Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been having a read of some of the topics on here and found some quite useful. Anyway I thought I would ask for some help as, in everyones situation, their case of acne is very unique to them.

I have been suffering from acne for quite a while, it all started at the age of about 13 and I'm 18 now and still suffer. As most acne suffers have, I've tried many different methods of fighting my acne but most I've had no luck with.

I started off by using some products from Clearasil but when I was about 15/16 years old, my acne got really bad so I decided to go to the doctors. My doctor subscribed me to some tablets, 2 tablets twice a day. They were called Oxytetracycline (250mg) and I was given some Retin-A gel along with those. I followed the doctors advice and took the tablets and applied the cream but saw no real change after about a month (apart from my skins pealing and becoming very irratating). I then stuffed the tablets away then after about 3 months, decided to give them another try and stick at it (which I did) without using the cream (as I guessed that was irritating my skin a lot). In conjunction with the tablets I washed my face twice per day with a sensitive face cleansing wash from Clearasil.

When the tablets ran out I went to my docs and he prescribed me with a repeat perscription for the tablets and I'm still doing the same thing to this day - taking my tablets, 2 twice a day and washing my face with clearasil twice a day.

The tablets do help, I must admit, but for how long I've been taking them, I havn't seen good results. My problem is, I still get whiteheads a lot. It is very embarrasing, I've just left education and started a new job and I get breakouts of whiteheads while at work during the day, usually go in in the morning with some and it's really knocking my confidence. I'm thinking about going back to the docs and seeing if they have any other suggestions as to any other ways I could help fight my acne more effectively. For now though I'm hoping someone on here will be able to advise me on any information they may have.

Thank you for reading

Regards,
Josh

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi Josh and welcome to the site! well I can sympathize- I used to get cystic acnee, I'm wondering if maybe what helped me might help you. I use at home dermabrassion- works like a charm I might get one simple pimple a year, I get the Avon dermabrassion it's a tube of cream about 20$ last approx 3 months or longer. I do it once or twice a week- depending. You might want to ask an Avon rep for a few samples (which they do have access to). that way you can try it for free and see if that works for ya, but remember if you start that then you need to use a good and high spf, like I do- I use an spf 60. Good luck , I hope this works for you!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
For whiteheads, I would suggest that you use the salicylic acid 5% liquid from skincarecentral.biz, it has the right pH and will decongest ur pores and breakdown ur whiteheads in about 2 to 3 weeks. It works. Also, I suggest you get off the antibiotics, taking them for years, regularly, is not healthy for your body because it is killing the GOOD bacteria along with the bad ones and antibiotics dont work after a while anyways. Keep using the Retin-A gel, 30 minutes after shower, and if u really cant tolerate the Retin-A then use Differin. I started off with Retin-A too and I got frustrated as well but after about a year you'll see dramatic changes/improvements to your skin, it takes a while to work. Meanwhile use the salicylic acid 5% liquid and then let it dry, after its dry apply the Obagi Clenziderm Benzoyl Peroxide Gel on the individual acne, it has a micronized technology to reach the pimples deep within. You will experience dryness and you can relieve that with any oil-free moisturizer. Exfoliate with a scrub such as Nivea for Men Energizing Face Scrub - 2 to 3x per week and get a facial every month at the local spa.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts