Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the order of application of products is so confusing to me. I have just watched several of Dr. Neil Schultz' videos (dermtv) and this is the order he advocates:

AM:
Cleanser
Toner
Sunscreen
Moisturizer

PM:
Cleanser
Toner
Topical chemical exfoliant
Topical antioxidant

In his video entitled "Does Makeup With SPF Really Protect From the Sun (Episode #43), in the comments section, he has a discussion with an administrator of another skincare forum (Joshua Powell), where he defends his position. It is very interesting reading the dialogue between the two.

These are the other videos dealing with the order of application of sunscreen and antioxidants:
In What Order Do You Apply Sunscreen (Episode #74)
Why You Should Apply Sunscreen First (Episode #75)
Most Common Mistake When Applying Sunscreen (Episode #8)
How Antioxidants Protect Your Skin (Episode #49)
5 Easy Steps for Beautiful Skin This Summer (Episode #9) (read the comments on this one as well)

Anyway, I just want to make sure I'm following the right procedures and the opinions seem to be all over the board. His explanations, however, seem to make a lot of sense, especially since all the research done on sunscreens is done with only the sunscreen being applied to clean, dry skin.

If any of you have the time and interest, at least read his dialogue with Joshua Powell on Episode #43. I would be interested to know what you think.

I know most of you feel that the topical antioxidant should be applied in the AM underneath the sunscreen. But according to Dr. Schultz, if the topical antioxidant (Vit. C) is applied in the AM, then the UV rays render it ineffective.

What say ye?

Carolyn

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well the Ascorbic acid solution takes around 60 minutes to absorb, then I apply moisturizing serum, then sunscreen and out I go! I used to apply it at night, but I use Retin-A at nite on bare skin, so switched the C to daytime. As long as it's absorbed and used under sunscreen I don't worry about sunlight deactivating it. But that's just the way I do it. thanks for the informative post!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
15 Posts
serums always go on under the moisturizer and sunscreen always gos on over your moisturizer if you stick to this simple rule you wont go wrong!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts