Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

At this moment Iâ€2122m on holiday in Cornwall [UK] and have just had breakfast. I was reading a National Newspaper and came upon this article which I really want to share with you.

The headline leapt out at me – “ Many young women today use creams to slow the ageing process. But could they actually be speeding it up?â€

The thrust of the article is that too many young women are already using anti-aging products. According to very recent research, a third of women under the age of 25 are regularly applying products meant for the over-40â€2122s.
Some experts say that not only are these young women wasting their money on things they donâ€2122t need, but horrifyingly, they could actually be damaging their skin permanently.

For a start, creams designed for older skins can be heavy and, when applied to younger ones, cause problems.

These heavier creams can clog the pores and cause itchy red lumps. While this sort of mild infection is temporary and can usually be cleared up with an over-the-counter topical antibiotic, itâ€2122s when young women use creams that have high concentrations of ingredients such as retinoids [derivatives of retinol, a form of vitamin A and AHAâ€2122s [alpha-hydoxy acid compounds like glycolic acid and lactic acid] that the problems really start.
These compounds are included in anti-aging products because they basically break down the top layer of your skin, increasing the rate at which skin renews itself.

In older skin, the benefits of inflicting deliberate damage to the outer layers of the skin outweigh the negatives, as it helps you speed up cell turnover, a process that slows with age, and evens out uneven skin tone.

But with younger skin, which is less resilient, youâ€2122re corrupting the skinâ€2122s natural water-retaining protective function for no-good reason.
Younger skin will react badly to these active ingredients because it much more sensitive. That can result in irritation – redness, itching, flaking and so on.

However, more worrying than simple irritation is the long term damage that could result from uninformed use of retinoids and AHAs. For example, because these compounds damage the outer layer of the skin, they increase skin photosensitivity, leaving the skin far more susceptible to sun damage.

I am continually seeing younger women writing in to the Ski Care Forums asking for advice on the issue of using anti-aging products on their young, delicate skin.

What are the thoughts out there on this recent article?

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've read similar info about young women beginning with the heavy hitting anti-aging stuff too soon. It seems logical that it might be ill advised. I worry about all those teen botox people. Since botox paralyzes certain facial muscles, I wonder if they go slack faster from lack of use. I also wonder about the effect on the surrounding non-paralyzed facial muscles. Do they overcompensate for the frozen ones? What happens if someone uses botox for a few years then stops? Does their face fall like rain?

For young people seeking to prevent aging, cultivating goood lifestyle habits would be preferable to slathering on formulations not designed for their skin's needs. Ceasing to smoke, not overdoing it with the partying, staying out of the sun & using sunblock, getting in shape & remaining in shape, eating well...These steps will benefit them more than any anti-aging products.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I like how the article say's AHA and retinoids "damage" the outer layer of the skin. It also leads the reader with the belief that they are only intended for the over 40 crowd. Bull. Mid 20 and up is a perfect time for these products IMO.
You shouldn't wait till you have heart disease to start eating better. Why wait till the wrinkles have come to town before using proven products????

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
so whats the verdict here? My nephew has been using Retin-A 0.1% for a year and will continue to b/c that diminished his acne. He is 19, should I tell him to stop b/c his skin will be damaged and age quickly?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
so whats the verdict here? My nephew has been using Retin-A 0.1% for a year and will continue to b/c that diminished his acne. He is 19, should I tell him to stop b/c his skin will be damaged and age quickly?
Is he only using it on his acne? Most say that would be too young to use all over the face. I say show me the proof it's too young. Some believe younger than that is fine. There's nothing out there that I'm aware of showing concrete proof of any exact age to start.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
most say that would be too young to use over his face? Those people arent aware that retin-a is hte # 1 prescribed for acne all over the face. Idk lol there is always some counterattack on the things that I thought would benefit everyone.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
That's a bunch of bullcrap. Good anti-aging products do not damage skin, if a cream causes problems, clogs pores etc. then it's a very low quality product in my opinion and should not be used by anyone. Older people may not get problems from such comedogenic products because their skins have a thicker stratum corneum and less active oil glands, and their skin generally is less responsive to topical products, but that doesn't mean that such products are any good for their skin just because their skin doesn't react like a younger skin normally would.
I don't pay attention to what age group my products are marketed, I only care what ingredients are in them. Most products, even moisturizers, that are meant for my age group (20-25) contain alcohol and other drying or irritating things that make skin feel "fresh and toned" and there are very few products with good moisturizing ingredients and antioxidants. Most just contain silicones and glycerin. It depresses me.

As for the acids and retinol skin damage, I think it's only true when it's overdone or these products are used without indication/need.
As for me retinol is the only thing that keeps my skin clear, and I won't stop using it, because Skinceuticals 0.5 Retinol is one of the few products that have made a visible difference on my skin. And there is a warning to use broad-spectrum sunscreen every day as retinol increases sun sensitivity. If somebody doesn't read warnings or chooses to ignore them it doesn't make a product bad, it just makes the user look bad.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
You mean the price? I get it cheaper (40-45$) on strawberrynet.com and it's way less expensive then what I used to buy. I never tried Retin-A.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
How big is the difference?
Skinceuticals was my choice because it didn't irritate my skin and because of the air-less packaging. (I tried a European brand that came in a aluminum tube and it stopped working in 5 weeks, I found out later that retinol becomes inactive if the packaging is wrong)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
How big is the difference?
Skinceuticals was my choice because it didn't irritate my skin and because of the air-less packaging. (I tried a European brand that came in a aluminum tube and it stopped working in 5 weeks, I found out later that retinol becomes inactive if the packaging is wrong)
Never tried the Skinceuticals. Have no fear about the aluminum tubes. This is how most all Tretinoin is sold. A ton of folks here buy from allday.
Really good info. here. Use Retinoids the Right Way

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Thanks a lot!
I just hope they deliver to my obscure part of planet.

I might give Retin-a a try after all when I run out of Skinceuticals. I stayed away from Retin mostly because it's kind a complex, the half-hour wait time and not mixing with anything else or waiting even longer before applying something else... I'm really impatient when it comes down to skincare.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
same here but I decided to stick with the retin-A all these years and my patience paid off, Retin-A is one of those products that work really well over prolonged period after consistent monthly use, dont let it scare you off because I know people who didnt see anything till the 3rd month but after a whole year its like god came down and gave them a new face.

ps its like a gumbo or a really good new england clam chowder, the longer it sits in the fridge the better it taste because hte ingredients have been melting into each other creating a robust flavor.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
192 Posts
redrose i myself think that anti aging products shouldn't b started too early. a 17 yrs old with fine skin trying anti aging makes no sense. i hav seen friends who hardly use anything n believe me they hav enviable skins as compared to those who r always experimenting. the more u touch ur skin the more damage u do to it. however if u suffer from skin probs then there should be prompt action n ignoring these probs is not practical at all.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
redrose i myself think that anti aging products shouldn't b started too early. a 17 yrs old with fine skin trying anti aging makes no sense. i hav seen friends who hardly use anything n believe me they hav enviable skins as compared to those who r always experimenting. the more u touch ur skin the more damage u do to it. however if u suffer from skin probs then there should be prompt action n ignoring these probs is not practical at all.
"The more u touch ur skin the more damage u do to it"..???????
umm...o.k

·
Registered
192 Posts
well thats how i think periwinkle n wat made me think this way are a bunch of my friends, all from diff backgrounds. these gals r almost near forty n one is above forty n they have wonderful skins really soft, wrinkle free. they all look much younger n believe me none of these use any skin care n hardly any make up. i dunno may b they r just lucky. but since they all stay away from experimenting i thought may b that was the key.
then i remember 18-20 yrs old trying collagen producing creams n complaining abt clogged pores. isn't that because their bodies were producing enuf collagen already n didn't need any more. but ofcourse its just a theory based on some observation

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
"The more u touch ur skin the more damage u do to it" umm so I guess Im going to have to use facial applicator brushes to apply my Retin-A and other skin care products and wash my face under the sink with the head tilted under the faucet and carefully to as to not touch my face.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
well thats how i think periwinkle n wat made me think this way are a bunch of my friends, all from diff backgrounds. these gals r almost near forty n one is above forty n they have wonderful skins really soft, wrinkle free. they all look much younger n believe me none of these use any skin care n hardly any make up. i dunno may b they r just lucky. but since they all stay away from experimenting i thought may b that was the key.
then i remember 18-20 yrs old trying collagen producing creams n complaining abt clogged pores. isn't that because their bodies were producing enuf collagen already n didn't need any more. but ofcourse its just a theory based on some observation
Just stick around here and absorb the knowledge of this great site.

·
Registered
192 Posts
"The more u touch ur skin the more damage u do to it" umm so I guess Im going to have to use facial applicator brushes to apply my Retin-A and other skin care products and wash my face under the sink with the head tilted under the faucet and carefully to as to not touch my face.
c'mon now i didn't mean in that sense.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts