Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am starting the HQ/ retin A method today...and have a question on applying sunscreen

Do you need to put sunscreen at nighttime? does radiation from artificial light (like normal lighting indoors /in your house) or radiation from computer screens and tv's affect the progress of this method there by requiring one to use sunscreen even when indoors at night?

Maybe its a crazy questioon but i am just not sure..any responses are welcome.

·
Registered
395 Posts
hello pman,
your skin needs protection from uv rays. i dont think you will be affected by any other type of light, but if im wrong im sure ill be corrected.

just as sunbeds that beam artificial uv can tan skin, that same type of light can cause darkening of the skin, uva (and uvb) rays can also penetrate glass and plastic so it would not be a silly idea to wear sunscreen while you are in the house in the day if you get a lot of natural light in the house (i do it because i work near the window and the sun beams straight in from about 11am to 4pm on a clear day)

Im not an expert on sunscreen myself, but i use a sunscreen that does not break down when i am in the sun (i think there is a sunscreen guru in the forum somewhere).

I am not sure about protection at night though - but it may be a good idea if you can put some sunscreen on at least 10-20 mins (i think) before you go out in the sun in the day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your response ninasky..

i agree that sunscreen should be worn regardless of where you are during the day...but i was unsure what to do at night..

im hoping someone in this forum can clarify this question further concerning radiaton from normal lighting indoors and from tvs and computer screens that you would have to deal with at nighttime..

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
A vitamin C E Ferulic serum with a spf of around 8 should offer some indoor protection from uv lighting, etc. Basically though if your getting rays through the window, it's best to have a high spf/ppd sunscreen on. I use a radiation screen on my computer monitor but then again I have an old dinosaur crt monitor. Lcd monitors emit much less radiation.

Ultraviolet radiation indoors: What you don't know can hurt you.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi PMAN! Looks like Periwinkle has come to the rescue. I use sunscreen every day, rain or shine. I apply it a good 20 mins B4 going outdoors. Sun protection comes from the inside too: eat tomatoes; fresh or in pasta sauce & your skin will become more resistant to the sun. This is not a superstition but a scientific fact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts