Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing commercials for both proactiv and murad products for acne. I did some research and they use similar ingredients and are about the same price. Is one better than the other

·
Registered
582 Posts
i know that my brother ordered it off the internet and did a rush delivery for a total of like around $75 dollars. what an idiot! lol! anyways he used it or like 3 or 4 mo. w/ NO real results so we're gonna use what the doctor prescribed. I don't know maybe it'll work on you, maybe it wont. I have oily skin and he let me use it for like a week and it didn't really do anything but make it worse!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that my brother ordered it off the internet and did a rush delivery for a total of like around $75 dollars. what an idiot! lol! anyways he used it or like 3 or 4 mo. w/ NO real results so we're gonna use what the doctor prescribed. I don't know maybe it'll work on you, maybe it wont. I have oily skin and he let me use it for like a week and it didn't really do anything but make it worse!
which one did he use? Murad or proactiv?

·
Registered
280 Posts
i personally used both and i found murad to work wonders so i would recommend that first.

when i tried the proactive program i didnt see much of a difference then eventually my acne came back in full swing and the program did nothing.

when i tried murad it was the first time i used aproduct that wasnt mainly a BP or salicylic acid. i was very skeptical but this stuff did wonders for me personally. its very expensive so i quit using it and my acne came back. but when i orignailly used it i was completely clear and working on my hyperpigmentation. i found the facial washer to be very drying so i used my regular cleanser but the exfoliating gel and the spot treatment were awesome.

there really isnt anything special about either murad and proactiv. they both have different acne fighting actives but they have pretty much the same system. you wash with an antibactial cleanser, you tone/exfoliate the skin then you use the active medicine the does the healing. and the only way you will know if it works is to try it. Proactiv is probably less special. you can find a BP cleanser, a toner and a BP lotion at your local drugstore. you may have to play around with the different brands and skin type formulas to find one that is just right but proactiv is just an overprised version of these type of products. proactiv does work but so does the drug store stuff. so i would say try murad first and if that doesnt work them try proactiv.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Both my sister and I have used Proactiv. We got the free trials in the mail. Anyway, it did not work for either of us and for the most part our skin isnt too bad. I think it actually did make my skin a little worse since I got some breakouts in areas of my face that have otherwise always been clear. Both of us stopped using it after 2 weeks and threw it out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I used Proactiv for about 4 months, and it did virtually nothing for me. What a waste of money? If your acne is REALLY bad, I'd suggest talking with your doctor about Accutane. Accutane is really drastic and controversial, but at least it works.

·
Registered
280 Posts
murad is so expensive. i was going to get the value pack on monday but i really dont want the cleanser. the 4oz cleanser is 35 buck (CAN) alone. so i would have to order the spot treatment cream and the exfoliating gel seperately. but im thinking that maybe i can turn my ******* into a cosmetics lab and make the stop treatment myself.

ummmm... maybe not a good idea. i dont want to blow myself up. im a little worried about where i would end up getting sulfur from and in what form. but sulfur is amazing for acne. 3% seems to work really well for me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really dont think there is much difference between the two. They both use benzoyl peroxide as the main acne fighting ingredient.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I really dont think there is much difference between the two. They both use benzoyl peroxide as the main acne fighting ingredient.
does murad really contain BP? cause there was specific claim by the company that it was BP free. i bought the products becuase it was BP free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used ProActiv and it did nothing for my skin. That was when I had very little acne, since then I have developed severe cyctic acne and I am currently using Murad (for only three days so far) and already I notice my red blotchy-ness is going away.. after my four week trial perhaps I'll post some before and after pictures. Also I can tell that Murad does not contain BP because it usually dries out my skin when I use products that contain it, but not Murad it's not harsh at all it's actually leaving my skin very soft.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Folks my girlfriend went to Toronto for business and purchased an adult acne kit made by a company called Clear Clinical. She bought the products as a kit, although they are offered individually and get this, the kit if used as a whole actually fight aging!!!

When I heard this, I had to foot the bill but it wasn't cheap!

I googled the product and found the doctor's site that developed the product, her name is dr lisa kellett, google her and check it out...

GeeDee

·
Registered
6 Posts
if you have a sephora store in your area try looking how much it is there. I wouldn't order off the tv because they usually stick you on some kind of auto delivery program. or you can go to sephora online and order their 30 day program, I think it's under $40.00(I'd double check that to be sure) and if you don't like it send it or take it back and they'll refund your money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone.

Have you tried Youthful Essentials, an all natural product line that contains no parabens and does no animal testing or uses suppliers that conduct animal testing. I've been using their anti-wrinkle, Hylauronic gel, skin healing gel, and facial moisturizer for 30 days now. My crows feet are slowly going away.

They recommend their skin healing gel for open acne or other small irritant wounds to rapidly heal without leaving scars. They also sell an alcohol free skin toner and a paraben free facial cleanser to be used first, then the gel, then a moisturizer. Then if you're getting a few chickens to linger near your eyes, you can use the wrinkle serum like me. ::grin::

There three product set of the toner, ceanser and skin healing gel created for acne. It is relatively inexpensive.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The question asked if one product or the other is better. Before one can asnwer this question, ot has to be clear to people that suffer from acne that acne is a deseas. It has many reasons why and how. The medical field knows only a little part of it why some of as suffer from acne and some do not. I believ form my 31 year expirience that every case has to be individualized. There are reasons such as hormones, puberty, nutrition, heredity, medictions, bowl moovment and elimination, stress and many many more. So each case has to be analized by its self. Most acne products when they are mass marketed like pro active are generally very basic and there main ingridients is benzoil peroxyde. Which helps in the reduction of oil production. But it is just a general product. Therefore you should seek at least the advice of a proffesional that can analise your skin condition.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts