Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I haven't been active in the SCT community lately, but I have been watching over it. I'd like to share some important information about Pycnogenol.

I began supplementing with Pycnogenol in March of this year. My dose began at 30mg a day and increased to 700mg per day. I've read countless articles about Pycnogenol and its benefits as an antioxidant and ultimately it's lightening potential. I knew from my research how unique and beneficial Pycnogenol was. I required no medication during the spring and summer to control my seasonal allergies. Unfortunately I have underestimated how powerful this extract is. So powerful it is that it can readily cross the blood-brain barrier. I've educated myself extensively on serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine. Too much or too little of these in the wrong balance is disastrous. The details of this is very complicated and I will try to explain this as intelligibly as possible. Pycnogenol reduces dopamine and norepinephrine turnover in the brain.

The neurotransmitter dopamine is the "feel good" chemical in the brain that is responsible for our ability to concentrate and our feelings of happiness. Dopamine activity increases naturally in response to mental or physical stimulation.

This is the reason I've spent the majority of this year with depression. I don't know how to explain depression to someone who has not experienced it. It's like watching everyone else breathe while you drown. I went to a very dark place mentally that I will not delve into too deeply. I had no drive or joy. I felt very little motivation. I would be sad for no reason at all. I didn't want to do anything. My favorite shows lost their appeal, music was noise, life was pointless. I was able to diagnose Pycnogenol as the cause of this because I use an app called Dosecast on my iPhone that manages pill tracking. I noticed a pattern and it was that my depression was worse the higher my supplementation with Pycnogenol during a particular time this year. I discontinued use of Pycnogenol September 17th and I finally am alive again. This is information I wish that I had in March. There is still very little that I am able to find online about other Pycnogenol users that have had similar experiences as mine. I feel a duty to speak out about this for people who use this.

http://www.science20.com/news_account/pycnogenol_reduces_adhd_symptoms_in_kids
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...duces-adhd-symptoms-in-children-57992282.html

I know this is old, but I just figured out Pycnogenol was causing the same affect. I'm stopping after today. Do you remember how long after you stopped the symptoms wore off?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts