Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 years ago when I was 20 I developed a sort of rash on the inside of my arm. It started out as a little dot, then a few dots and then it turned into a filled in circle and was pretty red, especially after showering. I then started getting similar things on my calves, (very small and almost identical spots on each calve) I also (later on) got some tiny spots on my hips, (like 2). I went to a dermatologist who told me it looked like eczema, but I've looked at pictures of eczema and my spots didn't look like it, my mom was sure it was ringworm... Anyway he gave me cream and it went away. I have had no occurrences since until a few days ago. There is one spot of bunched spots (about 3) on my left calve, hardly noticeable, covers the area of a dime.

My question is, can eczema just appear randomly on a 20 year old who has (never) had any sort of symptoms or dry skin problems? Does this sound like eczema? The reason I am worried is because any history of eczema is disqualifying for military service. My eczema, (if that is what it is) is so mild I don't even think about it, which I am very thankful.

Is it possible to get such skin rashes for not washing your sheets? (I know that is disgusting)

Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
679 Posts
ringworm starts out as you said. a small dot and that dries up and then a ring forms around that dot and that dries up etc etc. if you have ringworm and it is all over your body i would start to wonder. didn't the derm take a scraping of your spot to send it to a lab to diagnose it? i wouldn't want to question a derm and i certainly am not an expert but dealing with problems for over 34 years at a pharmacy and seeing almost everything it doesn't sound like ezcema it sounds like psoriasis. i have this and yes it can show up at any time stressful times. i never had it until i was 56 yrs old. i thought it was just old age skin but my skin has been so healthy over the years. with ringworm you have to come into contact with the entity. sleeping on dirty sheets can cause ringworm. expecially if it is hot and you perspire a lot. google ringworm and see if your patches look like the pictures. google psoriasis and see if your patches look like this. sometimes derms just say excema when there is a rash. have him test it. do you remember what medicine was prescribed last time? if it was a steroid cream it was for ezcema if it was a fungal infection it would have been an anti fungal cream.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vencasand, thank you for your help.

The dermatologist I visited did not test the spots, he just looked at them and told me it seems to be eczema. Can only dermatologists diagnose it with a test? I remember running into psoriasis while looking for info about what I could have had. The fact that it is triggered by stress makes me wonder if I could have that. I remember the dermatologist gave me a steroid cream, but I didn't even use all of it and I never returned for a checkup visit. I also used anti fungal cream on my own.

To be honest, every one of the spots I had looked exactly like ring worm and nothing like eczema. I found a picture on the internet and this is absolutely identical to what I had on my calves. I had mini ones of these near my elbow. I would have figured a derm would have known what I had, I guess I won't know until I get tested.

this is the pic,

w w w (dot) pediatricweb (dot) com/images/articles/1658/ringworm3_2938_phil (dot) jpg

Thanks again!

·
Registered
192 Posts
oh yea that pic doesn't look like eczema at all. may be go to another derm n get a second opinion.i feel these derms r aways on a run n deal u super fast so they could see their next patient. arrggg

·
Registered
679 Posts
sometimes derms make mistakes because they don't take the time to truly look at a problem. if this continues you could go to your regular doctor. sometimes it is necessary to take oral medication for a while. this can cure the cycle of outbreaks. good luck. change bedding at least once every 1 to 2 weeks. if you work out at a gym make sure you shower well afterwards. gyms are the best places to pick up a fungal infection. i hope you do well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it! I'm going to get to my sheets and try and wash them today. Another cause I have never thought of is the re use my workout pants several times before washing them. I probably shouldn't do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For some reason, the link is not working for me (I replaced the dots with .) Anyway, I wish I could see it because I've had a MONSTER ringworm on my leg when I was a teenager and I'm sure I could spot it if I see it. Does the spot have any liquid/puss in it? If so, you have to go to a dermatologist that will take a sample of the liquid and get it tested. Theres no way to tell just by looking at it. Good Luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, beijaflores, I'm not sure why the link is not working, but if you google ringworm, look at the 3rd and 4rth picture on the top row. I had the same thing on the same part of my arm as the girl. And the picture to the left looks like what I had on my calf. However what I have forming on my calf looks a little bit different than it did before. I'm going to try and take a picture of it and it would be great if you all could take a look. I also have a filled in patch on my ankle in the shape of a circle, it has been there for a very long time, something like a year. It never itches or causes pain, I never think about it really, I'm not sure what that is either. I remember using the steroid cream the doctor gave me for my spots but it did nothing at all. I never had any puss or open wounds on these rashes either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try hyaluronic serum! It works almost instantaneously for my eczema. It's the only thing that actually gets rids of it. Apricot moisturizer is good but nothing compared to hyaluronic serum. You can find it for less then 20 bucks on ebay. I hope this helps!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts