Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
blue and sen, how long have you been using the OCM, how often, and exactly what is the formula and process you've been using? Whatever is the issue, I'm sure with all the brains here, we can figure it out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have made a blend of mostly grape kernel oil of regular store bought quality and blended it with just a bit of olive oil. I didn't measure exact. I massage it onto my dry face let it seep in and work for a few minutes then massage a bit more. I must admit I took a cotton pad soaked in the oil and sort of buff my face with it. I used a small damp towel to get the oil of my face, and then a dry one. This is the third night I've used it. In the morning I used plain lukewarm water.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What is the point of OCM? It seems like all my problems started when I tried this...again!

My skin does fine with Aveeno Makeup Removing Cleanser, DHC Oil, Liz Earle Cleanse&Polish and/or just about anything but this!! I'm asking myself why even do this?

And now that I'm all broken out again, what can I do to undo the damage?
grrr!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
352 Posts
i'm with fawnie on having bad acne/clogged pores/even more oil results from the ocm
and i've been so excited and optimistic about trying it, too

have tried grapeseed with castor, jojoba with castor, and rosehip with castor, and am about to give up on ocm but really don't wanna give up

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
blue, not sure what your process it, but it doesn't sound right to me. I don't recall your skin type, but it shouldn't be mostly grapeseed oil. Also, it should be applied to wet skin. You've only been using it for 3 days, so that's not long enough to know if it's working. Olive oil is for dry, mature skin. Is that your skin type?

paillo, grapeseed and castor -- no way! Both are astringent oils. How long have you been doing OCM? Tell us your skin type, please. Sounds like you need to use grapeseed and perhaps olive oil.

fawnie . . . how long have you been using OCM? Hey, if it's not working, so be it, but I don't get it. Something's amiss.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Edensong this is the 3rd day with this try at OCM. First day was OK after using Olio Lusso. Then I mixed Olio with some grapeseed oil and everything went wrong. I woke up with huge painful zits deep in the skin. My skin is normal but it can break out with the wrong products.

In spite of my skin feeling greasy after rinsing it off, it also feels raw and dry....does that make sense?

Guess I should quit experimenting and stick with what works, but this seems to work well for everyone else!

What can I do now to undo the zits?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So sorry Fawnie to hear that the ocm isn't working out for you. I just started with the ocm last night because I was at my wits end with painful cystic zits flaring up on my face. I must admit that I was a bit skeptical to use an oil on my already oily, acne prone skin, but from what I read, you should fight oil with oil. To be cautious though, I did add a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix. I have not tried this method long enough to say how it will effect my acne flare ups, but I can say that after I cleansed with the oils, I used my regular neutrogena deep clean cleanser to rid of any excess oils so as to not defeat the purpose I am trying to achieve. Maybe you could add a few drops of tea tree oil to rid of the zits or you could try not using the ocm but every couple of nights to see if this would help you. Maybe, if you are lucky, you are just purging and will be zit free any day now.

Edensong, I noticed that you said to use this on wet skin, is that correct? For some reason I thought I read to apply to dry skin? Thanks for clarifying!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Peri, PEG-8 is an emulsifier - polyethylene glycol.

I looked at my lecithin caps to think about adding the contents to the OCM but it has soybean oil in it, so that was a no go.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Sorry, peri, but I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot pole. There are a LOT of parabens in this product. Glad it works for you!

fawnie, obviously the Lusso oil mix with the grapeseed isn't working for you. First, I'm guessing the grapeseed is solvent extracted. I know I've seen your formula but I don't recall what's in it at the moment. Not sure why you are using it as a cleanser, as it seems more like a serum. There is something amiss here and I really want to figure it out for you, sweetie.

Yes, sophie, I apply it to damp skin, not dry skin.

fawnie, use the lecithin anyway. The amount is so minimal it isn't worth fussing over just because it's soy based.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think I'd try the OCM. It doesn't really matter that oil solubility is the key to the method, if your pores don't play along then you end up with problems.

I guess if you're intent on trying the OCM then maybe a precleansing would be the best idea.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah, I really don't think I'd try the OCM. It doesn't really matter that oil solubility is the key to the method, if your pores don't play along then you end up with problems.

I guess if you're intent on trying the OCM then maybe a precleansing would be the best idea.
I use this as a pre-cleanser. I remove my makeup and crap off my face with the oil then I use african black soap to get the oil off. It works well for my doing this way. I've been using oil for the last 8+ months now. No major breakouts. I have 1 or 2 in these few months because I keep touching my face which is BAAAAD.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Fawnie,
I've been using the DHC diluted with sunflower seed oil because I have had dry skin. It comes right off with the steaming. You might try to add something to your DHC for oily skin.
My daughter has been using castor, jojoba and a drop of rosehip. She has oily skin and acne and she is loving this method. She says that her skin has not been getting oily all day.
I'm so sorry that your having troubles. It has truly helped my dryness and large pores.
Keep us updated! Wish you luck!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Fawnie..
After reading a lot about ocm, it seems it does not suit everybody. I think you
are right to go back to what works for you. At least you tried it. It suits my
skin but I'm a little slack with it, especially when I'm tired.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Fawie, I think as with absolutely everything there are just some things which don't suit some people. I started using the OCM recently and loved the feeling, its beyond relaxing and my skin did feel wonderful afterwards. However I did get a few zits in the following days. Purging? Perhaps, but I haven't had a red painful type zit in years and its pretty uncharacteristic for my skin, I tend to get tiny millia/clogged pores rather than 'zit' zits. Surely if I was purging I would have seen some zits like this emerging on their own over recent years?
Then I saw this video on youtube:
YouTube - Important Video For Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) Users
She was doing the OCM twice daily which is obviously way too much but if your find you are breaking out more now with the OCM than you were before than maybe it just doesn't suit your skin?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Fawnie,
I've been using the DHC diluted with sunflower seed oil because I have had dry skin. It comes right off with the steaming. You might try to add something to your DHC for oily skin.
My daughter has been using castor, jojoba and a drop of rosehip. She has oily skin and acne and she is loving this method. She says that her skin has not been getting oily all day.
I'm so sorry that your having troubles. It has truly helped my dryness and large pores.
Keep us updated! Wish you luck!!
I forgot that my daughter also uses a drop or two of Tea Tree (this may make a big difference)!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Interesting video, Krystal. As she mentioned, everyone's skin is different and what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another.

I use the OCM about 2 to 3 times a week max.

·
Registered
556 Posts
What is the point of OCM? It seems like all my problems started when I tried this...again!

My skin does fine with Aveeno Makeup Removing Cleanser, DHC Oil, Liz Earle Cleanse&Polish and/or just about anything but this!! I'm asking myself why even do this?

And now that I'm all broken out again, what can I do to undo the damage?
grrr!
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish is the goddess of cleansers for me too....I'm torn between trying something new ('cos it's in my DNA to experiment) and just to stick with what works to well....

If I do then I'll try adding some of the Cleanse & Polish goodies, that is: chamomile extract to soothe, eucalyptus to purify and sweet almond.

Maybe that might be a good variation to try - Fawnie - if you're getting a backlash yet C&P works for you?

Annie

21 - 40 of 242 Posts