Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive finally taken all your advice you guys know who u are thanks again ,any way my face is not irratated or anything but i have a red tomato beard due to the tretinoin .i woke up this morning and all the red area has gone black or 5 shades darker than my skin colour,so the tretinoin has made my hyperpigmentation 5 times more noticable,so ive thrown away 3 tubes because if i keep it in my house ill be tempted to try again ,or try every other nite etc.but im never risking it,

so heres the question how can i clear up this new hyperpigmentation ?do i carry on using hq or drop it and try something else,your help is apreceated

cheers.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Tretinoin. Some people's skin just doesn't tolerate it. Since your skin seems to be very sensitive, perhaps seeing a derm for advice would be prudent. If you do see a derm, try to find one with a clientele of a bkgd similar to your own.

A derm assuctomed to working with white skin or mostly very black skin might not have sufficient experience or knowledge of suitable products for skin such as your own.Some of your hyperpigmentation may fade on its own as your skin recovers from the tretinoin. Be extra gentle with your skin until it has returned to its normal state.

Oh & BTW, next time you have spare untouched tubes of RA or anything else, you might want to offer them up on the forum for someone here who CAN use them. I recently did that with the TCA 12.5% peeling kit I'd ordered. It just wasn't strong enough for my skin but it was perfect for the woman who gladly took it off of my hands. Community sharing is a great thing esp in a lagging economy.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
No kidding ondine should never waste any product if there is someone who needs/wants it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good idea never thought of giving it 2 forums members .wel next time.so do i use hq alone to fix my face.i cant see a derm at the mo. as my family gp has to refer me and that take 3 months,plus the last time i saw a derm they said they have nothing as good as hq ,but cant prescribe it as its illegal in uk.so the derm said get it online ,

so do i continue with hq alone to fix the new hyperpigmentation and spf 50 +

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I have so many tretinoins in my refrigerator I could conceivably open an e-bay shop but for the legalities! I have about 40 tubes of .1% because I was using it from head to toe and then I was so itchy all the time I had to stop.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Lexi, you were smart to stock up. This is what I am doing now after the ADC Lumigan scare. We almost had a collective mass stroke here !
Freaked the you-know-what out of many of us.

Since you cannot go to a derm & we know HQ4% works, that may be your best bet. In your case, considering the irritation you are trying to recover from, I'd be sure to avoid any exfoliating or acidic treatments until your skin is back to normal. Then, I'd suggest the St. Ives apricot scrub for sensitive skin to begin with (to help clear away dead skin cells & help skin better absorb the HQ).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ondine I am a "stocker upper" cannot tell you how many creams, lotions, meds and potions I have laying around which I have gone off before finishing my supply. BUT with retin-a once I saw the expiry date I knew it was a good idea to get a ton.

Live1--I have had amazing results with tri-luma on my melasma. It literally disappeared within one tube! It is harsh and has tretinoin in it but it also has hq and a topical steroid. I am not being funny but retin-a made it worse for me with melasma but the combo made it go away in about two weeks NO JOKE. You can likely source this online as the NHS guidelines strictly prohibit HQ but it is readily available without rx online.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lexi i think the retina a in tri- luma will mess me up but cheers anyway.so im continueing with hq and im getting the scrub,twice a day for the scrub or once?.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have so many tretinoins in my refrigerator I could conceivably open an e-bay shop but for the legalities! I have about 40 tubes of .1% because I was using it from head to toe and then I was so itchy all the time I had to stop.
Hi Lexi!
Are you offering this tretinoins to members of the forum? I m looking for some
. Please let me know. I am currently using nadiola to bleach my skin. Not sure if it will get the job done. So adding this will be awesome!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Hi Lexi!
Are you offering this tretinoins to members of the forum? I m looking for some
. Please let me know. I am currently using nadiola to bleach my skin. Not sure if it will get the job done. So adding this will be awesome!
Hi-

I am still using it for now but may well stop at some point, if I do I will let you know for sure! If not you can order some on ADC they were only like 3 US Dollars each.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Lol Lexi! I'm a stocker-upper with billions of products lying around, too!!

Live1, if you listen to nothing else in your life(Well, maybe not that dramatic.), leave anything to do with exfoliation ALONE, at this time. It WILL get worse and worse. Take it from someone who's been there. Slow down, breath. Maybe lay off anything, except for a good moisturizer, for a week or so. Then, go back to the HQ. And, yes, the St.Ives Apricot scrub will be good for you in a few weeks.

Try this:

Week 1: Nothing but moisturizer.
Week 2: Start back on HQ
Week 3: Add St.Ives Apricot Scrub(Once a week. DO NOT use this scrub any more than ONCE a week on your face)

Your face doesn't have to be constantly scrubbed. The shiny-ness you got from the RA sounded like you reached your maximum exfoliation, at that time. The face is extremely far more sensitive than the body and can easily get hyperpigmentation with over exfoliation.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Live1, the scrub is something you should wait a little before using. Sensitized skin should not be treated with a scrub. Give it a little time to calm down before adding the scrub. At forst, use it a couple of times/week. Then every other day. Then, you can use it 1x/day. THat is all you'll need.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I used to use St.Ives Apricot Scrub and then I read about how it leaves micro tears in the skin. It is frowned upon on many skin care sites. Might substitute this for a micro fiber cloth. I have one and it works real well. Fawnie highly recommends them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've NEVER read this, until now. I, as well as many other, SWEAR by this stuff. I have used it for years and will continue to do so. This stuff is FLAWLESS, to me.

Before I tried this, I used Neutrogena's exfoliation kit with the micro-crystals cream. It had or has(if they still make it) the sponge head attachments. Those tiny crystals use to get under my skin and cause irritation.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've NEVER read this, until now. I, as well as many other, SWEAR by this stuff. I have used it for years and will continue to do so. This stuff is FLAWLESS, to me.

Before I tried this, I used Neutrogena's exfoliation kit with the micro-crystals cream. It had or has(if they still make it) the sponge head attachments. Those tiny crystals use to get under my skin and cause irritation.
Ummm...ok

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I used to use St.Ives Apricot Scrub and then I read about how it leaves micro tears in the skin. It is frowned upon on many skin care sites. Might substitute this for a micro fiber cloth. I have one and it works real well. Fawnie highly recommends them.
I have been using the St. Ives Apricot Scrub off and on for almost a year now. So does that mean most scrubs arent good for the body then? Because I really like using it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If it's working for you, you can continue to use it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts