Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't understand this, but I have pores on my legs. After shaving my legs, I have little black dots on the places where the shaved hair used to grow. This has been happening ever since I was in middle school. Can anyone think of any solutions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
You should try waxing instead. When you shave it cuts the hair but a little part of it is still left in the pore which is why you see the black dots.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Combating ingrown hair, dark spots where hair was; dry skin in shaving area?.......Shopping list on end of thread:

1. Two days before hair removal, bathe, soak and then gently exfoliate your skin. I recommend your favorite bubble bath with a cup of powdered milk added in..(Cleopatra never had it so good; the milk makes a great coffee creamer too) I gently rub with a pumice stone to exfoliate but a sugar scrub may do for you.
2. Please wait 2 days to rest your skin before the hair removal process.
3. On wax day, ensure the skin is clean and pulled tight. Whether or not you go to a salon for waxing “Do not be afraid to check to see if the waxed hair’s bulb was pulled out too”.
**** I also recommend that steps 1 & 2 be done before shaving and before depilatory cream use or at least once every 2 weeks.

This D.I.Y. shopping list may total approx $25.00; however it should last approx 3 months. Wax= $15.00; Sticks= 50 for $3.00; Muslin= $1.50 a yard. Milk= $5.00 per can. Convenience and Great smooth skin = Priceless.
Sallys for GiGi Dark Honee wax for Course hair (if you are a person of color, or if your hair has “deep roots”; if you are not then the other waxes may work fine).
JoAnn/Wallmart for muslin cloth and thick popsicle sticks.
Grocery store for Powdered Milk. (try Nido whole milk by Nestle, usually found in the Hispanic foods section)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I tried using Nair, but the "pores" still exist. Maybe I'm just weird.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Have you tried good old fashioned waxing? I think the black spots just might be the roots of the hairs. Nair doesn't remove the entire hair from the root.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok, so I tried using Nair, but the "pores" still exist. Maybe I'm just weird.
Did you exfolliate first? ...and how often do you exfolliate? It will take more than 1 repetion of the exfolliate/hair removal proceedure before you see a diffrence.

I'm back! (formerly YorLooksMyBiz)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did you exfolliate first? ...and how often do you exfolliate? It will take more than 1 repetion of the exfolliate/hair removal proceedure before you see a diffrence.

I'm back! (formerly YorLooksMyBiz)
There you are! Where have you been? And why the name change?

·
Registered
139 Posts
MAN!!!!,
I've been unable to logon or rest my password. I've also been on the road. I finnaly broke down and decided to "re-invent" me online. I was going through withdrawl from the inability to post!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. I didn't have this problem from the time I started shaving until much later, but for a few years now, I have had the problem, and I shave every day because I just can't stand the scratchy feeling on my legs.
I would like to find the answer to my problem, because not all of my friends have this problem. Does anyone have a solution? I also do not use anything for a moisturizer in the shaving process but the hot water.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think the problem was probably resolved in the three years that have past since this was originally posted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Why not try a hair-removing cream which will dissolve the hair fully? What you're observing is the remainder of the hair at the point it's been cut off.

I used to shave my legs but find the new depilarory creams fantastic. The result is 'cleaner' and lasts longer,

Warm regards,

redrose

·
Registered
398 Posts
YorLooksMyBiz, I'm glad this got bumped. I shave and have the dark dots too. I shave because it's easy and cheap, so I won't be waxing my legs. Do you have any suggestions, other than exfoliating, that would help for someone who shaves?

I'm concerned about the timing of exfo vs. shaving, since you mention doing exfo days prior. I am not that organized!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm glad someone DID bump it.

I have this problem, and it just really occurred to me to actually research it online and see why this is, to see if I can get rid of it. I've had it for as long as I can remember after starting to shave my legs. I wondered if hyperpigmentation was the issue because my dark skin.

It's not little hairs waiting underneath the skin that I am looking at here. It's clearly a dark "dot" of actual skin, as described by others. A darker area of skin surrounding the pore where the hair comes out. I know this for certain because hair and skin don't look alike.

I'd just like to know what causes these "dots" and if they can be cleared at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Waxing hurts too much...then again guy's are sissies when it comes to that stuff (I mean we all saw the 40 year old virgin).

I totally agree with the exfoliating advice being thrown around and you might want to check this product out Shaving Lotion | Day Away,its an exfoliating shave lotion.

My girlfriend uses it (i steal it too sometimes) and it helps get a really close shave without the ensuing bumps that usually come afterwards. As always make sure you use tendskin after you shave

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm glad someone DID bump it.

I have this problem, and it just really occurred to me to actually research it online and see why this is, to see if I can get rid of it. I've had it for as long as I can remember after starting to shave my legs. I wondered if hyperpigmentation was the issue because my dark skin.

It's not little hairs waiting underneath the skin that I am looking at here. It's clearly a dark "dot" of actual skin, as described by others. A darker area of skin surrounding the pore where the hair comes out. I know this for certain because hair and skin don't look alike.

I'd just like to know what causes these "dots" and if they can be cleared at all.
Rem your right. i have this same problem to. but not just my legs its pretty much my whole body. maybe its dead skin, dirt, oil in those pores. i exfolliate everyday so i dont think that exfoliation helps. have you figured any thing out yet?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts