Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm elderly and have had psoriasis for about 6 years now. This year is the worst ever. All over my arms (red elbows) etc. and on my legs, especially around my knees. Amlactin is good but so expensive...fixed budget groans when I buy some. Can someone please help? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there,

Soaking your body in kelp and/or bentonite clay infused water is very soothing and detoxifying. Also taking a colloidal oatmeal bath. After the bath, massage your hands with some castor oil mixed with calendula extract and wrap them in plastic bags for a few hours to keep the skin and the cracks as soft as possible. Shea Butter and Tea Tree oil works wonders too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hiya
psoriasis has been the pain in the bum for me for 15 years. ONLY thing that works is UV light therapy (organised by local GP)
Ive used seewead preps, coal tar and clay wraps, steroid cream, soothing oils.....not successful.

Alcohol, coffee and ciggies make it worse. Drink tonnes of water, use an exfoliating bath mitt everyday to slough off scales and moisturize with anything unperfumed. steroids dont work and can actually damge your skin long term. I used emu oil once and it was lovely but I felt guilty wonderinjg if an emu was killed for my skin. I couldnt bring myself to buy it again.

lisax

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Might want to hold off on the plastic. My mother has had psoriasis (3 types ) for the past 25-30 years. She is covered head to foot in ulcers and deep scars. Litterally every inch of her body. Also have a nephew that has a bad case. My mother used Shea Butter to make it bearable. She also used the Plastic wrap method but it seemed to hold in so much moisture and really worsened. Different things work for different people. That's what is nice about this site. Lots of different experiments and you get a good sampling of what other's have been successful with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Psoriasis usually occurs due to autoimmune disorder of the skin results in hyper proliferation of the skin. BioHeal is good product for psoriasis it really works in a few weeks. The Bioheal cream is definitely reduce skin lesions. ...

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
John, I knew all this actually from helping my mother. She feels she looks like a freak show. It is very ugly and so painful. It's robbed her of ALL self-esteem.
She's had so many difficult treatments that she is just "over it" with the whole condition. I'm so sad for her.

·
Registered
679 Posts
i am 61 and i have had psoriasis for about the same amount of time. i know money is tight for me also. i did invest in a cream from MUAC called rosehips and hibiscus scar cream. for me it is a healing cream for my psoriasis. after one application on my arm i noticed improvement. now it took a while to get rid of all the lesions but it worked great with me. if you can't afford it maybe try to make a concoction of these oils yourself. there are plenty of people on this site that can help you do that. but i really did find it amazing. i did start taking vitamin d3 1000 mid way thru my cream. but it honestly worked. i still have break outs but i get out my cream and away they go. i had it on my legs, back, trunk of my body and arms, around my hairline and on my scalp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi beckey ...its so sad to hear about your mother realy , if bioheal is not completely help you then you can also go for some home remedies also, it will surely helps you some natural home remedies that can be helpful in psoriasis like take small amount of almond powder it should be used externally infected area. Sandalwood powder can also be effective. Cabbage is very common home remedy for the psoriasis treatment..Take healthy cabbage soup in regular bases its really helps a lot. As we know garlic is natural blood purifier so it can also be very much effective …..So you can go for these it helps you a lot........

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had it for about 8 years now and have tried a few treatments.
Here is my story...
The most effective (and don't laugh) was Chinese Herbal Medicine. I had to drink this brown sour drink for 2 months, however after that it simply went away - ALL of it, however it did return after a year. Again I went back on the medicine, again it went away, but again it came back.

Finally I went to see a dermo, he prescribed Daivobet (mixture of cortisone and vitamin D) - it seemed to help, however noticed it came back, less frequently than cortisone by itself.
I did some reading, auto immune regulation etc... decided to add in NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine), Forskolin and Vitamin D3 (orally) in my diet for about 4 months. When combining these with the Daivobet, I only get the very infrequent plaque appearing, so I rarely have to use the Daivobet now! I can pretty much safely say I have been psoriasis free for over a year!
What a feeling it is, to be able to go to the beach again!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Thanks for these ideas. Mother has had so many treatments but these are all things she has likely NOT tried. The chemo drugs, she said got rid of it for a good long while. The diet she was on many years ago for it when she first got it, was helpful also. All I know about the diet is tha she HAD to get rid of all CORN and related products.
She cannot afford the chemo meds now so I'm going to try some of this with her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts