Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Three years ago, I caught a very bad skin infection on my legs which went away but has left these dark patches. I have been using everything to fade them but nothing is working. I just bought a Likas soap bar and I am using it now, but its too early to see any results. I am also using Mederma.

Can anyone else give me suggestions on what to use? I was considering using skill whitening pills, but lucky I took the advice from members here that it is all a scam. It is difficult for me as they are not exactly "spots" but blotches.

The rest of my body is clear, so this is rather heart breaking for me as I cannot wear shorts or skirts.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Have you seen a dermatologist for the scars? These might not be 'typical' normal melanin & might not respond to HQ, Retin A etc. Getting a medical opinion first will save you a lot of wasted money on products which might disappoint or make matters worse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have been to a dermatologist, but they really didn't provide much help. I am still wondering why the marks haven't disappeared like those on the rest of my body. The skin infection affected all over, but only those under my knee left a mark.

I have a feeling I might have to accept that they may be a part of me for the rest of my life

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would think some gradual exfoliation would give the skin a more even shade. In addition to the soap, consider a body lotion with a higher concentration of glycolic acid, such as AmLactin 12% (available over the counter in the US at drugstores, Walmart, etc.) or Lac-Hydrin 12%. The first or 2nd ingredient should be lactic acid. Apply the lotion twice a day to exfoliate and get the cells from the darker places gone so they match the other area. It won't happen overnight though - you're looking at probably a month or so before you notice any difference if it helps at all. This area of the body doesn't generally get exfoliated the same way other areas do (clothes rubbing, showering, etc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think some gradual exfoliation would give the skin a more even shade. In addition to the soap, consider a body lotion with a higher concentration of glycolic acid, such as AmLactin 12% (available over the counter in the US at drugstores, Walmart, etc.) or Lac-Hydrin 12%. The first or 2nd ingredient should be lactic acid. Apply the lotion twice a day to exfoliate and get the cells from the darker places gone so they match the other area. It won't happen overnight though - you're looking at probably a month or so before you notice any difference if it helps at all. This area of the body doesn't generally get exfoliated the same way other areas do (clothes rubbing, showering, etc).
Wow thank you so much! I have been using the Likas soap for about 3 days and I see some lightening already. But I will try those exfoliating lotions! I am happy they are over the counter too. Thanks so much

·
Registered
108 Posts
You may not see results quickly with an AHA lotion, as it takes some time for your skin to rejuvenate new cells there, but if you can get the old cells sloughed off (without irritating the skin overall), you will have smoother skin overall, and hopefully all the same tone. I have seen skin similar to yours on people with a dark complexion who've had eczema. On light complexions, it tends to be white or very light spots. Regular exfoliation will hopefully help by bringing out the newest skin. Good luck and do please post your progress as it goes if you can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts