Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YOU MAY WANT TO READ THIS POST WHEN YOU HAVE TIME SO YOU DON'T MISS SOMETHING.

I'm so excited about this. After trying numerous mixes, I've found one that, comfortably, sinks into my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the PG (propylene glycol) from makingcosmetics.com. They claim to not upcharge for shipping, but I wonder... I will check a few more places to try and find a better deal for 1 gallon.

Last night, after showering with my exfoliating soap, I applied this mix and kept myself away from thinking it's going to be another wet(wet at night, moisturized in the morning) or oily(oily at night, DRY in the morning) concouction and I was right! Within a few minutes, it soaked right in!

When I woke up, my skin was red. That's a sign for when I'm beginning to lighten. I'm not going speculate and say I lightened overnight, however I made a 25% mixture. Alas, I will not make an overnight speculation.

As to not waste the PG, I made a small mix(1oz) and checked to make sure it did not turn brown while melting. It didn't turn colors, so I made another 1oz. When heated at the proper temperature (170 degrees minimum) the HQ melts fast.

What I do:
1.Find a pan that won't be used for cooking to boil some water in.
2.Fill a beaker with 30ml of PG and place into pan of boiling water.
3.Use meat thermometer to check when the PG is at 170degrees(minimum).
4.Put 2 teaspoons of HQ in the beaker of PG and stir and stir.. until the HQ has melted.
5.Pour the mixture into a pump bottle.
6.Let it cool.
7.Shower.
8.Apply.

I used 60ml of PG and 20ml of HQ(1 teaspoon is, roughly, 5ml) = 25%

I don't recommend you making yours so strong.

I used it again and it's still fresh!

----------------------------------------
An interesting read:

Features:

Propylene Glycol is the most common moisture carrying ingredient, other than water, used in cosmetics because it moisturizes better than glycerin. Is used as a wetting agent and surfactant which gives a product better absorption and promotes spreading of the product on the skin. Propylene Glycol is an emollient. Not to be confused with Ethyl Glycol which is used in anti-freeze and other chemical based products. It can penetrate the outermost layer of the skin cells and carry other beneficial products deeper into the epidermis. According to the AMA's committee on Cutaneous Health emollients do help make the skin feel softer and smoother, reduce roughness, cracking and irritation. And may possibly retard the fine wrinkles of aging.

Taken from this site:

Propylene Glycol USP - Propylene Glycol - Bulk - Wholesale

My PG is not yellow, therefore I will not be ordering that one. It seems to be widely used for a number of purposes, including for cattle.

If you plan on trying this, stick to trying a small sample of PG from makingcosmetics.com and see if you like it. This is my mix(I'm going to make a bigger batch.), good luck to you finding yours.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
How exciting! Good for you, Goddess! I'll be ordering some of that PG for myself TODAY. It seems like a nice compromise between the stickiness of glycerine & the wet/dry effect of other options. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I don't think I'll go as high as 25% but I'll definitely gice 20% a go. The more I tinker with HQ, the more I think that >10% will be necessary (in home brews) to effectively lighten (not just brighten & even) decidedly brown (dark Fitz IV-Fitz VI) skin. How often wiull you be applying yr mixture/day? How long do you intend to test this concentration for? I'm so eager for your updates. You've done it before & you'll do it again but this time, it'll be your own home blend. Much more economical & gives you complete control of the process. YOU know exactly what you put into yr product instread of having to take some manufacturer at their word.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

I'm so excited about this. After trying numerous mixes, I've found one that, comfortably, sinks into my skin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the PG (propylene glycol) from makingcosmetics.com. They claim to not upcharge for shipping, but I wonder... I will check a few more places to try and find a better deal for 1 gallon.

Last night, after showering with my exfoliating soap, I applied this mix and kept myself away from thinking it's going to be another wet(wet at night, moisturized in the morning) or oily(oily at night, DRY in the morning) concouction and I was right! Within a few minutes, it soaked right in!

When I woke up, my skin was red. That's a sign for when I'm beginning to lighten. I'm not going speculate and say I lightened overnight, however I made a 25% mixture. Alas, I will not make an overnight speculation.

As to not waste the PG, I made a small mix(1oz) and checked to make sure it did not turn brown while melting. It didn't turn colors, so I made another 1oz. When heated at the proper temperature (170 degrees minimum) the HQ melts fast.

What I do:
4.Put 2 teaspoons of HQ in the beaker of PG and stir and stir.. until the HQ has melted.
6.Let it cool.
7.Shower.
8.Apply.

An interesting read:

Features:

Propylene Glycol is the most common moisture carrying ingredient, other than water, used in cosmetics because it moisturizes better than glycerin. Is used as a wetting agent and surfactant which gives a product better absorption and promotes spreading of the product on the skin. Propylene Glycol is an emollient. Not to be confused with Ethyl Glycol which is used in anti-freeze and other chemical based products. It can penetrate the outermost layer of the skin cells and carry other beneficial products deeper into the epidermis. According to the AMA's committee on Cutaneous Health emollients do help make the skin feel softer and smoother, reduce roughness, cracking and irritation. And may possibly retard the fine wrinkles of aging.

Taken from this site:

My PG is not yellow, therefore I will not be ordering that one. It seems to be widely used for a number of purposes, including for cattle.

If you plan on trying this, stick to trying a small sample of PG from makingcosmetics.com and see if you like it. This is my mix(I'm going to make a bigger batch.), good luck to you finding yours.
Wow Thanks Goddess.. do you suggest getting measuring cups that you wont use for other things? as well as stirrers and the pot?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
With compounding, you absolutely need tools you will use only for this purpose. Many items can be gotten cheaply at dollar stores & you can definitely pick up a pot & a dbl boiler at a Salvation Army. Many people's 'pride' keeps them from checking out these options but I always do. Why waste $$$?

·
Registered
35 Posts
With compounding, you absolutely need tools you will use only for this purpose. Many items can be gotten cheaply at dollar stores & you can definitely pick up a pot & a dbl boiler at a Salvation Army. Many people's 'pride' keeps them from checking out these options but I always do. Why waste $$$?
Very true!!! I found a set of 6 glass swizzle sticks to mix with for a buck at goodwill! I found a set of 12 shot glasses at the salvation army for 3 bucks!
I found 2 pipette brushes for .50, and I just put a order in the day before, for one brush and it cost me $7.00!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
These discount places are the smart compounder's friend. Esp in the early stages where we're more likely to screw it all up & ruin stuff !

·
Registered
208 Posts
That is such great news Goddess,

As an aside, have you thought about using the cream maker or gel maker products from making cosmetics. It seems to cut down the steps of formally trying to emulsify the products in a base. I have found that it is also important to have 2 distinct mixtures, 1 mixture of the base ingredients, 1 mixture of the soluble active ingredients, both cooled to the appropriate temperatures, then combined into what truly constitutes a compound.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ya'll! It's so nice to be bandwagon free!

Oh no! No more base creams or other things, etc! This stuff sinks right into my skin. Serums are stronger, anyhow. I may tone it down a bit, though. It is, quite, potent.

Just checked it and it's still the same color! I must order more PG, as I wanted to try a smaller amount before getting a gallon(like I did the DPG). I'm going to do a few searches, but I might just end up order more from the same place. I'm unsure if I'll get a gallon from makingcosmetics or not. <<< That is the tried and proved PG.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm starting out at once a day. I want to start peeling.

I will test it till I see some lightening. Actually, it depends on how hooked I get! If the lightening happens fast, I may tone it down.

I think, once I start peeling, I will tone down the percent.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AGH! I DESPISE overpriced shipping. I'm going to contact them. They respond to emails fast. I'll check for a phone number, too. I wasn't going to order the full gallon from there, but the shipping should not be more than the product.

·
Registered
258 Posts
wow goddess i cant beleive your pg doesnt turn brown when melting the hq, mine always turn brown, i wonder what im doing wrong!!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Have you seen any signs of lightening yet? I know it is early on, but I'm dying to know how this works for you.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

What I do:
6.Let it cool.
7.Shower.
8.Apply.

An interesting read:

Features:

Taken from this site:

HI Goddess, does the PG have a weird smell? i was thinking of using it @ night along with my HQ 4%.. or id the 4% too low to tell a difference? i knew you were using 25%

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I do:
6.Let it cool.
7.Shower.
8.Apply.

[/B]
If I want 100 ml of 10% hq would I use 100ml of DG or DPG and 2 1/2 tsp of hq? if not please correct me

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh my! When I look at my formulation there, it looks like 33 1/3% HQ!! I don't remember how I calculated that. I'll figure it out if/when I start back mixing.

Even when I mixed mine, I added a little more HQ which I DON'T recommend.

I would say use Nina Skyy's equation... 100ml PG + 10ml HQ(2 teaspoons) = 10%

Though, she used DPG which I don't care for.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Oh my! When I look at my formulation there, it looks like 33 1/3% HQ!! I don't remember how I calculated that. I'll figure it out if/when I start back mixing.

Even when I mixed mine, I added a little more HQ which I DON'T recommend.

I would say use Nina Skyy's equation... 100ml PG + 10ml HQ(2 teaspoons) = 10%

Though, she used DPG which I don't care for.
Goddess can you post before and after pics of celebrities to see where you started and where you are ..or were before you darkened.. and how long that took to get there?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL! I'd have to give you a whole book, as I've used so many things. 1 which was SUPER EXPENSIVE and %^*&^ up my skin!!!!! As for celebrities hmm.. not sure.. I get so sick of all that celebrity comparison stuff. I went from a chocolate color with reddish undertones to Alicia Keys color. My avatar, which is me, I'm a high yellow color.

As of now, I'm brown, again.

This time, I plan on staying with HQ. As, I KNOW, I will achieve my high yellow color and maintain it with maintenance a few times a week.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
LOL! I'd have to give you a whole book, as I've used so many things. 1 which was SUPER EXPENSIVE and %^*&^ up my skin!!!!! As for celebrities hmm.. not sure.. I get so sick of all that celebrity comparison stuff. I went from a chocolate color with reddish undertones to Alicia Keys color. My avatar, which is me, I'm a high yellow color.

This time, I plan on staying with HQ. As, I KNOW, I will achieve my high yellow color and maintain it with maintenance a few times a week.
And how long have you been lightening ?

Thats impressive ! congrats

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

lol do you keep a lil scrap book ! ug.. i dont think its necessary for really exprensive products for lightening... the most expensive thing I will try in my regimen is the F&F suntal removal or the tonique 10x ! thats it.. and thats when I stop using hq after 4 months to maintain.. and the resume hq again not sure how long after tho

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been dabbling in the lightening 'procedures' since 2006. When I lightened extremely light, it took a couple of months(that stuff broke me out like crazy!!!!!). I'm not mentioning what got me so light as some people get desparate and will use whatever even when warned(Like I think someone who was here did after they asked me then disappeared). It hasn't been mentioned lately so I won't bring it back up. NOT EVEN IN A PM.

For some reason, I get bored with it and stop. This time, I will keep it up and stick to HQ.

Also, I think, like, FOREVER..... I was the only one who didn't order from ADC (All Day Chemist . com). However, I have been wanting to try the RA(Retin A) and see what all the hype is about so I am awaiting an order from them. As well as, I'm trying their HQ as I hear Lustra(4%) is good but expensive and ADC has HQ 4% for $2.

I'll see how all goes before I get back into mixing. I know I was trying to stay off of bandwagons, but atleast I'm not on the billions of bandwagons I was on before.

So, for now: ADC bandwagon....

Also, I have my Nadinola/Carotein Cream..... HQ mixing..... for alternatives. I don't see myself straying further than that unless those guys who discoved that skin complexion altering gene decide to market it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts