Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally thought this was poison ivy, but looking at pictures online don't match.

The only thing I can think of, I had a pedicure for the first time the other day and they put like a seaweed type paste on my legs and then wrapped them in hot towels.

Now I have these little red bumps at each hair with a small amount of infection. (Tried to post a picture, but the forum wont allow it).

Have been putting calamine lotion on it. Not sure what else to do.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would buy a medroldosepak (methylprednisolone). It sounds like you are having an autoimmune response. Go see a doctor if you can and if not you can order a systemic steroid online at netmedorders.com or another US based online pharmacy if you are in USA. I would first try hydrocortisone 1% though which you can get at any pharmacy.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would buy a medroldosepak (methylprednisolone). It sounds like you are having an autoimmune response. Go see a doctor if you can and if not you can order a systemic steroid online at netmedorders.com or another US based online pharmacy if you are in USA. I would first try hydrocortisone 1% though which you can get at any pharmacy.
I hope that this post is not suggesting that the poster go to an on-line source for oral steroids without a prescription.

If so - sorry - but I wholeheartedly disagree! It is dangerous to take systemic steroids unless under the care of a physician. Steroids are hormones that control literally every cell process of the body and the list of precautions and contraindications related to their use would make your hair stand on end.

Start with the topical steroid (hydrocortisone 1%), as suggested, and oral Benadryl - both of which are Over the Counter. And if these do not give adequate relief, see a physician.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree too. Just use topical hydrocortisone and continue using calamine lotion. You can take oral Citrizine HCL Or Fexofenadine HCL they are non drowsy.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I hope that this post is not suggesting that the poster go to an on-line source for oral steroids without a prescription.

If so - sorry - but I wholeheartedly disagree! It is dangerous to take systemic steroids unless under the care of a physician. Steroids are hormones that control literally every cell process of the body and the list of precautions and contraindications related to their use would make your hair stand on end.

Start with the topical steroid (hydrocortisone 1%), as suggested, and oral Benadryl - both of which are Over the Counter. And if these do not give adequate relief, see a physician.
I would never suggest that as a first line of treatment. I stated that the person SHOULD see a physician and also try hydrocortisone. BUT I know from living in USA that not everyone has health insurance and not everyone goes to doctors and if they are going to buy a prescription I prefer it is from a safe source. Some 90 MILLION (unfathomable number to me) Americans bought prescription drugs online last year alone and a good portion of these people were ripped off with fake drugs or worse yet, injured. I NEVER advocate being one's own doctor but I do realise that it is better someone is safe than sorry. If a rash does not respons to hydrocortisone, antihistamines or calamine then most doctors would likely prescribe a medrol dosepak which is a very safe dosing of methylprednisolone and is routinely sold in many countries over the counter at the discretion of pharmacists.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Lexi2009

BUT I know from living in USA that not everyone has health insurance and not everyone goes to doctors and if they are going to buy a prescription I prefer it is from a safe source.

This includes me the minute I come back over the border into the US - so I understand what you are saying. If you have a prescription buy it from a cheap source - which is usually on-line. No problem.

But these are your words -

Quote: Originally Posted by

- Go see a doctor if you can and if not you can order a systemic steroid online at netmedorders.com or another US based online pharmacy if you are in USA.

This sounds to me like you are advising someone that that should self-medicate if they cannot get to a doctor. This is what I (and Fawnie) objected to.

Quote: Originally Posted by

If a rash does not respons to hydrocortisone, antihistamines or calamine then most doctors would likely prescribe a medrol dosepak which is a very safe dosing of methylprednisolone and is routinely sold in many countries over the counter at the discretion of pharmacists

At least the pharmacist makes the call to treat with steroids and not the patient. But this is exactly why the FDA requires a Rx. Pharmacists are not equipped to know the history of the patient to the degree necessary in order to "prescribe" this drug. And they typically does not want the liability when something goes wrong. They are not paid enough to take on this level of responsibility.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I assure you it was not my intention to prescribe or otherwise recommend someone does use a website to simply buy a prescription but the site I mentioned is reviewed by an MD as per US law and complies with the FDA and only dispenses drugs that can be dispensed with a remote consultation which is more or less why I recommend it as opposed to simply buying online from unknown foreign sources.

Until and unless USA stops punishing people for NOT having health insurance by making health related bills a credit issue and making a trip to a doctor cost an arm and leg people are unfortunately going to always self-prescribe here. As I mentioned, 90 MILLION is a staggering number. I do not condone nor do I wish for anyone to self medicate but I also would rather they are safe than sorry and as stated the dosing in a medrol dosepak is VERY low and not likely to do anything to 98% of the people that take it (Tylenol is much more likely to damage someone's health) and as such this is regularly sold OTC in many countries for rashes, poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac as well as a laundy list of contact dermatitis causes and autoimmune responses. I do apologise if you took offense by it but as stated I prefer people are safer which was the only meaning behind the comment.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I assure you it was not my intention to prescribe or otherwise recommend someone does use a website to simply buy a prescription but the site I mentioned is reviewed by an MD as per US law and complies with the FDA and only dispenses drugs that can be dispensed with a remote consultation which is more or less why I recommend it as opposed to simply buying online from unknown foreign sources.
I checked out that site (netmedorders.com) and see that they do not dispense oral steroids. I asked and they said - no methylprednisolone, no prednisone, no dexamethasone, and so on - which says to me that they also feel that a physical examination is needed before prescribing these drugs. No sane physician or pharmacist would put their license on the line on the basis of an on-line questionaire.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I checked out that site (netmedorders.com) and see that they do not dispense oral steroids. I asked and they said - no methylprednisolone, no prednisone, no dexamethasone, and so on - which says to me that they also feel that a physical examination is needed before prescribing these drugs. No sane physician or pharmacist would put their license on the line on the basis of an on-line questionaire.
Exactly why I recommend a US based site. They will only dispense what is prudent. I do know that in Asia you can get medrol dosepaks though for a wide array of inflamations, hyper-immune responses etc. Unfortunately you have a ton of faith that doctors will not just prescribe it but I can tell you when I was here and needed it (IN USA) I simply told a doctor I needed a medrol dosepak and he prescribed it. No different but for the fact I had to pay a co-pay and my insurance was billed than if I had been able to walk into a pharmacy and buy it. I definitely know what you mean and trust me that is why I did recommend netmedorders because they comply with all laws and also would ask for a history on check out to be reviewed by an MD but like I said, a medrol dosepak is a relative low dose steroid treatment and not enough to do harm unless someone has serious medical issues or an allergy/sensitivity and als as stated, it is one of those rubber stamp medications that doctors not only prescribe readily (often with no exam, history etc.) but also relatively safe. I found pharmacisist in Thailand asked me more than the US doctor who prescribed it for me.

All that said--now you see I only recommend reputable places that will not distribute anything they do not feel complies with FDA regulations though I am surprised as I have seen more dangerous meds on the site than methylprednisolone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts