Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.

I'm female, early 20s with pale sensitive/allergic skin. I have mild rosacea that is usually well controlled although it sometimes flares in response to stress and heat.

I'm feeling pretty distressed at the moment because for the past week or so my face has been very red and burning like crazy. I think I am reacting to something but not 100% sure what. I have used my moisturiser (Avene) and shampoo (E45) for years now so I don't think they are the problem.

I recently started using raw honey as a facial mask. I didn't realise that honey (apparently) is high in salicylic acid, which can burn sensitive skin. I last used the mask on Wednesday. It's now sunday and still i can find no relief from the burning and redness. I'm really concerned! The last time I had a reaction like this was about 3 years ago when I used an aspirin mask (also salicylic acid) and was red and burning for days.

Please help. I'm not sure what to do for relief and there are no doctors appointments available
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Ok this is going to sound a bit mad but you could try dabbing a small area that is buring with a little toothpaste and see if that helps.

Toothpaste is highly alkaline and shouldn't hurt your skin(test a patch) but check yours hasn't got salycilic acid in it Hopefully it doesn't if you're able to use it everyday.

May be worth a try till you can see a doc, Anyone else think of some everyday alkalines? My mind is a blank. I guess baking soda in a weak dilution? Have you ever used it before for anything?

Although I guess there may be another cause for the reaction?
Have you ever had a serious alergic reaction to anything?
Doesn't sound like this is but do you have an healthline to call or emergency room to go to if you need advice/help?

Sorry I can't help more not a skin expert :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
you may be able to neutralize with a paste of water and some baking soda. anything you try, you should first patch test, as lizzy mentioned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Def. take it off and don't use it again, if it is determined that caused it! When my skin was really sensitive for Ra use, the ONLY thing I could use on it was Cerave Pm.

Try it out, it may work for you as well. It calmed my redness and didn't burn like everything else, so that was a huge plus. It is readily available as well. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have no plans for the next couple of days so I'm going to stop using anything on my face or hair except water and my Avene moisturiser, and give my skin a chance to calm down. If it doesn't, I'll see if I can make an appointment with the GP. I really don't think my skin could handle toothpaste, and I don't want to put too many foreign things on it right now...

Not sure if the alkaline thing would work to neutralise the acid, because I doubt the acid is still there. I believe its action is to free the top layer of skin cells so they flake off, so I guess my skin barrier is pretty compromised right now. No wonder it's burning.

tmeyer66, honey is pretty high in salicylates, and it's on the 'avoid list' for people with a sensitivity to salicylates in foods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have no plans for the next couple of days so I'm going to stop using anything on my face or hair except water and my Avene moisturiser, and give my skin a chance to calm down. If it doesn't, I'll see if I can make an appointment with the GP. I really don't think my skin could handle toothpaste, and I don't want to put too many foreign things on it right now...

Not sure if the alkaline thing would work to neutralise the acid, because I doubt the acid is still there.
you're right neuralizing will only work if there's a sustance there to neutralise. I think I didn't read your post right, sorry - If its an inflammatory response (after the fact) sometimes antihistamine works.
Hope it gets better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,044 Posts
Sorry I can't help more not a skin expert :-(
Don't feel bad. Skin care experts are not trained in medical diagnosis and treatment - which is what so many people seem to be looking for.

What's with this? All these people are coming to this "skin care" forum looking for medical advice? That is scary and dangerous. Why is there even a section called "Other Skin Conditions"? on this site - it sort of invites trouble, in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Ok So i know its 2018 and this posting its old. Just wanna help other girls out there with this situation. Just applied raw honey on my face without even testing it first. My face started burning as soon as i put the honey on. Omg! i took it off not even 5mi after and i got the worst allergy reaction ever! i just took some benadryl .? I didnt touch it or applied creams for the swelling. The only thing that really helped me was benadryl. Lesson well learned. Honey is a no no for me.
 

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top