Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a product called Placenta Soap. It claims to have active "skin whitening" properties. I am of African descent and currently trying to lighten hyperpigmentation on my chin area from acne
. Has anyone had any experience with this type of soap? I am currently using Papaya Soap, which is a great exfoliator, hydroquinone 4% and spf 30 sunblock. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Sorry, but I've never even heard of this one. What kind of placenta is in it? Could you please post a link to it? Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chino, can't find anything on Placenta soap at the moment. What I do know is soap does not lighten your complextion. Its on your skin for a brief moment and can't possibly have a lightening after effect unless its soap that doesn't wash off!. Have you tried Retin A? There are good posts here on how to use it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't know. The product looks suited for skin types as of the female on the page. May be it could exfoliate a Fitzapatrick skin type IV. Product source is Philippines. I'm not sure these work well on skin types as above, just noting.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I wouldn't buy it simply because of the coercive ad equating 'white' with 'young'. Many white skinned people look aged & haggard & many brown-skinned people do not. The girl in the ad will never 'be white' even if she gargles with thsat soap. This type of misleading 'ad copy' is precisely what tips me off that a product is a scam. There is also the subtle implication that colour in skin is 'dirt' ir an impurity. It is not. Lightening as a preference is one thing. feeling compelled to because you feel dirty & impure is problematic. This ad subtly exploits this insecurity.

"Renew Placenta Classic has a superb whitening formulation with double-acting anti-aging properties. Concocted with active natural botanicals that keeps the skin younger and naturally light. It also contains effective anti-irritant boosters and full spectrum sun protection. It exfoliates, rejuvenates, minimizes fine lines and prevents skin discoloration. It has no harmful chemicals and is ideal for everyday use."

Read the parts I italicized. think about it: how can it claim to whiten when it keeps you naturally white? You'd have to be white already! The spokesmodel in their ad was decidedly tan. What the heck does 'double-acting' business mean? What is an 'anti-irritant booster' anyways?

Thank so much for posting this link. It is a prime example of the misleadning & coercive ads I warn people to watch out for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts