Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alhough the internet is filled with skin lightening or whitening products whose manufacturers make all sorts of 'vague' claims, I have yet to come across a study, a review or even an objective post in a forum from a client who has successfully 'whitened' decidedly brown skin.

Many people claim their skin got a little lighter, but exactly what that means is unclear. Perhaos some of their colour was a summer tan that faded as fall progressed & not the results of a cream. I am surper curious as to whether or not it can be done! Real scientific verifiable proof (not just anecdotes) would be something to see.

On Ebay, some con artisits are hawking Nur76 (with falsified photos & extravagant claims). Another company (Unilever) makers of Fair & Flawless have produced a series of offensive ads preying on some Indian woman's fears regarding social acceptance.

I believe that it is a human's right to decide what colour they want their skin, hair or eyes to be. I only caution that people be well informed about product safety & effectiveness & have 'sane' realistic expectations. Light skin will NOT automatically make you richer, smarter, 'better' etc. that you are now. Many make this mistake with risky plastic surgery. Instead of an improved look, they expect their entire life to magically become perfect. Before you slather on chemicals, be sure of their safety, their effectiveness & your own motives & expectations.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on, guys! 6 readers & no comments? Where IS everyone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ondine, I'm new. I'm trying to catch up by reading all on skin lightening, my primary interest. Though your post is some months old, I want to respond (as no one else has) and more so because I bought the L'maj Vita Pack and I'm now realizing it is not working or I was duped. There were little red flags (well calculated and concealed) that I brushed off because sometimes you want to believe something works. May be because you are less informed or the con has presented themselves so well you can't see what's behind the smoke screen. I've seen most of it (falsified photos etc) but you can still get caught up. I suppose there needs to be a note of some specific pointers before buying a product. Example, what is the seller claiming. This is a good topic, an eye opener.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Little Erin & welcome to the forum. I was surprised that nobody responded to this since so many here have been ripped off by these same ads. L'maj was outed here as a scam as was a site called m o n o b e n z o n e . n e t . There is a lot of discussion here abou hat is working for people & what is not. Please really read around before buying anything else. You will be equipped to make an informed choice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Ondine for the welcome.

I'm reading around but sometimes you end up buying a product that has 'a few' (recorded) complaints as is the case with L'maj. May be I'm wrong but there isn't much feedback on this product on the Internet other than some unofficial sites promoting it. Thanks anyway for the tip.

Perhaps this isn't the appropriate post to ask, but, I've been reading what's on this site for a while now, trying to catch up - how is your regimen with 20% mono proceeding? With mono, does one lighten (go) all the way or do you use it to your desired lightening? (I would prefer the latter) I read somewhere sometime back that with mono, one has to depig completely, if you stop halfway, you pigment. My understanding was, you've got to use it till all your pigment is gone for it to be permanent.

Thanks and forgive my intrusion of this topic on this post.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem! I've been posting mono updates in a thread on the subject. I plan on adding to it this weekend so keep looking!

Scam sites can usually be spotted by:

1. Vague claims (improves the look of the appearance of the....)
2. Vague testimonials: this product 'really works', 'is so good' etc.
3. Coercive, shaming tactics: "ARE YOU EMBARRASED, UGLY & UNATTRACTIVE?" "Are you NOT getting that good job or guy because of your DARK SKIN?"
4. Misleading images such as using pale white Europeans to sell 'whitening cream' when DNA made the model pale: not some cream.
5. 'Miracle ingredients' claims of 'all natural' or 'Ayurvedic' or no list of what the actual active ingredients are & what concentrations are in them.
5. A whole ton of 'scientific sounding' nonsense that is confusing & bogus.
6. Outrageous prices for small qty's.
7. Claims of 'fast results' (skin exfoliated & is revealed in a cycle)
8. they try to really persuade you into buying the product.
9. Pressure to buy tons of different products because they allegedly 'work synergistically'.
10. Claims that 'celebrities' use them (many celebs look like death warmed over w/o the special make-up & the fog lens). Who says they have good judgment anyways?
11. Misleading 'before & after' photos (a sad dark person photographed w/o a flash, unmade-up & in a dark room with their chin down to create shadows, then the 'same' person made-up, in bright light, chin up & smiling).

Use these guidelines when viewing ads or websites & you'll save your money & your skin much trauma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts