Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered Renova .050% from MedsMex and am sort of worried I should have ordered Retin A instead. My question is are they both basically the same thing? My goal is to treat some wrinkles on the sides of my mouth that I'm a little obsessed about and hope this will make a difference. So is there a difference between Renova and Retin A or are they the same?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Renova is tretinoin (what retin-a is) but it is less harsh due to the mix of emollients in it. It is exactly the same though so do not fear!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much! I would love to put it all over my face but fear the purging that everyone talks about! I am 36 and have smoked off and on for several years so I know there is damage to be corrected on my face. Perhaps I will start in small doses on certain areas of my face

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
thank you so much! I would love to put it all over my face but fear the purging that everyone talks about! I am 36 and have smoked off and on for several years so I know there is damage to be corrected on my face. Perhaps I will start in small doses on certain areas of my face
That would be the wise thing to do, Kiera!
You could dilute it further with emollient such as Vanicream, available at Walmart, if you start getting too irritated. Or you could just push on thru if the irritation isn't too bad.

The purging only lasts a couple weeks. I had it with Green Cream, which is a retinol but not tretinoin. Afterward I was fine with it.

Hope it works great for you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the reason I am concerned about purging is because I used it when I was a teenager. I started out on the gel and went to the cream later. I started my freshman year of high school w/my skin absolutely peeling in sheets and then my face rained zits that seemed to last forever! Granted that was over 22 years ago so hopefully it won't be like that again. I work in a high school and don't want to scare the kids!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Big difference! When you were a teenager you had tons of hidden blemishes that had yet to come to the surface, your skin is in a whole new ballgame now!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
true, true...I'm excited! I can't wait to get this stuff! i believe it will take about two weeks to get here and I just ordered it last night. I heard about medsmex from here. this place is great!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I agree with Lexi - the purging shouldn't be that extreme. I had a few spots here and there. I used LaRoche-Posay Effaclar A.I. to treat them and that worked fine for me.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so do you think that using maybe persagel or something like that will be okay along w/the renova? Also, what would be a good cleanser that is effective yet gentle to chip my makeup off at night?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I'm not sure about Persagel. I used Effaclar A.I. because it doesn't dry out the surrounding skin, just the pimple. It's more of an anti-inflammatory. You could try a salicylic acid product too as long as it isn't too drying.

I have used Dr Hauschka cleansing cream and cleansing lotion at first when starting Retin-A. Now I use DHC Deep Cleansing Oil to get the sunscreen and makeup off and follow with a mild soap or cleansing lotion. I think you really have to play it by ear at first since your skin will be changing....and what works for me might be totally wrong for you. If you have several different types of cleansers on hand you can switch around according to the skin need du jour!!

Some ppl can use strong glycolic cleansers with their Retin-A, and some can only tolerate mild lotion cleansers. It's hard to tell what your skin will be like along the way! But good luck and I hope this helps in a little way!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kiera,
Have you heard of Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)? Basically it's using the oil of your choice or mixture of oils to remove makeup and cleanse your face. Very gentle and moisturizing. I discovered it last summer and have been doing it about every 2-3 days, leaves my skin very soft and smooth. So far it is working well by using tretinoin afterwards. I'm getting the peeling effect, but not so drastic that it's terribly noticeable and uncomfortable.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I too used the OCM and wound up with cystic acne that I thought I had been done with for decades!!! When I switched to DHC Cleansing Oil I didn't have this problem because it contains an emulsifier to break up the oil mixed with dirt on my skin. So OCM isn't for everyone! Just a warning.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Kiera,

According to my research both Retin A and its spin-off Renova both contain tretinoin.
This has been shown to increase collagen. While dermatologists still prescribe Retin A for acne and for aging skin, Renova is formulated specifically for the treatment of aging skin. So you've perhaps chosen the better option with Renova,

Best of luck,

redrose

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks redrose. I did some research also but I alway second guess myself. I am excited to get this started!​

1 - 15 of 15 Posts