Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good product for oily skin? I'm looking for actual products, not home made remedies since I am a college student living in the dorms and don't have the resources to make my own remedies.

My skin is especially oily on my forehead and nose. Even if i wash my face many times throughout the day, it is oily again with an hour. PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Musicguy

I also suffer from oily skin. I know how ebarrassing this is. Not only does it look slimey and greasy but it also feels dirty. It is important not to use really strong, drying products. Although feeling temporarily better, they can actually make your skin produce even more sebum.

I have tried all sorts of products and cosmetics. By far the best for me is the Ketsugo range. In particular, I like the gel or spray. It clears the oil without drying out the skin. And once applied, it is completely invisible. It is available online or in some large Department stores.

Good luck.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hard to recommend a particular brand product really.

If you skin is only a bit too oily you could go for a moisturizer with starch in it. Nivea's Aqua Sensation or L'Occitane's Lavender moisturizer for oily skin prevents skin from getting that oily look very well.

If your skin has issues with dryness and sensitivity in addition to the excessive oil you could try a light cream with hyaluronic acid and perhaps some anti-oxidants. All the stores and pharmacies should have something to choose from.

If you have problems with clogged pores and perhaps break-outs you can go for a cleanser with salicylic acid. There are lots of good ones out there; Jason's Aloe Vera with salicylic and again most pharmacies have their own brand.

Clogged pores and proneness to acne can easily be solved by weekly salicylic peels. This is a very good peel at a very low price. 30ml 30% Lactic / 20% Salicylic Acid Combination Peel on eBay, also, Masks Peels, Skin Face Care, Health Beauty (end time 11-Jul-09 12:51:15 BST)

If you find a product that works but it needs a bit extra don't be afraid to look for something from the DIY sites. Adding something to a cream doesn't have to be more difficult than adding a teaspoon of sugar to your tea. There are lots of ready to use options too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just purchased this product from VICHY yesterday:

Aqualia Thermal Mat Fortifying & Soothing Hydrating Gel

I was told that it not only moisturizes, it helps control excess sebum. It is a "Fortifying and soothing 24 hr hydrating gel" that also has a anti-shine effect. The girl at the cosmetic counter said it would be ideal for my extra oily skin. The website does not list the ingredients, why I do not know. I think they should always be listed. When I got home I read all of the ingredients (could not really read in store print was to small) now I am wondering if I should use, it lists "alcohol denat" as the fourth ingredient.....I cannot list all ingredients too many, but do you think this would be ok to use while on Taz.????..I would only use this in the morning, I would not use this to buffer the Taz...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ros,

I checked out the Ketsugo website and it states that users should first wash their face with the Ketsugo Anti Bact Wash. However their website only sells the Spray and Gel...do you still recommend I purchase the gel/spray without the Anti Bact wash?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Musicguy

I also suffer from oily skin. I know how ebarrassing this is. Not only does it look slimey and greasy but it also feels dirty. It is important not to use really strong, drying products. Although feeling temporarily better, they can actually make your skin produce even more sebum.

I have tried all sorts of products and cosmetics. By far the best for me is the Ketsugo range. In particular, I like the gel or spray. It clears the oil without drying out the skin. And once applied, it is completely invisible. It is available online or in some large Department stores.

Good luck.
Hi Ros,

I checked out the Ketsugo website and it states that users should first wash their face with the Ketsugo Anti Bact Wash. However their website only sells the Spray and Gel...do you still recommend I purchase the gel/spray without the Anti Bact wash?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah for sure. I haven't used the wash - I suspect they are just trying to sell more of their products. I would certainly advise applying the gel or spray to clean skin - preferably not cleansed with soap though.

I personally use the gel along with other products and get really good results.

Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

If you wash several times during any one day, you will increase oil production. This would worsen if you were using the wrong products.

It maybe difficult to take in, but one of the best products for oily skin is oil and an alcohol-based toner will encourage even greater production of sebum to compensate for its drying-nature.

PROPER SKIN CARE IS VITAL FOR OILY SKINS

Cleanse: Use a ph-balanced cleanser [bar/liquid]. I use DOVE soap which is inexpensive and excellent. Massage into wet skin and rinse thoroughly with warm water. Complete with a cold water splash.
Tone: To reduce the appearance of enlarged pores, soak a cotton wool pad in a dilution of CIDER VINEGAR [one tablespoon per cup of water]. You can keep this in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Day Moisturiser: Use a high SPF sunscreen
Night: CLEANSE: Use grapeseed oil [from supermarket] is fine. Does not need to be from the health-store.

Massage into face. Remove with a flannel. Many beauticians recommend a flannel rung out in hot water but I use a dry flannel and it exfoliates the skin beautifully.

REPEAT and REPEAT once more if necessary. Leave a final thin film of oil on the complexion which you rub in.

Exfoliation: Once or twice a week after cleansing to unclog pores and remove debris.
Be gentle:
Tea-tree oil can be dabbed on any spots,

Hope this helps,

redrose

·
Registered
108 Posts
You're going to get a lot of suggestions with this question. Here's mine:

It's cheap, and easy. Use oil to red your skin of its oiliness. Castor oil & olive oil - mix a little together, massage all over your face for 5 - 10 min, then use a warm wash cloth to remove. Your skin will feel fabulous. Google 'oil cleansing method' and you'll find this is very successful for a lot of people. The harsher products tend to remove the oil short-term, but the skin responds by creating more oil and the cycle begins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts