Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a deep skin peel that must be done either by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist. From what I've read, results are dramatic. For those with uneven complexion, melasma, sun damage or other signs of aging, it is apparently excellent. Has anyone here had it done? What was the process like & what did it cost? Obaji's products are costly, but so far, I've only heard good things about them. Right now, I'm using a lightening regimen that is workin steadily (this is by nature a time consuming process).

My mother's skin could use something to boost her results. She's responding incredibly well & rapidly to Retin A 0.1%. There was a great improvement from the exfoliation alone in just 3 weeks. Her lines have softened & some have disappeared! She had 3 deep vertical frown lines between her brows. Now, the one on the right has all but vanished! Her skin is making more collagen so her face is tighter & is losing its slack look. It is fantastic to see & she is much happier as a result. At 71, she looks lika a woman in her early 50's (she aats well, is a non smoker & avoids the sun). Retin A is erasing years. If anyone knows about this peel, please dish!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Ondine
I personally haven't done this peel. It's a TCA peel. Here's some info about it though:

http://www.skinsite.com/info_obagi_blue_peel.htm

I tried the whole Obagi line of products and didn't think it was so special, or worth the $400 price tag. I get better results using my own Retin-A, vitamin C serum, and sunscreen. Don't go for the hype!

Is your mother using a vitamin C serum in conjunction with the Retin-A? Good for you for getting her squared away with a great skin care routine!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. THey don't mention anything about prices for the peel. I bet, based on Obaji's other product prices, that they aren't cheap! As for the vitamin c serum, she is not using one at this point.From what I'm reading here, the do it yourself route seems iffy. Are there good ones you kn ow of that are made by people who truly know what they're doing?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi Ondine! Nice avatar - we finally get to see your lovely face! =)

As far as Vitamin C serums, the leaders in the field are Cell-ex and SkinCeuticals. The man who formulated and patented the C+E ferulic serum idea headed both companies, I understand. They are pricey tho. They are sold on eBay but who knows how fresh they are then. There are other varieties, but the two I mentioned are reportedly the most potent and really are the "original" formulas.

LOL yeah, anything to do with Obagi is expensive, on top of that factor in the Dr's fees. Maybe you can look around for the best deal if you are in a major metropolitan area....?

Good on ya for looking out for your mum! She's a lucky one!

Hope this helps a little
fawnie =)

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Yes Ondine- lashes look great!!

Obaji is easy to get here, you don't have to be under a Dr's care for it. They sell it in most spa's and some beauty supplies. The TCA they might make you get from a Derm, I am not sure, as all of my TCA were done in a Dr office.

Obaji is not a bad product. But not one I would continue to use for any length of time. I don't know Ondine, if I would use it for my mother if she were 70. It might be too harsh. There are so many other lines out there you should look at, that is just my opinion. There are some really good AHA/BHA peels. Also Lactic acid peels are a good choice for beginners. Really you have options, not just Obaji either-

You are good at researching Ondine, you know what to do!!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd never attempt that or advise anyone else to. these are seriously harsh & must be handled by those who know how to do so safely. Still, thouogh...it'd be hilarious seeing my old mother turn blue for a few days! hehehe.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Haha I didn't think you would Ondine, just clarifying! I think the blueness doesn't last that long though as I recall. I had looked into it, until I saw the prices....

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the blue peel and would NOT recommend it! it was expensive and besides being a really wierd blue color for days afterwards it caused severe acne to erupt and ended up with a couple bad acne scars!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
galemany me too! i would not recommend! i also am getting acne from this blue peel! although i was able to wash off most of the blue before i left home, so i was only left with a slight blue tint, that was gone in one day, but other then then, i recommend stick with a regular tca peel!! the blue peel is nothing special! $725 dollars lost!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Agreed with the other posters. My girlfriend did it and she could not leave the house for days because her face was blue. She said it was not worth it. I'd research TCA peels if you are interested in something comparable (I think) and then ask goatlady afterwards if you have any questions. I've been looking into TCA peels but decided to go for the glycolic for my mum. But, still trying to figure out where lactic acid peels fit in relative to glycolic and tca.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have had three blue peels so I thought I would contribute my thoughts. It is an excellent peel for several reasons, mostly because of their patented blue dye. Not only does the blue color guide the dermatologist but also slows the absorption of the TCA. This allows the dermatologist to slowly apply acid to the areas that need it most. When we do straight TCA peel's at home we often have to rinse before achieving a perfectly uniform frost. The blue peel makes this possible I "only" paid $500 for each peel and did have excellent results but now feel comfortable applying my own TCA peel at home. I probably don't go quite as deep at home but considering the cost savings I just don't think I can go back to spending so much. If you have the cash though, go for it! I don't think you will regret it. Pain is a significant factor though. My sister and I had one together and hands-down agreed it was the most painful experience of our lives. This is coming from someone who has passed kidney stones and spent weeks in the hospital with severe burns. Even with the painkillers I took before hand and the hose with cold air, it was excruciating!!! If it weren't for the added cost I would have opted for general anesthesia the second and third time… Not joking!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts