Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Que Pasa!

Hey everyone, just wanted to say HI!

I have been perusing this site all day for about a week now, so I felt it only right to introduce myself. I have learned so much from all of you and it has been such a relief to learn things I never knew before.

Just to give a summary of my issue(s). I am a light/brown-skinned black woman and I am not looking to be lighter as I am pretty happy with my skin tone, I have some pretty dark discolorations from scars, elbows, knees, etc. that I am trying to get rid of. I've tried using bleaching creams/lighteners before, but it didn't seem to work fast enough if at all (I'm a little impatient...) so now that I know a little more of the science behind it, I feel more armed for blowing my discolorations away!

At this point, I ordered some HQ 4% and Retin-A .025% from selldotcom. I also got some HQ crystals and I have my Eucerin lotion (Thanks Ondine for the recipe!!) FYI regarding the recipe posted, you said use the lotion and not the cream, but then when you gave the 3rd step you said put in the remaining cream, but thats supposed to be lotion right? I attempted making my 20% HQ last night, but had a little mishap and have to try again.. sigh

Anyway, this introduction has gone on long enough, so thanks everyone and I look forward to meeting you all!!!

-Scarfree

P.S. I was going to order some Retin-A .1% from ADC and they seem to only have Tretonion (spelling?). Is that the same thing or should it be straight Retin-A?? Haven't quite figured that out yet...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hello & welcome! Posts can get buried rapidly here so don't take it personally if we miss one now & then. So, you;re trying out compounding: I hope you are using all the safety equipment (mask, gloves, goggles, tools & utensils solely for compounding etc.) Since you are spot lightening only, you can try Tri-luma. It is a popular choice for this BUT it can be very expensive. You can also but the HQ4%, The RA & a mild hydrocortisone cream & use the 3 together (home made triluma!).

Screwing up is a part of compounding. What can a person do? It is bound to happen. So long as you learn something from the mistake that is what matters. Eucerin & raw HQ are both relatively cheap so experimenting doesn't have to bankrupt you. Please be sure to post updates!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Most skin lightening preparations work slowly because they work with the skin cell renewal cycle of the body. RA (tretinoin) is an agent that helps speed up the process by hastening skin cell turn-over. It is a major exfoliant that helps shed away accumulated dead skin. 'Bleaching' creams do not actually bleach pre existing melanin. The melanin rich skin must exfoliate over time. People who use freaky & unsafe combinations in order to get super-fast results are risking the integrity & function of their skin (it IS an organ, after all) as well as overall health (mercury, lead & household bleach are all toxic!). Better to grit your teeth & accept that it'll take some time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the responses
I know the posts can get buried pretty quickly since it is such a popular forum, so no offense taken!

And yes, I was fully armed with the proper safety equipment that you listed. I was trying to use a glass that was not Pyrex and boy did I learn my lesson on cutting corners!lol Other than that, at my job I support an assembly line, so I have access to gloves, masks, etc. hehe

I'm starting off slow, so for now I am using the retin-A .025% and HQ 4% at night and the HQ 4% in the mornings. And I'm using jojoba oil to try to combat any excessive drying.. I will be patient and hope for the best.. I will keep updating with the progess I am having for anyone that may be having a similar issue.

Any additional advice is welcome

Scarfree

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question.. has anyone noticed when you mix the Retin-A (.025%) with the HQ (4%), that the mixture becomes really thick and hard to blend in with skin?

I mixed it last night and I had some difficulties with this...

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
when creams are mixed together they are smooth and silky, but if your RetinA is a gel and HQ is a cream then gels and creams dont mix well and become thick and clotty on your skin, it also doesnt work as well either. So order creams with creams and gels with gels. But if hte Retin-A is however a cream then you should mix a dime sized of it with a nickel size of HQ for use on your whole face.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhhh.. makes a lot of sense. Thanks LNL! Guess I will have to put them on seperately.. I'm thinking HQ wait 20-30 minutes and then RA (gel)....?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
even if you do wait to put them on separately, it might help a little but for future reference dont order gel and creams to be used on the face together no matter how long apart you wait to apply them separately.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really?? Why is that, do they give a bad reaction? What about if I do the Retin-A in the evenings and the HQ in the mornings? And as for the rest of my body, would that same rule apply?

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
no theres no bad reaction but the base formula is cream and gels are different adn might interfere with both of its absorption, You CAN definitely do the Retin-A in the evening and HQ in the morning, thats the original La Donna and Ondine regimen.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So do you really need hydrocortisone cream in the Hq formula to help lighten? Can you use a substitute and not a steroid?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The HC is good to have on hand for those minor irritations you might get. It really zaps them fast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts