Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all, this is my first post and i would like to forward my thanks to everyone that contributes.

Basically iv been having this skin problem(?) for about 2 years now. My skin around my neck has a sorta weird "plucked chicken" look - u know the bumpy, weird sort. They dont hurt or anything, but just annoying and a pain to look at in the mirror every morning haha.

Iv attached a picture to show u what i mean fully.

Also, iv got really quite bad acne on my arms, not big spots, just little annoying ones that stand out and make my arms look horrible.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of either problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ash

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey sweetie, i cant tell myuch from tis pic, but its its the acne, have u tried birth control pills like ortho tri cyclen? it really helps clear up your skin. It worked wonders for my acne..
good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I believe you have is a condition plainly called "Chicken Skin" I have it as well. It is a very common thing. What it is exactly is the opposite of pimples. Your pores are very dry and basically cave in, giving you the bumpy effect. Common areas to have this are on the jaw line, neck backs of arms and thighs. Good news, there is an inexpensive and effective lotion available over counter at Walgreens called Carmol. If you have trouble finding it, ask the pharmacist to point you in the right direction. You may find that heat helps to subside the sypmtoms, hence, when you first wake up they are not as noticable. The same after warm showers. The lotion works very well. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have suffered from "chicken skin" for pretty much all of my life. Nothing ever seemed to work, I did find something that worked it has a 60 day money back guarantee.
Its from the Doctors that created Proactiv, the Victoria Secrets models use them before photo shoots too. It is the Unblemish body regimen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have "chicken skin" too... I am currently using La roche-posay surgras soap free body wash and Amlactin lotion (spelling?) for the backs of my arms and thighs- I have seen a slight difference, but nothing worth wild...

Please give me some suggestions too if you have any that help
Thanks!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi! "Chicken Skin" aka K.P. is a genetic problem. I have had it all my life and found that exfoliating the areas with a loofah followed by a Lactic Acid lotion (AmLactin and Lac-Hydrin are good ones) helps. You never "cure" it or get rid of it, you just have to keep up the exfoliating routine faithfully.

There is a product out there called "K.P. Duty" you could try too if you don't like the smell of AmLactin or Lac-Hydrin. Good luck fellow Chicken Skinner!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think i see this a lot on ppl, but I always thought it was normal or from shaving,
doesn't look weird or anything..
just thought thats what happens to under chin skin a lot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
I was thrilled to see this condition mentioned on this forum. I have this problem exactly as it is pictured in Ash's post.
It was originally diagnosed as Poikiloderma of Civatte and I have settled on this diagnosis, however, I do NOT have the classic rust colored patches on the sides of the neck that is typical of poikiloderma. I have some redness, flushing, sun spots and cherry angiomas which I contribute to early life sun exposure (in my twenties) and I am 41 now which is why I think I was diagnosed with this. I don't have the persistent redness, however, that is typical of poikiloderma and when I'm not flushed the skin on my neck appears somewhat pale. My major problem is the texture and I have been told time and again there is nothing you can do for that. I think I may have been wrongly diagnosed or I might have a combination of poikiloderma and this "chicken skin" condition which might provide me some hope since I swear when I look at those little bumps (which cover my entire neck and upper chest) they almost look like they could be exfoliated off. I have tried numerous treatments (one microderm, three vibraderms and topical at home treatments) with only temporary results. The best results were obtained from the vibraderm and I'll be darned if those little bumps didn't look like they were slowly starting to slough off. I was considering a full IPL treatment but was told it would do nothing for the texture. I am getting a prescription for a Retin A cream from a plastic surgery office. The aesthetician there also did some spot treatment w/ IPL to get rid of the angiomas and dark sun spots.
Anyway, I have been trying to find some type of treatment option that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg (already spent enough) and help me with this condition that is most embarrasing and VERY stubborn!
Any advice or input would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone had success treating this "chicken skin" condition with Retin A or Active FX plus Deep FX treatments.

Any advice on what works would be appreciated

·
Registered
46 Posts
OMG! The bane of my existence exposed! I have little red bumps around my collar line and pale dots running up my neck. Yes it looks like chicken skin. I am a girl not a guy so its not from shaving. And I don't have it anywhere else. In the summer when I am hot, the red dots turn crimson and itch like hell. I went to a derm and she said I was heat sensitive and to try to stay cool....if it were only that easy. Its winter now, and the bumps are still there. Actually, I've only paid attention to the condition this last summer since it was the second summer it happened to me. SO..I began using retin A on it about a month ago. Right now, I am at the purge stage. My neck has exploded in little pimples everywhere. I am actually happy because I want whatever's under the skin to come out and be gone already. Hopefully it will clear up soon.

And arm acne, upper arm acne. Somehow I got that last year too. (I have never had acne in MY LIFE!) So I was pretty upset. Anyway, I used Retin A on that too (three months approximately) and continue to because I don't want the acne to come back. The acne is gone and the skin is smooth again but now I have some acne scars which I am trying to get rid of.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would just like to update on my chicken skin on my neck, its 80 percent gone after using retin a on it. The consequent acne purge cleared up and my skin is smooth again. So, Ash I think you should give retin A a shot!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Has anyone had success treating this "chicken skin" condition with Retin A or Active FX plus Deep FX treatments.

Any advice on what works would be appreciated
Yes, Retin-A can help Keratosis Pilaris too by its exfoliating effect. Glad it helped you Cleo!! Yay!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cleo,

If you don't mind, how long did it take on the Retin-A for your neck to clear to 80%, and what strength did you work up to. Did you stay at .05 or use the retin-a Micro .1 I have been using Retrieve .05 (which is more moisturising than the Retin-A brand) for about 4-5 months. I think I can see a small change but it's slow. In my search on this condition, I came across one woman who said that using the Neutrogena Microdermabrasion kit also helped. I have been manually exfoliating with a microfibre cloth, and wondering whether to try the Neutrogena Microdermabrasion kit or not.

cheers
Hels

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post. I found this site when I googled "chicken skin neck"! Thanks Ash for posting the pic and for the topic. I have the exact same neck...only worse. My face is 32 and my neck is 52!

I researched thoroughly and like "Hopefulone" I thought it must be Poikiloderma of Civatte. However I did not have the red patches. From what I have read this condition is simply sun damage. The damage is often done in your teens but only shows when you get older and gets worse if you keep exposing your neck to sun. It is associated mainly with fair skin types. This is probably correct as I am very fair and I did do a lot of scuba diving in my 20's and NEVER work sunscreen.

I have tried intensive moisturising and scrubbing to no effect. In fact, I was a bit afraid to keep scrubbing at my neck (even with expensive abrasion kits) in case I made it worse. I do not like to go see my GP in case she thinks I am vain (yes! I AM vain about my neck but don't like her knowing it). I am now awaiting an online order of retin A.

Anyone who has tackled this condition successfully please let us all know how you did it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is mainly in response to Matilda. Yes, I do believe what you have is poikiloderma. I think the surefire way to tell for sure is when you raise your
neck upward, does it appear worse? You will not only have the little bumps (which are raised hair follicles) but you also have what appear to be lines, almost rows of raised skin, that run in a horizontal pattern. You may also have slightly indented areas in between the "rows" of skin. Basically, it is atrophy of the skin on the neck and chest and unfortunately, there is little you can do to correct it. You can prevent further damage by consistent use of high SPF physical sunscreen that is made of zinc oxide/titanium dioxide. Stay away from chemical sunscreens.
I would also stay away from any type of laser treatments. It is too risky in regards to side effects and the outcome could be disasterous if the settings are too high. As I had mentioned in my previous post, I had spot treatment done to remove some angiomas on my neck and chest (which healed fine) but the esthitician also treated some spots on my face and though I was fine initially, it did produce very bad results in my cheek area a few month down the road. I suffered all winter long with burning, tingling sensations and advanced rosacea where I never had it prior to IPL.
I am trying to now get that under control and then I will try again to work on the Poikiloderma, however, I will be doing it with topical treatments only. I found the so called "experts" (derms and esthiticians) really have little or no knowledge about the condition and how to go about treating it. All the things I have had done by them probably did more harm than good.
I think Retin A is your best bet for now. I did try it (Tretinoin) over the summer for a couple of weeks but it was too much for me at the time. I was still recovering from the IPL, plus I had a focal TCA peel to remove a keratosis on the front of my neck and it was all too much at once. I did fine initially on the Tretinoin but gave up when it produced too much irritation/redness. I did go through the flaky stage, which can be kind of a hassle because you get little flecks of skin falling off your neck onto your clothes, so be prepared to moisturize to combat that.
I am going to try the Retin A again and try to stick with it for the long haul. I understand it can take 6 months to see results and you do have to go through some side effects (redness, peeling, flaking, etc) before you see improvement.
As far as you thinking you are vain because you are concerned about the appearance of this condition, you are far from it and I know how it must make you feel. I know in my situation, it has caused me to be extremely self concious. I must have spent countless hours on the internet hoping there would be something I could do to fix it. I have spent more money than I really could afford in my attempt to improve the appearance, only to come out defeated. My face is pretty youthful looking and from a distance you would not know I have this condition but up close it looks horrible. It's such a contrast from my face to my neck and I am limited in so many ways in my wardrobe -T-shirts are out of the question because anything with a collar that rubs up on the front of my neck irritates it and makes it look worse. I cannot ever wear an open neck blouse that fully exposes my neck and chest. I basically stick to v-neck type shirts as it seems to draw attention away from it. I have to be careful what type of lighting I am in and I cringe when I have to talk to someone face to face in lighting that fully accentuates the awful texture. To me it is very distressing and what I would consider cosmetically disfiguring. I don't date and I rarely go out anymore because of it. I thought I was over-reacting but I during a consult with one of the esthticians, she was very honest with me and told me it was the worst case she has seen. She said the red flushing can be treated but the textural issues are almost impossible to improve. She told me chemical peels might offer some improvement but I would have to have several and there is always the risk of scarring, hyper and hypo pigmentation. She told me to just accept it and concentrate on my good features. I am trying to do that but it can be very difficult.
It would be great if there was some type of support group for this condition where we could all exchange ideas and information. So far, I have met a few people on different skin care forums who have this and have had some very limited success in treating it. One lady used 302 products with some degree of success but it took a very long time. Another lady had used a dermabrasion kit along with retin A to produce a peeling effect. She said it cured it temporarily but it sounds like it could be harsh form of treatment if used on sensitive skin. Of course, if you come across anyone else who has this and has some degree of success in treating it, let me know. Likewise, I will let you know if I come up with anything. Sorry you have to go through this but maybe your case isn't as bad as you think and it's good that you are looking into options now. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Hopefulone09 and Matilda,

I have been using a form of Retin-A .05 cream called Retrieve for just over 6 months, and have not had much success with it. I have been searching for something to help reduce the textural problems also, and have seen the posts regarding microdermabrasion and the 302 skin care. I was looking into buying a home microdermabrasion machine called TimePeel but haven't gotten as far as buying it as it seems a bit harsh, at the moment I'm using a microfibre cloth only.

The only other thing I have come across that I think might work is Copper Peptides in particular the Skin Biology CPs but I haven't seen anyone tackle this condition using them. I am thinking of buying their BND cream which is a milder cream especially for the neck and decolletage area. The science behind it is to use something to exfoliate and the copper peptides to thicken up/rebuild the skin. This seems to me like it might help with the atrophy (thinning skin) problem. Hopefulone09 in your studies did you come across these and rule them out or research into them. Just looking around for another opinion. I am at the point of thinking should I wait for the full 12 months on Retin-A alone and possible step up the strength to .1 cream;
or add CPs to see if the 2 together make a difference; and/or add a once a month Microdermabrasion with the Timepeel but stripping away the top layer just seems like a quick fix, I'm thinking I need to build up the skin before I do that.

It's a very difficult situation to deal with and look at each day, and I can't help think I would like to try something that might help, what do you think?

Many thanks
Hels

1 - 20 of 26 Posts