Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always looked for titanium or zinc oxide in a sunscreen but when I last saw my derm she said to start with neutrogena... The helioplex doesn't have zinc, I checked the ingredients.

So what gives? Are the derms paid more for recomending neutrogena?

I have found Trish Mcevoy's SPF to be wonderful. It has the Zinc or Titanium oxide.
No smell and I have super sensitive skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Yes I believe they are. Neutrogena gives out tons of samples to derms so they recommend it.

Helioplexâ„¢ is a stabilizer for the chemical sunscreening agents so that they don't break down in the sun as quickly and cause free radical damage. Mexoryl and Tinosorb do the same in Euro sunscreens.

Here is a comparison of Helioplexâ„¢ and Mexorylâ„¢. It looks like whichever manufacturer is doing the study determines which product looks better.
Sunscreen: Helioplex vs Mexoryl | Viva Woman

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are less likely to cause reactions for sensitive ppl but don't provide as long-lasting protection IMO and sometimes leave a white cast which is not attractive on darker skin. The % of zinc oxide has to be around 17% to be effective.

Not sure which Trish sunscreen you are looking at but if it's this one, it's pretty wimpy - only SPF 15 and we don't know the ppd. PPD measures the UVA (aging) protection.
Trish McEvoy

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just started using Paulas Choice ( Ultra-Light Sunscreen Spray Lotion SPF 55 ) and I really like it. I tried the Neutrogena ( the spray ) my skin does not like it at all. I see that the Olay Regenerist line has come out with a new daily serum that has SPF 50 in it. I don't know how good that one is though. I'm happy with the PC for now. Hopefully it is sufficient

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I need a sunscreen that doesn't get gunky. That's the only way I can describe it. I put it on very lightly and still if I touch my face, it's got like a greasy gunk to it. If I rub my face, it will actually ball up and fall off like when you're wet and your skin is peeling, that wet glob of dead skin???? This is really hard to explain!!! LOL! I am currently using the Obagi sunscreen. It's crappy!! I love the other products, but not the sunscreen. It's thick and VERY white.

Anyone have any better suggestions? I can't stand to feel like I have a bunch of products on my face!!!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
When I was out, I stopped and got the Neutrogena 85 SPF, the quick absorbing stuff. I haven't tried it yet, but will tomorrow and report back!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Peter Thomas Roth makes a powder brush on spf 30 (his unwrinkle line full of anti ageing peptides) $ 30 -tinted- undetectable, no chemicals. leaves skin protected and NOT a Chalky white OIL slick....LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts