Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since about the age of 13 I have been on and off medication. Here's what has worked for me. Most effective treatments at the top.

Roaccutane- Been on 2 courses, works wonders. Clears skin for about 2-3 years, the acne comes back after that but not as bad. Side effects: dry skin and lips, swollen eyes (on 1st course) which needed catabolic steroids to calm down.

DUAC gel (Benzyl Peroxide + clyndamicin phosphate)- On this now, works great. Side effects include extreme dryness and I think redness, I don't know if it's worth it really. And it bleaches clothing.

Tetracyclin- Works great for first few months, then mysteriously stops working and does nothing.

Dalacin T cream (clydamicin phosphate)- Works a little bit, still get bad acne on this so ineffective. Useless fact- this glows under strobe lights, so if you use it you can apply some lines before you go raving

Plus I have been on shedloads of anti-biotics and creams which have done sweet f.a. and are utterly useless- off the top off my head I can remember erymax, minocin and skinoren cream.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
The nasty little acne germs become resistant to the antibiotics after a short while. Some ppl are getting results with MetroGel for acne, even tho it's meant for rosacea. It is a prescription med.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best way to get rid of acne is to be on accutane. However, the side effects may not be worth the perfectly clear skin. Accutane is in the Retinoid family, as is Retin-A cream, Retin-A micro cream, Differin gel,Tazorac cream, and Retinol. Accutane works from the inside out, where the other forms are topical.

If your skin can tolerate it, Retin-A delivers great results. It is very strong. The other retinoid creams are basically Retin-A at a lesser concentration and some different additives, that don't make a difference. If you have sensitive skin at all, you are going to do better on one of the others.

Every Retinoid is only available with a prescription, with the exception of one. Retinol is a weaker form of the ingredient and can be found in some over-the-counter creams. Retinol is also one of the best ingredients for anti-aging.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
The best way to get rid of acne is to be on accutane. However, the side effects may not be worth the perfectly clear skin. Accutane is in the Retinoid family, as is Retin-A cream, Retin-A micro cream, Differin gel,Tazorac cream, and Retinol. Accutane works from the inside out, where the other forms are topical.

If your skin can tolerate it, Retin-A delivers great results. It is very strong. The other retinoid creams are basically Retin-A at a lesser concentration and some different additives, that don't make a difference. If you have sensitive skin at all, you are going to do better on one of the others.

Every Retinoid is only available with a prescription, with the exception of one. Retinol is a weaker form of the ingredient and can be found in some over-the-counter creams. Retinol is also one of the best ingredients for anti-aging.
I can't agree with you more on the Accutane. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked like Accutane- I have been acne free for 10 months!!

I never thought I would be able to say that!!!

I didn't have many side effects while taking Accutane, but even if I did, it is worth what you get in the end. Clear skin!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel ya, I've been on alot too....can't remember because ive been on tazorac the longest now....my acne is pretty much gone, once in a while i get some but not nearly as bad, and my scars are still there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zontaca has already been on Accutane/Roaccutane for 2 courses. What now? she/he wonders. Would another course be recommended?
I'm on the DUAC gel now (5% benzyl peroxide). My acne isn't perfectly clear but I just get tiny red blemishes weekly, as opposed to huge inflamed pimples daily. So I guess I shouldn't complain

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Acne runs in my family btw. Both parents had it and both my sisters have it. So that's prob why I'm so prone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't agree with you more on the Accutane. I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked like Accutane- I have been acne free for 10 months!!

I never thought I would be able to say that!!!

I didn't have many side effects while taking Accutane, but even if I did, it is worth what you get in the end. Clear skin!!
Hi Gymrat,
I am so happy that accutane has worked for you, as I was on it about 20 years ago, and it worked wonders for me as well. Just a bit of warning though, after a couple of years large pores do develop on the face, and well as some pigmentation. I know of 5 people who have been on it for about 2 to 3 courses, and they either have both these issues, or at least one of them.
Maybe I am mistaken that it has anything to do with the accutane, but it is just an observation which I have had. Perhaps the formulation of the accutane has changed since all of these people (including myself have been on it)
I am totally on board with you about the accutane though...it was the only thing that worked for me for cystic acne. It is a miracle drug! I guess it is a double edged sword, what else to do if nothing else works for sever acne?
Enjoy your new beautiful complexion!

Cheers,
Gigi

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best way to get rid of acne is to be on accutane.

If your skin can tolerate it, Retin-A delivers great results. It is very strong. .
I've been on Roaccutane twice and dermatologists generally don't like putting people on a 3rd course. My acne isn't bad enough for Roaccutane anyway, it's not severe acne I have it's persistent acne- it's nearly always there.

I'm on DUAC gel and it's causing total havoc (irritation, redness, rashes, severe dryness) so I don't think Retin-A is for me.

I haven't been diagnosed with rosacea but I think I have it. My dermatologist told me it wasn't "red enough" but my face looks scarlet red to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some ppl are getting results with MetroGel for acne, even tho it's meant for rosacea. It is a prescription med.
*ears prick up*

A gel for acne and rosacea? So it will help my acne without irritating the **** out it and making it all peel off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since about the age of 13 I have been on and off medication. Here's what has worked for me. Most effective treatments at the top.

Roaccutane- Been on 2 courses, works wonders. Clears skin for about 2-3 years, the acne comes back after that but not as bad. Side effects: dry skin and lips, swollen eyes (on 1st course) which needed catabolic steroids to calm down.

DUAC gel (Benzyl Peroxide + clyndamicin phosphate)- On this now, works great. Side effects include extreme dryness and I think redness, I don't know if it's worth it really. And it bleaches clothing.

Tetracyclin- Works great for first few months, then mysteriously stops working and does nothing.

Dalacin T cream (clydamicin phosphate)- Works a little bit, still get bad acne on this so ineffective. Useless fact- this glows under strobe lights, so if you use it you can apply some lines before you go raving

Plus I have been on shedloads of anti-biotics and creams which have done sweet f.a. and are utterly useless- off the top off my head I can remember erymax, minocin and skinoren cream.
Deoxycycline worked really well for me

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh my! I have been on all these things also. The antibiotics, the creams and everything in between. I was on Accutane about 20 years ago also. It worked a miracle for about 10 years and the acne returned. Now I must tell you that I am 55 years old and haven't started menopause yet. My face wouldn't quit breaking out. I was on the benzomyacin and the doxycycline (which quit working). I started taking Juice plus ( which I am not affilitated with) and 3 weeks later my skin cleared up. I don't believe in anything that isn't instant gratification. A girlfriend came over and brought me two bottles to try for free and I was very skeptical. Very. But my skin is glowing and no breakouts. Well I did have one on my forhead today, but then I started my period. Hmmm. I will keep you posted in another few months to see if I am still cleared up. This is my medical mystery.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You have to remember I am not advertising this or selling it, but Juice Plus is classified as a whole food. It's vegtables and fruits that are flash dried. So it's actually the phyto nutrients that are getting into your body. The people that are selling it say we don't ever get enough fruits and veggies in our diets. I know I don't. I looked on the bottles and did my research and I was very skeptical. Not alot of actual vitamins. But for someone who has tried EVERYTHING, this seems to be working for me. I still don't believe it. My girlfriend originally brought it over because she said it would cure my fibromyalgia. Ha! Like I believed that. But it did clear up my skin. Like I said I am still skeptical, but it's doing something. Oh, and it's expensive, like 40 dollars or something. But I bought some cheaper on e-bay. Just FYI.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi!

Recent years I learnt that it is more difficult to get rid of the toxic from drugs than herbs. Our body system naturally expels toxic through the liver, kidney and 'lims' system (sorry forgot how to spell). Why don't you try drinking rose bud + chysanthemum + lavender + honeysuckle + merrigold. The tea provides plenty of vitamins, especially C, for skin, detoxifies the body, calms the systems, and promote balance hormones. This was recommended to me by a beautiful 60 over years old lady. I actually took "Szechuan wan ling chao" and recovered totally from acnes at about 22.

feli

1 - 19 of 19 Posts