Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been active in the SCT community lately, but I have been watching over it. I'd like to share some important information about Pycnogenol.

I began supplementing with Pycnogenol in March of this year. My dose began at 30mg a day and increased to 700mg per day. I've read countless articles about Pycnogenol and its benefits as an antioxidant and ultimately it's lightening potential. I knew from my research how unique and beneficial Pycnogenol was. I required no medication during the spring and summer to control my seasonal allergies. Unfortunately I have underestimated how powerful this extract is. So powerful it is that it can readily cross the blood-brain barrier. I've educated myself extensively on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Too much or too little of these in the wrong balance is disastrous. The details of this is very complicated and I will try to explain this as intelligibly as possible. Pycnogenol reduces dopamine and norepinephrine turnover in the brain.

The neurotransmitter dopamine is the "feel good" chemical in the brain that is responsible for our ability to concentrate and our feelings of happiness. Dopamine activity increases naturally in response to mental or physical stimulation.

This is the reason I've spent the majority of this year with depression. I don't know how to explain depression to someone who has not experienced it. It's like watching everyone else breathe while you drown. I went to a very dark place mentally that I will not delve into too deeply. I had no drive or joy. I felt very little motivation. I would be sad for no reason at all. I didn't want to do anything. My favorite shows lost their appeal, music was noise, life was pointless. I was able to diagnose Pycnogenol as the cause of this because I use an app called Dosecast on my iPhone that manages pill tracking. I noticed a pattern and it was that my depression was worse the higher my supplementation with Pycnogenol during a particular time this year. I discontinued use of Pycnogenol September 17th and I finally am alive again. This is information I wish that I had in March. There is still very little that I am able to find online about other Pycnogenol users that have had similar experiences as mine. I feel a duty to speak out about this for people who use this.

http://www.science20.com/news_account/pycnogenol_reduces_adhd_symptoms_in_kids
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-pine-bark-extract-reduces-adhd-symptoms-in-children-57992282.html

·
Registered
422 Posts
I haven't been active in the SCT community lately, but I have been watching over it. I'd like to share some important information about Pycnogenol.

I began supplementing with Pycnogenol in March of this year. My dose began at 30mg a day and increased to 700mg per day. I've read countless articles about Pycnogenol and its benefits as an antioxidant and ultimately it's lightening potential. I knew from my research how unique and beneficial Pycnogenol was. I required no medication during the spring and summer to control my seasonal allergies. Unfortunately I have underestimated how powerful this extract is. So powerful it is that it can readily cross the blood-brain barrier. I've educated myself extensively on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Too much or too little of these in the wrong balance is disastrous. The details of this is very complicated and I will try to explain this as intelligibly as possible. Pycnogenol reduces dopamine and norepinephrine turnover in the brain.

The neurotransmitter dopamine is the "feel good" chemical in the brain that is responsible for our ability to concentrate and our feelings of happiness. Dopamine activity increases naturally in response to mental or physical stimulation.

This is the reason I've spent the majority of this year with depression. I don't know how to explain depression to someone who has not experienced it. It's like watching everyone else breathe while you drown. I went to a very dark place mentally that I will not delve into too deeply. I had no drive or joy. I felt very little motivation. I would be sad for no reason at all. I didn't want to do anything. My favorite shows lost their appeal, music was noise, life was pointless. I was able to diagnose Pycnogenol as the cause of this because I use an app called Dosecast on my iPhone that manages pill tracking. I noticed a pattern and it was that my depression was worse the higher my supplementation with Pycnogenol during a particular time this year. I discontinued use of Pycnogenol September 17th and I finally am alive again. This is information I wish that I had in March. There is still very little that I am able to find online about other Pycnogenol users that have had similar experiences as mine. I feel a duty to speak out about this for people who use this.

http://www.science20.com/news_account/pycnogenol_reduces_adhd_symptoms_in_kids
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-pine-bark-extract-reduces-adhd-symptoms-in-children-57992282.html

I believe you...I did not want to get into this but the same thing happened to me when I was mega dosing on msm last year and before then in 2008-2009.....it seems 'silly' or 'too problack' but as much as we caramel to dark people hate melanin/dark skin there is science backing up the tremendous benefits that certain levels of melanin plays is our brain...there is melanin In our brains (everyone's brains) and when we decrease the amounts of melanin via the blood it also decreases in our brains which affects how we are sleeping/operating happiness sadness.....also mega dosing on NAC/MSM/PYC ETC.... I know for a FACT Will and Can lighten our skin significantly, however there is research suggesting the glutathione, msm-sulphur-and I would believe pyc ( too much) is a cause for disturbances of our mental functions...almost a calcification of our pineal glands..

Gluta and its derivatives stop L-DOPA in a chain reaction which interrupts melanin synthesis......however, L-dopa is needed for a healthy nervous system so much so they have made the L-dopa synthetically to treat people with Parkinson's disease etc and other blood brain diseases........read the link on L-dopa below........but before that read on how glutathione works via the blood to stop melanin production....long story short people with dark melanin are usually more cool/calm collected ( on average) than people lighter-pale skin...and when we darker people supplement via blood to stop melanin in our skin it also decreaes this needed natural very powerful, very potent substance inside our brains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L-DOPA

Wikipedia on glutathione:

Glutathione has recently been used as an inhibitor of melanin in the cosmetics industry. In countries like Japan and the Philippines, this product is sold as a skin whitening soap. Glutathione competitively inhibits melanin synthesis in the reaction of tyrosinase and L-DOPA by interrupting L-DOPA's ability to bind to tyrosinase during melanin synthesis. The inhibition of melanin synthesis was reversed by increasing the concentration of L-DOPA, but not by increasing tyrosinase. Although the synthesized melanin was aggregated within one hour, the aggregation was inhibited by the addition of glutathione. These results indicate that glutathione inhibits the synthesis and agglutination of melanin by interrupting the function of L-DOPA."[SUP][22][/SUP]

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thank you caius for the warning. You should check out a really cool website called moodgym that teaches people how to use cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) to overcome depression i.e what you think becomes how u feel which translates into a particular behaviour). Although i dont take pycgenol, I take 1tsp of msm a day.i havent really noticed any skin brightening effects but it definitely makes my hair grow faster

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks for the update Caius and I hope all is still well. But to be fair, 700 mg is a lot, almost double the MAXIMUM any site recommends. And if you were taking it from a March to September, you were on the cycle too long as you're suppose to stop after 6 months. Even Pycnogenol isn't long term. I'm starting a daily regimen of supplements and I've included 100 mg of the stuff dissolved in 10 g of cold vodka for ultimate absorption (the antioxidants are more soluble in ethanol than water). Fingers crossed. What have you noticed that were positive effects Caius?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I too thank you for this info. I suffer with depression as it is, and surely don't want to take anything that might exacerbate the problem. It is just like Brandnew said, if you haven't experienced depression, it's very difficult to understand.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thank you so very much for posting this.
There are a great many people who take VERY EXPENSIVE drugs to block serotonin and dopamine receptors in the brain. Drugs with very serious side effects.
It would be great if more research could be done on the use of Pycnogenol for these folks.

Thank you again and I sincerely hope you are well.
Take care of yourself and God bless you.

·
Registered
527 Posts
What is the long-term impact?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think low dose like 100 to 200mg daily is just perfect for the skin and brain! From my own experience is amazing. Apart from the glow in the skin that I haven't really noticed it yet, I feel in a good mood and alert. I hope anyone here that have tried it, let us know what they think please. @arrow @toffee @moon maiden

·
Registered
28 Posts
I greatly appreciate the information! I think it's important for everyone to research the effects of anything they put into their body. As the saying goes, too much of a good thing can turn on you.

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
I think low dose like 100 to 200mg daily is just perfect for the skin and brain! From my own experience is amazing. Apart from the glow in the skin that I haven't really noticed it yet, I feel in a good mood and alert. I hope anyone here that have tried it, let us know what they think please. @arrow @toffee @moon maiden
Haven't tried it if you. It seems to be working well for you how long have you been using it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haven't tried it if you. It seems to be working well for you how long have you been using it?
Oh haven't you? Sorry I thought you already tried it. I think Toffee has tried it. I have been taking it now for a month. What i really have noticed is a good mood lol also i feel more alert and focus. For the skin not very visible results yet. A bit glow and I'm taking v C and MSM with it. Probably for the skin takes time, at least 2 months, im not sure though

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Too much of anything , even a good thing, is bad ....

·
Registered
12,838 Posts
Oh haven't you? Sorry I thought you already tried it. I think Toffee has tried it. I have been taking it now for a month. What i really have noticed is a good mood lol also i feel more alert and focus. For the skin not very visible results yet. A bit glow and I'm taking v C and MSM with it. Probably for the skin takes time, at least 2 months, im not sure though
That sound good i may look into it.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Hi Maryyyy

Is there any particular brand of vitamin c that you use?

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
capsules are expensive , I didn't notice any skin benefits until months later, must be taken with a cocktail of pills for visible skin lightening , not alone

1 - 20 of 22 Posts