Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in my very early 20s and I've noticed by watching TLC, etc that some of the things that make women look older than they are are hands that look aged and saggy neck skin. I would like a way to help slow the skin on my hands from aging, but if I put sunscreen on my hands every day, i would have to reapply it every time i wash my hands. Also, Will a lotion with vitamins and SPF be enough to prevent sagging of neck skin? or are there better options?

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Congratulations on using sunscreen regularly at such a young age. Sun damage more than anything will cause your skin to age. Sagging skin is eventually caused by the loss of elastin in the skin which helps it keep its elasticity and "snap back" into place. UV rays can damage your skin's ability to do this over time.

Once you start experiencing bone loss, the sag can become even more pronounced. You shouldn't have to worry about this too much at your age. Just keep up with the SPF 30 or higher as consistently as you can.

Using a product with Glycolic Acid can also help. It is partly responsible for maintaining elastin production in the skin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just like on your face, your hands need exfoliation too. There are a few things you can do. Use sunscreen like you have been, get regular manicures which should include the paraffin wax every now and then, or you can by a paraffin wax spa at Wal-mart for like $40 and do it yourself, but also I think you should use the satin hands products from Mary Kay. It first rehydrates, then exfoliates, then hydrates again.
Thanks,
Shawna

·
Registered
60 Posts

I agree that too much sun without sun protection is bad for our skin and hair. I am 25 and recently I never go out without using sunscreen. Even inside the house we need sunscreen bcoz the UV fluorescent light bulb we have does have UV light and the sunshine can still give UV light inside our house. I know this behaviour of light well bcoz I'm a gemologist and some diamonds fluoresce under UV light.

Perfect Diamond - Very Strong Blue Fluorescence

·
Registered
11 Posts
To prevent aging in your hands, you should apply sunscreen on them daily and moisturize them as much as possible. The sunscreen is key! Unfortunatly for a saggy neck I think that the best way to prevent it is through moisturization and deep peelings. Eventually some people end up getting their saggy neck fixed through plastic surgery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To prevent aging of the hands, I always use sunscreen and reapply after washing hands (even if the sunscreen is waterproof, I do not believe any sunscreen is fully waterproof). To do this,I buy hand lotions that have UVA/UVB protection and antioxidants, kills two birds with one stone, you get sun protection plus additional anti-aging ingredients

To help prevent sagging of the neck, I would, of course, always apply sunscreen and use products that contain ingredients known to maintain skin collagen like Vitamin C and/or Retin-A.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think it's great to start good skincare as early as possible, particularly sun protection. The right skincare can make a huge difference to the number of wrinkles we end up with, my sister has never bothered to use anything on her face and she has a network of wrinkles now. If the skin is dry then it makes sense to lubricate it and I've found that exfoliation also helps, the hands are often ignored and they do take a beating with all the detergents/cleaning products we subject them to. Always wear rubber gloves when using anything harsh and I've found one of those paraffin wax foot baths you can buy can also be used for the hands the one I bought even came with gloves to wear while the wax was hardening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are very wise to be thinking about the damage that the sun can do to the skin, even at your young age. If you leave it till older, the damage is already done. You are right to use hand lotion after every wash, but you could leave the sunscreen only for when you go outside. Always apply moisturiser containing minimum SPF15 to the face, neck and, don't forget the chest area, as this can become very "crepey" looking later on. More tips for great skin: Drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol. DON'T SMOKE!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Even when I use waterproof sunscreen, I still reapply sunscreen when washing my hands. If you read the back of most waterproof sunscreen, it instructs you to reapply after getting wet or toweling...so I try to keep lotion with SPF next to the sink to remind me.
I've read that skin sags due to loss of collagen. Collagen degradation occurs naturally as we age as well as from the sun. So you are correct in thinking sunscreen can help prevent sagging skin. In addition to prevention, you can use products to promote collagen synthesis. Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) is a skin care ingredient with much research to support its collagen promotion abilities. An excellent Vitamin C products is Skinceuticals C E Ferulic, but it cost over $100 dollars
If you don't want or can't spend that amount, you can try to make a product similar to it for less than $20.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Foods rich in Vitamins A , C and E and iron are essential components for a healthy skin complexion as is regular but not excessive exercise

Cheers

Cheryl from The Soap Store

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'd like to think so, Christian - but perhaps it's a case of "Mad Dogs, English Men and the Midday Sun!

The Aussies are all in the shade of the bar drinking Fosters!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
my bf is 40 and looks like hes in his late 20's he use to have awful acne and was always using creams which helped with anti aging...now he uses origins and his face is always clear and looks great...if you have an origins store near you...i suggest trying some of their products

·
Registered
111 Posts
ooo I love going in the Origins store in the mall. I've never bought anything there though. Maybe I will next time... do they give out samples?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sunscreen is a must, as is regular exercise, healthy diet. Most of that stuff has been covered here it looks like! It's so true, many women neglect the skin on their necks and chests and end up with flawless faces but the neck gives away all the secrets. I use a product called Just for Neck and Decollete at restoreskin.net. It's designed to tighten and firm aging skin on the neck and chest as well as prevent further signs of premature aging. I'm very pleased with this product and recommend it to all my friends (young and old).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts