Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cause Im not getting enough protein in me diet I have recently bought a protein shake to help with this prob, however it really tastes horrible!

Has anyone got any ideas on how I can make the protein shake taste nicer!

Also to all you women out there that are taken the shakes, how much of stuff are you taking per day, on the packet it says one to two scoops, Im not wanting to put on weight so any advice you can give would be great, thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You won't put any weight on when you consume whey protein.

Protein shakes taste like crap. You can add berries to it, and it will taste like crap with berries. Unfortunately I haven't found any good tasting protein out there in powder form. I haven't had a shake in a while and I'm just using solid foods.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks freddy, this is not a whey protein one that im trying, but as you said im not suprised they all taste like crap, its just easier for me to have a shake in the morning than for me to try and fit in the whole breakfast thing!

Good to know though I wont put on weight

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've been drinking protein shakes for around 35 years and they more often than not tasted really good to me. Find one you like. Met-Rx chocolate brings back yummy memories.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
I drink a whey protein shake everyday. Mine doesn't taste bad at all. You get used to it after awhile. If I am in a hurry I just mix it with water, not a big deal. If I have more time then I will add ice and what ever else and throw it in the blender. I haven't gain any weight from drinking them. The calories are extremely low. I drink it for the protein and the other vitamins that are in it.

Country Life, 100% Greens & Whey Powder, Vanilla Flavor, 10.3 oz (293 g) - iHerb.com

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Peri I have not tried that met rx chocolate, il try to look out for it!

Fawnie I bought the same as you have it seems but in chocolate and in saches, I really dont like it though! As Gymrat said i suppose you just get used to it after a while.

Il try a different one next time but dont think im gonna like any of them! Yeah just using it for the extra protein and energy booster I will get from this in the mornings!

Im still taking my multi vitamins and vit c and echinacea and cal/mag tabs in the evenings, and my vit b and ginseng drink during the day.

With all the illnesses going round in the uk at the mo I need all the extra help I can get fighting soar throats and cold that everyone seems to have at the mo here in the uk, especially as I cant take any time off work, given the fact that im leaving in 2 weeks times!

Thanks though for all the info on protein shakes, its all very helpful, il let ya know if i ever find a yummy one

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Try having a bowl of pulses such as lentils , chick peas, etc every day or eat soya beans. They are good sources of protein.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks pumi Im sure I told you this before but I normally get the small packs of whole food salads they sell at m&s, or cottage cheese with raw veg in the evenings, unfortunatly though according to the packet that is still not enough protein.

I do cook lentils when I have the time, but unfortunatly at the mo Im very short on time these days!

Il get used to having protein drinks though, only 1 glass a day, thanks though for the tips.

This evening for dinner I just had some eggs and ricotta cheese with olive oils and spices on toast with fruit salad, Yum yum.

Pumi I do you cook your soya beans, last time I made some I over soaked them so they did not taste very nice, however there is a nice recepie on you tube for soya beans etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Vanilla also, and add strawberries. I buy them fresh and put them in the freezer right away. Take them out, wash and take the tops off...add some ice, and water.......Yummy like a milkshake...Gotta watch for that brain freeze mind you lol

Chandy

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks pumi Im sure I told you this before but I normally get the small packs of whole food salads they sell at m&s, or cottage cheese with raw veg in the evenings, unfortunatly though according to the packet that is still not enough protein.

I do cook lentils when I have the time, but unfortunatly at the mo Im very short on time these days!

Il get used to having protein drinks though, only 1 glass a day, thanks though for the tips.

This evening for dinner I just had some eggs and ricotta cheese with olive oils and spices on toast with fruit salad, Yum yum.

Pumi I do you cook your soya beans, last time I made some I over soaked them so they did not taste very nice, however there is a nice recepie on you tube for soya beans etc.
Hi NY,

You should soak the soya beans for abt 5-6 hours. Then fry them well before using them in any recipe.

HTH

·
Registered
208 Posts
My preference is to make my own, suited to taste and one can make the shake in almost any flavor. I use soy milk, a vanilla soy protein powder, vanilla extract, stevia or a tablespoon or real maple syrup, a banana and ice as a basic shake. If I want chocolate I will add raw cacao powder, or for variety add some berries. I also add various nutritional supplements from time to time like acai berry; flax (ground), maca powder, wheat germ, or lecithin granules depending on how (nutritionally) potent I want it to be.

The flax seed is a naturally thickener and the taste goes unnoticed, the lecithin provides no after taste either. One has to go light on the wheat germ, maca, and acai if not used to these products. They all have very unusual flavors and aromas.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful reply! Pumi I never fryed my soya beans off last time either just boiled them straight away, il try to fry them next time and then boil them.

Crescentmoon your protein recepie sounds quite sweet but il give it a go, I have to say at the mo I just drink a glass of soya milk on its own every day!

Thanks again for the helpful replys, may be one day il even try making my own homemade bread, who knows.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Crescentmoon your protein recepie sounds quite sweet but il give it a go, I have to say at the mo I just drink a glass of soya milk on its own every day!
Misleading. In actuality I keep the carb count and sugar count low.

The vanilla-flavoured soy protein powder has 1 net carb.

The soy milk is unsweetened and has 4 net carbs. Unsweetened, mind you, not "plain" soy milk, which actually contains sugar.

You may use half a banana to cut back on carbs or "sweetness" as I commonly do.

The berries (strawberries, bluberries, raspberries) are not sweet at all, but quite tart. Reduce the amount to control the overall carb count.

The shake obtains it sweetness from Stevia, a natural plant-based sweetener, or a tablespoon of maple syrup. Omit the syrup or the stevia and you may be left with the horrible tastes you appear to be trying to avoid.

All of the other ingredients contain no sugar. The acai berry that I use is frozen and unsweetened, as opposed to the sweetened variety commonly used by some.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vitamin world i think has a good protein shakes, I usually get the vanilla and it's not bad at all. I believe they also have chocolate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You won't put any weight on when you consume whey protein.

Protein shakes taste like crap. You can add berries to it, and it will taste like crap with berries. Unfortunately I haven't found any good tasting protein out there in powder form. I haven't had a shake in a while and I'm just using solid foods.
Reflex Instant Whey chocolate or strawberry is really nice... I've been using it for like 8 years or something. I find that it tastes better with water than milk as well...but maybe some would disagree

·
Registered
2 Posts
davis kirch , is pretty good brand , chocolate is the one . Does any one know of a protein shake that does not make you pass lots of wind ?!!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts