Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good DIY recipe for a oil cleanser for dry, sensitive skin?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Extra Virgin Olive oil, Apricot seed oil, Rice bran oil, I would throw in my vote for Hemp seed oil [ except I am an oilier skin type ] others have liked it.

You will need the polysorbate to have it rinse cleanly, otherwise you will be stuck irritating your skin with a very warm towel to get rid of the excess oil.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Though DragoN has mentioned some nice oils, I would suggest starting simple with jojoba, which is great for dry and sensitive skin. You might add some lavender or sweet orange essential oils, which are good for dry and sensitive skin -- there are other possibilities (check links in my siggie), but those are simple and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I have a few question though. Is a Washcloth essential for this cleanser as I usually just use my hands to wash my cleanser off (Are any type of washcloth better than others? I'm worried it will be too harsh on my sensitive skin)

Also do you just mix the oils and use them straight away or do you have to leave it for a certain amount of time etc.?

Thanks again

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
^^ exactly. Mix and use...for sensitive skin may also like to try some Essential Oil's, Jasmine, Neroli...depends on you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right I'm thinking of using a mix of castor,jojoba & lavander to start with - does this sound ok and if so what percentage of each would be best?

Also can anyone in the UK recommend reputable suppliers?

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Make natural skin care and cosmetic products with Aromantic Ltd

Shea Butter Fairtrade | Raw Cocoa Butter | Coconut Oil | African Black Soap | Akoma Skincare
Have fair trade and organic oils.

Armomantic also has GÃa9lisucre emulsifier that is perfect for cleansing oils.

Goes like this:
20% GÃa9lisucre
80% oil (any blend or single oil)
Vit E as antioxidant (0.05-0.5% or so)
Essential oils (less then 0.5% is best imo, but depends on the EOs really)

Just mix the emulsifier and oil and use a mixer to blend. The texture changes more into clear gel after a day or 2.
Polysorbates can also be added up to 20% (replace some oil and/or some GÃa9lisucre), more polysorbate=more cleansing power, they are better for oilier skins.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Right I'm thinking of using a mix of castor,jojoba & lavander to start with - does this sound ok and if so what percentage of each would be best?

Also can anyone in the UK recommend reputable suppliers?
If you have sensitive skin, I would not use essential oils, especially not lavender. They can cause irritation even at low % IMHO.

why not start simple, maybe with a Jojoba, rice bran, castor mix?

Or you can buy a great ready made one for less than 20 bucks, this one has an emulsifier in it already, and be done with it. Purified Skincare - High Performance Sensitive Skin Care Treatments - OCM - Oil Cleansing Method - Cleansing Oils w/ emulsifiers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BeautySleep - What do you think would be the best cleanser for me from the website you listed?

I have sensitive, acne prone skin thats quite oily so its hard for me too choose.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
BeautySleep - What do you think would be the best cleanser for me from the website you listed?

I have sensitive, acne prone skin thats quite oily so its hard for me too choose.
The last one, Sensitive #2.....it says it's for sensitive, oily to normal skin.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Those who have dry or sensitive skin need to be especially careful when choosing a facial cleanser. This is not a simple task because products that are labeled for dry or sensitive skin can sometimes be too harsh. f you're not a fan of Cetaphil, there are plenty of other sensitive-skin products to try. Claims to be gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin. It isn't reviewed as often as other cleansers, but experts say the ingredients it contains are ideal for skin that's easily irritated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts