Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
The chance of developing cancer from a skin care cream is close to 0%. Your skin does not absorb the ingredients into the blood stream and even if it did, the concentrations of preservatives is extremely small.
Your skin absorbs EVERYTHING you put on it. I have medicine patches that I use and the medicine is just absorbed through the skin, it's quite strong medicine and yes it does find it's way into the bloodstream. There is no difference between medicine and face cream as far as the skin is concerned whatever goes on the skin is absorbed into the body.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think that's a misnomer since there aren't any toxic skin care products on the market, aside from some possible crap coming from China. It is, as other have mentioned, a good idea to avoid certain chemicals, but like I said earlier, anything in great quantities is bad for you.
I don't know how it is in Canada, but since standards and regulations on skin care products have gone unchanged in the U.S. since the 1930's, and the FDA doesn't govern over the industry then I guess your right.

Plus that doesn't mean that the small amount of the chemicals in the products aren't toxic for you, especially over periods of use, or that the same chemicals are in several of the products. Even if you switch to a new brand, the same chemicals are most likely present.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I switched now to paraben free skincare and I'm really happy. Of course, I'll have some parabens from my shampoo and shower gel, but at least I'll put paraben free texture on my skin to sink in. It's expensive and expiry date in 6 months from opening, but it's worth it.
Don't believe all the skincare that says 'organic' is 100% organic. Not everyone tells the truth. Usually some of them use few active ingredients from organic plants, but that's it, and anything else - parabens and other chemical ingredients.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Mutti!
Actually it's the effects of the use of skin care products over a period of time as well as the use any other products or foods that contain chemicals, additives etc. that a person is exposed to. A good book to read is Not Just a Pretty Face: The Ugly Side of the Beauty Industry by Stacy Malkan. It gives the lowdown on what these large cosmetic companies are really up to as they are the ones that regulate themselves. As for natural vs. organic lines it's best to contact the company directly to find out what their ingredients and processes are and how long of a shelf life the products have. You would do well in choosing a company that is a signer of the Safe Cosmetics agreement. Do your research, ask questions and you'll be able to make an informative decision. I just recently threw out all my makeup because I went to the cosmeticsdatabse site to check their ratings. Pretty eye opening stuff. Just on a reputable paraben free skin care line for now and slowly building up my makeup collection again. Let us know how your search goes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think that's a misnomer since there aren't any toxic skin care products on the market, aside from some possible crap coming from China. It is, as other have mentioned, a good idea to avoid certain chemicals, but like I said earlier, anything in great quantities is bad for you.
when you are putting cleanser, moisturizer, toner, exfoliator, masks, lotions, etc on your skin everyday, 1-2 times a day for years and years and these products have parabens as well as other chemicals and toxins in it that are not natural substances that our bodies are capable of breaking down and utilizing and these toxins are changing hormonal functions and clogging up our lymphatic systems and are not disposed of properly, then yes that is consuming a toxin in great quantity and yes it is dangerous for you.

when you think about it, a cleanser full of chemicals is applied twice a day for say 30 years on a person. that is hundreds of thousands of times that person has put those toxins in skin which DOES get into your blood stream and other organ systems.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
when you are putting cleanser, moisturizer, toner, exfoliator, masks, lotions, etc on your skin everyday, 1-2 times a day for years and years and these products have parabens as well as other chemicals and toxins in it that are not natural substances that our bodies are capable of breaking down and utilizing and these toxins are changing hormonal functions and clogging up our lymphatic systems and are not disposed of properly, then yes that is consuming a toxin in great quantity and yes it is dangerous for you.

when you think about it, a cleanser full of chemicals is applied twice a day for say 30 years on a person. that is hundreds of thousands of times that person has put those toxins in skin which DOES get into your blood stream and other organ systems.
Well, if we want to get technical...365 X 2 X 30 = 21,900...hardly the hundreds of thousands of times you claim. The skin is designed to be a barrier against outside elements, while its not impeneratable, it is resistant. You'll have a lot more damage from things that actually go into your body, such as crap junk food, soft drinks, air pollution, and industrial fallout. Unless you live in some sort of bubble where you're completely sterile, I wouldn't worry about this.

Besides, what do you supposed we resort to? Some sort of organic products at go bad before its even on the store shelves. The same products that will harbor bacteria that can cause some serious infection...

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are some organic products that have longer shelf lives.
I just got my current set of cleanser, toner, serum and moisturizer the first week in November and it doesn't expire until January 2010.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
What's the main component of the products? Tea tree, seaweed, or whatever? Whatever it is, I doubt whatever fruit or vegetable, plant or otherwise its based on would last that long naturally, meaning that there are preservatives in your products.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mangosteen, which contains xanthones.
Xanthones are chemical compounds that occur naturally in various organic materials. Xanthones are double bonded, heat stable molecules. Unlike proteins, they won't lose their structure when heated.

Here is the full ingredient list from my cleanser, I have bolded the preservatives (which are low on the list):

water (mangosteen infused water), decyl glucoside(coconut/palm kernel oil), lauryl glucoside (coconut/palm kernel oil), glycerin (palm), coco-betaine (coconut/palm kernel oil), mangosteen pericarp oil (BioActive pericarp oil), lactobacillus/mangosteen pericarp ferment filtrate (BioActive polymeric and acidic complex), garcinia mangostana pericarp powder (mangosteen), sodium coco-glucoside tartrate (coconut/beet/grape), gluconolactone (corn), xanthan gum (kelp), glyceryl oleate (coconut/palm/sunflower), coco-glucoside (coconut/palm/sunflower), sodium stearoyl lactylate (corn), butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe), sodium hyaluronate, chondrus crispus (carrageenan), chondrus crispus (carrageenan) extract, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, cymbopogon schoenanthus oil (lemongrass), citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus grandis (grapefruit) peel oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel oil, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, canarium luzonicum gum nonvolatiles (elemi), aniba rosaeodora (rosewood) wood oil, glucose, algae extract (microalgae), vetiveria zizanoides root oil (vetiver), pelargonium graveolens flower oil (geranium), ocimum basilicum (basil) oil, cananga odorata flower oil (ylang ylang), barosma betulina leaf oil (bucchu), abies balsamea (balsam canada) needle oil. sodium phytate (rice), sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, chlorphenesin, cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, citric acid (corn), arginine (corn/sugar cane).

If you want I will post the ingredients from my toner, serum and moisturizer too, but my eyes hurt from reading the small print on the cleanser tube.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, if we want to get technical...365 X 2 X 30 = 21,900...hardly the hundreds of thousands of times you claim. The skin is designed to be a barrier against outside elements, while its not impeneratable, it is resistant. You'll have a lot more damage from things that actually go into your body, such as crap junk food, soft drinks, air pollution, and industrial fallout. Unless you live in some sort of bubble where you're completely sterile, I wouldn't worry about this.

Besides, what do you supposed we resort to? Some sort of organic products at go bad before its even on the store shelves. The same products that will harbor bacteria that can cause some serious infection...
oh I am sorry, 21,900 is such a minute number!!!! Yes what we consume via food air and water is even more determental but the products we use is adding to our toxin consumption, adding to the alarming rates of cancer and a whole long list of degenerative illnesses that are so commonplace today that were rare and almost unheard of even just a few generations ago. And organic products can last a lot longer than you think using natural plant derived preservatives, not chemical ones.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by

Phthalates and parabens....act like hormones in the body. These toxins are also called pseudo estrogins. Women are entering puberty at ever younger ages. Many years later, now that we know about these toxins, does this start to make sense. There are links between precocious puberty and links to serious diseases The infertility rate has climbed over decades. 1 in 6 couples confront problems when trying to conceive a child. Sperm counts have been falling at 1 percent per year since the 80s. There are hundreds of dangerous chemicals. At least a dozen where danger is not refutable. Placing the health of people for making more money will soon be a bad business model for companies that go in that direction. It is GREAT news for companies......who are making toxin free cosmetics and skin care.

- J. Frederic Templeman, M.D.
Canadian & US Board certified

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm using natural products called ole henrisksen and find them wonderful. I've used everything from aveeno to lise watier and nothing beats these natural products. The reason I switched was due to parabens,chemicals,perfumes that was breaking out my face. These products have green tea and vitamin c in them along with many more that protect your skin from aggressors in the environment that cause radical damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All of this I found from glimpse:

PARABENS
Widely used in:
•Cosmetics •Shampoo •Body Lotion
•Facial Skin Care • Underarm deodorants
•Toothpaste
Research Indicates:
Breast Cancer Link

Discovered in cancerous Breast Tumors
In a recent study where samples of breast tumors were
randomly selected from 20 women, parabens were found in
all but 2.
Currently under investigation by the EU to be outlawed in
European products.
*Darbre PD, Aljarrah A, Miller WR, Coldham NG, Sauer MJ, Pope GS. Concentrations of parabens in human
breast tumours. J Appl Toxicol. 2004 Jan-Feb;24(1):5-13. Darbre PD, Aljarrah A, Miller WR, Coldham NG, Sauer
MJ, Pope GS. Concentrations of parabens in human breast tumours. J Appl Toxicol. 2004 Jan-Feb;24(1):5-13.

I sure hope this has helped you!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts