Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 23 year old female whom is prone to stretch marks, I have them on my hips, inner thighs, brests, bum and back of legs. I am not overweight (5'8" 130 pounds currently) but did go through a time in my teens of a weight gain (160 pounds) and loss rapidly after being put on paxil and taken off.

Currently the marks have faded with time, also I do reccomend Vichy's stretch mark cream which helped them fade faster, also tanning does make them less noticable as well but I dont know if it is worth it given what else it does to your skin in the long run.

I am concerned about pregnancy, my mother and 2 sisters have stretch marks from pregnancy, I do not believe that they had been using any sort of creams faithfuly. I was wondering if anyone has found a product which is great for prevention of stretch marks? I am specificaly asking those whom are prone to them (ie- mother had them, or already had them from another period in life). I would be tempted to try the Vichy cream as it is a prevention and correction but would like others thoughts...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site. I've never heard of one product being able to prevent stretch marks, and if one claimed it I seriously would be douptful. However there are things that can make it less of a problem, such as a good diet, lots of fruit, vegies. I've heard of people getting great results from Unrefined shea butter, or coconut oil applied daily to the areas that you are worried about. They are both fairly cheap ya might want to look into it further.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wish I knew it and used it earlier - Robelyn Labs Elastin3 Advanced Stretch Mark Therapy cream. I used bio oil and emu oil during pregnancy but still got tons of stretch marks. Thankfully the marks have almost vanished after I used this Elastin3 cream. I recommended it to lots of my friends and they all have great results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a petit and thin gal, so when I became pregnant, I really worried about stretch marks, my cousin recommended Belli oil, I used it twice every single day. To my surprise, I got no stretch marks and I got HUGE, the Dr. and nurses were very surprised. I still use the oil to make my skin more firm, I swear by it. it's also safe and natural for breast feeding.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Firm frequent massage will also help the tissues expand without tearing. Same as the episiotomy which is unnecessary if the Dr/Midwife takes the time and trouble to manually stretch the tissues during labor instead of the quick and easy cut.

Adequate protein intake is important too.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
13 Posts
bio oil is good 1 so is skindocters stretch away available nationwide 20 pounds for a 200ml tube where can i get Belli oil, from i want to try this 1 out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
While there is no magic formula to prevent stretch marks there are some things that you can do to minimise the risks. These things mainly centre around keeping the skin moisturised inside and out and keeping weight gain to a healthy minimum.

* Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and supple
* Continue to exercise moderately throughout pregnancy to reduce excessive weight gain
* Eat plenty of foods rich in Vitamin E (moisturising) - wheatgerm, nuts (especially almonds and hazelnuts), sunflower seeds, olives, avocados, fish, sweet potatoes, leafy green veges, wholegrains (nb vitamin E works best with vitamin C so also eat plenty of fresh, raw fruits and veges)
* Eat plenty of foods high in vitamin A (moisturising) - dairy foods, eggs, oily fish, leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, orange sweet potato, apricots, pumpkin, mangoes and rockmelon

NB Consult a qualified health professional before taking vitamin A supplements during pregnanacy. Over consumption of vitamin A supplements can be toxic. Vitamin A from vegetable sources is regulated by the body so you cannot overdose on it.

* Eat plenty of foods rich in zinc (healing) - pumpkin seeds, sardines, oysters, brown rice, lentils, cheese, eggs, red meat
* Enjoy a relaxing massage of your bump (and boobs, back, thighs . . .) at least once a day with a rich, non-toxic moisturising oil or lotion. Ingredients to look for include: avocado oil, carrot seed oil, rosehip seed oil, lavender essential oil, neroli essential oil, patchouli essential oil and mandarin essential oil.

For more information on keeping skin moisturised from within see my web blog article: Top Tips to Moisturise Your Skin from Within

At the end of the day, don't worry too much about stretch marks - stress is also not good for the skin, and the reward is worth any battle scars earned in the process (although this is coming from someone who managed to go through pregnancy without any).

Wishing you a healthy and happy pregnancy when it happens.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was just like you and have massive stretch marks from being a skinny kid then growing fast into my 'lady lumps' as a teenager so I have stretch marks on my hips, thighs, bum and breasts which have faded to silver with time - yes the tan hid it but don't go sunbedding or sit out in the sun to hide them anymore - the damage it has done to my face with hyperpigmentation especially after pregnancy with all the hormones still flowing through your system - get a good fake tan after bubs is born!

Sorry back to my origional point. I never got stretch marks on my belly! Even through two fairly good sized girls, 8 pounds 7 ounces and 8 pounds 11 ounces respectively. I was huge! Although it was pretty much all bump and boobs, you couldn't really tell I was pregnant from behind. I used extra virgin avocado oil. Cheap and cheerful.

Enjoy your pregnancy, I still miss feeling those kicks and prods. A happy and healthy nine months to you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi C3M,smartlivings post was excellent I fully agree, in addition massaging the above mentioned oils morning and night are a must, I use derma oil. my mum had bad stretch marks and thought Id be the same but did all the things mentioned and didnt get any ( Ive had three children) I avoided using soap on my tummy breasts and thighs while pregnant, but I also think if your skin is dry in nature and very pale (I am olive and have oily skin) that you should not use a soap at all, there are substitutes, and many who believe soap is not necessary at all, just keep up the oil and stay out of the sun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm 23, and just had my daughter last year. I used 3 different kinds of stretch mark creams that promised to keep them away, I used vitamin E serum and nothing helped or worked. I got incredibly deep purple stretch marks.

However, after thinking about it I wondered what ingredients were in the lotions, and after noticing there were like 50 ingredients it was obvious why none of them worked - so I made my own cocoa/shea butter mixture with raw cocoa butter and raw shea butter, and I also did something called skin brushing - with a natural bristle brush. It didn't get rid of the stretch marks completely but it did reduce them significantly.

I would recommend creating your own 'body butter' with unrefined ingredients as someone else stated, because you'll be getting the nutrients you need.

Also - drink TONS of water, water helps keep the skins elasticity

Finally, exfoliate your belly twice a week - this will help get rid of any dead skin cells so that if you do get stretch marks they wont be as deep and the color will fade faster. A good simple exfoliant is 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup olive oil - mix and rub on in circular motions then rinse off. It's pretty easy :)

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Informative thread!!! I'm 17weeks with #2 and I didn't get bad stretch marks with my son and I used cocoa butter during my pregnancy with him......I'm gonna try some of the above suggestions with this pregnancy=)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts