the nurse keep rubbing over more then the other parts of the skin, and this part is darker skin, yet to peel, and i see red skin underneath, like broken capalleries. I remember saying to her, ouch please stop! It burned more then any other area of the skin, it felt like my skin was going to melt off. She asked me if i wanted a third layer, but at this point i was so stressed from the burning sensation, i could not do it.

When I had done the tca peel the first time, the nurse applied a numbing cream, left it on for 30 mins, and then wiped my skin with alcohol to remove any oils. This time in doing the blue peel, she wiped my skin with alcohol and acetone, but no numbing cream was used, and nor did she tell me that the 3rd layer was my choice. I know some women even get 4 layers. I feel if i did the 3 layer, and 4 in the more problem areas, I would of got a good result, but i would have to take some sort of pain killer, because it burned to much. But the thing is, the burning sensation wasn't so much all over, it was that area near my eye, that just caused to much pain for me! If it wasn't for that, I would totally have gotten the 3 layer.

My face turned a really dark blue, but they had me wash with the special cleanser, and it took a lot off. The doctor was like, wow, you got most of it off. I was left with a slight blue tint, but this came off after one day.

I spent $725 dollars to do this peel, and feel like i am getting the same results from doing a glycolic acid peel. I don't feel it was worth this money at all. I am hardly peeling. I should of went with my gut, and not have done this blue peel. Because I had did a search and read online, that the blue dye, actually weakens the tca chemical, and therefore you must use a stronger amount, and that 15% is too weak.

I should of went back to the same doctor who did the peel the first time, and just stressed out to them, to make sure to apply it evenly, because in the end, even though they missed an area near my jaw line, and didn't apply any under my eye area (at the time i was young, and didn't have wrinkles there), i peeled so nicely with such beautiful baby butt skin!

Now i am so sad, because i spent so much money, and i am going back to brazil in a month or two, and was hoping to have nice smooth skin. Hardly anyone in brazil wears makeup, and i always have to put layers of foundation on to even out my skin.

Has anyone experience something like this before? Getting a professional peel, and paying all this money, to get such little results? The melasma is not severe, but it there is dime size amount on my upper cheek, on both sides, and a light shadow about my lip and around my chin area.

I guess i really was hoping for a quick fix. As soon as my skin heels and finishes peeling, the doctor said she will then give me the okay to start the obagi nu derm system. I just hope this wasn't an additional 300 dollars spent. I hope this system helps my skin. Both with this new acne developing and help get rid of these sun damaged freckles and melasma.

Or should i go to my original doctor, and after the 4 to 6 week wait, get a tca peel done again? I am too scared to buy it online and do it myself. I have the worst luck. All i remember is when I had the peel done, years ago, after the healing process, my brother was like, wow your skin is smooth like a plastic doll! It was incredible, and back then I had more damage to my skin, cause of severe acne, that left awful hyper pigmentation. I just wish I could remember what percentage they used, but i just remember them calling it a medium chemical peel.

Sorry for my long story, i just really needed to share this. I have been so anxious and sad, and was hoping to hear from some other people, who have advice and more experience. Thanks for reading. :))

1 - 4 of 4 Posts