Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strong desire for pale skin; I'm somewhat tan and it's quite hard to be pale when you live in California, with the addition of it being hot all the time; having to be outdoors a lot during school hours. Any suggestions/ideas?

·
Registered
258 Posts
a very strong sunblock to keep from darkening, i live in houston so i can imagine what ur going through, lol, and you can start with a skin lightening regimine, i use my own hq compound on my body, and 4% hq & retin a on my face. some ppl on here have posted their methods of compounding, good luck!!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I have a strong desire for pale skin; I'm somewhat tan and it's quite hard to be pale when you live in California, with the addition of it being hot all the time; having to be outdoors a lot during school hours. Any suggestions/ideas?
Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen!! I live in CA too. Wear sunscreen and try and stay out of the sun as much as possible. If you must go out in the heat of the day, wear a hat, but lather up on the sunscreen before going out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the thing though; I have eczema; so if I apply sunblock/sunscreen I get rashes and bloody-dry skin (literally bloody). Also, I have to apply Cetaphil lotion, and by that I mean all over my body after a shower in mass amounts to prevent myself from bleeding from being too dry. Being Asian; i have quite the genes accessible to the most intense eczema; and I have been affected. Too bad Cetaphil lotion is only a catalyst to making my skin darker...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in California too, and I'm naturally pale and it seems like many people on this sight are very interested in skin lightening which perplexes me because I was always under the impression that people as a whole wanted to be really tan. :/ I used to get a lot of crap for being white. I'm proud of it though.

I think people should embrace their natural skintone. Every skin tone is beautiful, whether it's pale, tan, or brown.

Well anyway I was just going to tell you what everyone else has previously stated. Use a very good sunscreen. It's better than not wearing one, but you will still get color even if you do use a sunscreen. So stay out of the sun when possible. You can use something to lighten your skin that is safe like lemon or you can google for skin lightening recipes.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Try using Eucerin or Uremol instead of cetaphil for your eczema. Both are very good.

I agree, poison Ivy, that beauty can be found in all skin tones (hair textures & colours etc) BUT I also support a well-balanced psychologically stable adult's right to choose how they want to look whether that is pale, tan or dark, blonde brunette or red etc.

In some cultures, dark women have an extremely rough ride: both from the surrounding culture & within their families. A few tones of colour can change their destiny. This is not an exaggeration. Thank goodness, here in the west, this is not the case to anywhere near this extreme. It is typically people who are within the 'ideal' tone within their culture who advise against lightening & say people should just 'embrace' their colour. Aishwarya Rai in India is a good example. She epitomizes her country's beauty standards. It is easy for her to advocate acceptance since if she accepts her natural tome, her country will fawn over her. The very dark woman who does the same may face ostracism from her family & have great difficulty finding a husband or gainful employment. They get typecast as 'untouchables'. For many people, lightening is more than a cosmetic preference & this needs to be respected too. YES, those culture's 'values' need revamping in a big way BUT these beliefs are thousands of years old & won't go away overnight.

Those of us in The West have the luxury of making it a simple esthetic choice (like a tan for a white person). I am lightening my skin from what was Jermaine Jackson's deep red/brown in Jan to a tanned 'Hispanic-type' golden tone. My red undertone will make me more likely to be rosewood toned but I don't mind that either. I am NOT looking to 'turn white'. The only people looking to 'turn white' are caucasian members who have too many (for their liking) freckles, melasma, hyperpigmentation or sun damage. These members ARE naturally white & pale like you & are seeking to restore what nature gave them. Even if someone here who was brown wanted to turn white, providing they are not mentally unbalanced & they believe it would better flatter their features, then why not -IF they can do it safely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts